Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 08-16-2010, 09:55 PM

Default Help with what shotgun to buy

I have a 11 yr old who wants to buy a shotgun.What do i buy for him he wants to duck and goose hunt what do i buy?20-12 ..small barrel or long barrel
Old 08-16-2010, 10:11 PM

There are a lot of things to consider first, before we can help you out.
1: What type of hunting - lots of walking , jump shooting, or layouts?
2: Has he shotgun experience yet, and how well does he hand a big gun - my son was 12 and shooting 200 birds a weekend , but I have seen kids older that could not?
3: Does he plan on hunting upland with the same gun?
4: How many different guns has he shot, and does he show a preference to an action type?
5: what is the budget we have to work with?

short answer is "Remington 870 3" 12 or 20 ", but that is a VERY big generalization!
I'm sure once the crowd here finds out his preferences , and his abilities, there will be other answers!
Cat
Old 08-17-2010, 01:10 AM

I'd say a Beretta 391. Gas operated will take away the sting of the recoil and in a 12 gauge 3" you will be able to have enough firepower for almost any situation. You should check out some youth models as well. The afore mentioned 870 has a good youth model out there, I have one that my wife shoots, but with the way Reminton has been run lately I would steer away from it. If I was looking at a youth model pump I would look at the browning micro. I am pretty sure you can find a gun that allows you to adjust the length of pull by adding and removing spacers. I would do some research on a gun like that so it can grow with your youngster. I also really like a semi auto for follow up shots on waterfowl. This is a learned personal preference though. Bring him to a couple of gun shops and have him "try on a few". Go with the one that he likes and that feels right. Then go to the range and shoot as much a possible. When I was that age I had an uncle who put me to work reloading shotgun shells during the morning and we shot them almost every afternood for about a month. Those were great times.

Oh and Cat's questions are right on the money. All of those should come into play when deciding on a firearm.
Old 08-17-2010, 05:40 PM

he has only shot a shotgun a few times this is y we are looking into buying a gun there will be alot of lay down shooting and blind hunting i see someone said youth models but youth models with a 22 inch barrel is useless with ducks and geese ,? money isnt an issue i need a proper gun .he has shot a semi-auto 1187 and is too heavy he shot a benelli super nova and likes the shot only thing is it again is too heavy to hold up more then one shot
Old 08-17-2010, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmdm03 View Post
he has only shot a shotgun a few times this is y we are looking into buying a gun there will be alot of lay down shooting and blind hunting i see someone said youth models but youth models with a 22 inch barrel is useless with ducks and geese ,? money isnt an issue i need a proper gun .he has shot a semi-auto 1187 and is too heavy he shot a benelli super nova and likes the shot only thing is it again is too heavy to hold up more then one shot
A lightweight framed 20 may be in order, there are some nice ones on the market.
Berreta makes a lightweight semi, and there are a few really nice lightweight O/U's on the market .
Cat
Old 08-17-2010, 07:02 PM

Location: 3rd rock from the sun, formerly from 4th rock from the sun

A semi with a synthetic stock might be a good choice they're are lighter and easier for a smaller person to handle
Old 08-17-2010, 10:28 PM

what size barrel is good for what i need
Old 08-17-2010, 11:32 PM

Location: 3rd rock from the sun, formerly from 4th rock from the sun

28" would be a good start I'd think
Old 08-18-2010, 06:29 PM
Banned

I bought a little Ithaca Model 37 pump in 16 guage when I was 12. The model 37 in 20 guage and 16 guage can be to this day purchased with smaller dimensions.

I worked for me quite well until I HAD to have a 12 gauge.
Old 08-18-2010, 06:35 PM

ooops. sorry
Old 08-18-2010, 08:04 PM

Was out last night and introduced a new shooter, after trying the 5 shot guns we had (2 semi 12ga,391 & silver, 16 ga pump, 16ga u/o and 20ga semi) he settled into the 20ga quite well. Shifted back and forward with the u/o
I asked why? and simply was told. dosn't kick so much.
I also like this gun, winchester SX3.