Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 08-12-2010, 03:43 PM

Default Browning Bar accuracy ????

I was thinking about buying a Browning Bar and would like some input on the accuracy of these guns, i'm interested in a 243 caliber, is there a difference between Belgium models compared to models made in Japan accuracy wise? I do handload, any other info on these rifles good or bad would be appreciated.
Old 08-12-2010, 04:16 PM
Banned

i researched these a couple years back and aside from 'black guns' the bar was the one to have over the rem/benelli...i worked with a guy who had a 308 forever and it shot great and downed everything he pointed at it for decades, a couple deer and an elk pretty much every year...now he has a 300wm

can't tell you between belgium/japan....i've wanted to try a shortrac stalker since they came out in .243 or .308....accuracy should be no problem to find

hope you find your answers
Old 08-12-2010, 04:52 PM

Just sold my .308 BAR. I loved that gun. Had it for 30 years Belgium made assembled in Portugal. Just a few things to note though. Because it is semi-auto you might want to avoid soft lead tip bullets as they can deform in the mag as they get cycled into the action. Winchester silver tips or the like work well. I was using TSX with really good accuracy. Barrel is somewhat short and I believe you will get better accuracy with a good bolt action, but I really enjoyed it and it was a killing machine.
Also because of Semi-auto you will need to use small base dies if reloading.

Cleaning can be a little cumbersome and you might want to use a bore quide to clean from the muzzle. Solvent and crud can get pushed down into the action so I liked to have a soft cloth in place to catch any errant solvent.
Old 08-12-2010, 05:19 PM

You can sure try mine old buddy. I might have to take a trip out to the range this weekend anyway.
Old 08-12-2010, 05:30 PM

I had a 300 win mag in a bar nice gun looked good but i could not get it to group better than about 3inches at 100yards.
Old 08-16-2010, 11:08 AM

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by crawfy View Post
I had a 300 win mag in a bar nice gun looked good but i could not get it to group better than about 3inches at 100yards.
Do you roll your own or store purchased? Anyway need to check out what Chuck Hawks has to say on the BAR. Google Chuck Hawks and the BAR.
With the BOSS and some good reloads from what I hear 3/4 inch possible in 7MM don't know about the 300. I've posted on 24hr campfire and got some good info also. Google : Browning BOSS versus stalker: and it should pop up for you on the fire.
Old 08-17-2010, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 378Canuck View Post
Do you roll your own or store purchased? Anyway need to check out what Chuck Hawks has to say on the BAR. Google Chuck Hawks and the BAR.
With the BOSS and some good reloads from what I hear 3/4 inch possible in 7MM don't know about the 300. I've posted on 24hr campfire and got some good info also. Google : Browning BOSS versus stalker: and it should pop up for you on the fire.
No just store bought and no boss, funny thing about that gun though was after two shots the barrel was extremely hot.
Old 08-18-2010, 06:21 AM

I know that the BARs can shoot great as we have a 270 and a 7mm Mag, even with thr right factory they can be 1" or better just have to find what they like to spit out. My buddy has a 300 WM that will put 3 clover leafing at 100 with cheap PMC ammo. If you reload you can tune them up, just need small base dies.
Old 08-18-2010, 06:56 AM

I have handloaded for three '06's, a 300 mag, one 308 and a 7mm in the Browning BAR - none of the new ones however.
The worst was one of the '06's that would do 1 1/2" on a good day.
All the others were right around an inch off the bags for 3 shots, one was even better than that.
I never used small base dies BTW either, just normal RCBS FL dies.
the key is a clean burning powder and tearing the gun down about twice as often as a bolt action.

other than that there is no problem with these rifles and the fellas are still all using them.
Cat
Old 08-18-2010, 08:51 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by crawfy View Post
No just store bought and no boss, funny thing about that gun though was after two shots the barrel was extremely hot.
i'm willing to bet you needed to use a really good copper solvent a few times
Old 08-18-2010, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish_e_o View Post
i'm willing to bet you needed to use a really good copper solvent a few times
did one better sold it and bought a 30-378 weatherby and have not looked back.
Old 08-19-2010, 09:03 AM

I had a Belgium made BAR in 270, it was reliable and helped me take a few deer but I could not find factory ammo that would group better than 3 inches at 100m (only tried 3 different ones) and I wasn't into reloading at that time. I liked the gun but I'm not a fan of semi's for hunting so I sold it. I find that there are many bolt guns out there that cost alot less and shoot just as good or better.

Good luck with what ever you decide.