Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 01-11-2022, 05:06 PM

Default Mule Deer Allocations

I'm sure the management plan states only 10% allocated to outfitters. Many of the high priority mountain, foothill zones are way above that.

https://open.alberta.ca/dataset/4550...eason-2021.pdf

Am I reading this right?

Is AFGA aware of this (a bit rhetorical as I will be contacting them soon)?
Old 01-11-2022, 05:37 PM

Looks pretty close or low in most zones? Or are you factoring in the covid relief from not being allowed hunters in for two years?
Old 01-11-2022, 05:51 PM

Check out WMU 300 and up.

324-330

Many 400's
Old 01-11-2022, 06:26 PM

300, 302, the list goes on. I’ve brought this up multiple times.

-Billy Molls
Old 01-11-2022, 07:51 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLH View Post
Check out WMU 300 and up.

324-330

Many 400's
Check out 100-324

I would bet that a large number of the foothills and mountain allocations go unsold or unfilled every year. They are typically an add on for a moose or elk hunt.
Old 01-11-2022, 06:47 PM

Fairly certain AFGA and others are aware. The government also addressed this question several times during their educational seminars last month on wildlife management and allocations.

My take away from their answers in the seminars - they review the outfitter allocations on a 5-yr cycle (allows outfitters to business plan) but have cancelled/delayed the last 5-yr review several times.

As a result, while they have been making changes to tags for residents, they have not been able to adjust the allocations to outfitters since that is only done as part of the 5yr review. Thus leading to, in some WMUs for some species, outfitters having more than 10% of the allocation and in some rare cases even more tags than residents. It’s also been discussed in a few other posts on this forum - lots of opinions out there on this subject but bottom line is government needs to stop delaying the review.

The cynic in me thinks it’s being delayed because if they lower the outfitter tags (which would likely be the outcome to meet the 10% criteria) it would reduce revenues and the province is strapped for cash still.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-11-2022, 06:56 PM

Where do you find sheep allocations? Specifically 410. There were 5. 10%of the resident tags.
Used to be 50 residents and then 30 now 25. Wait times have doubled since the last time I was drawn. I’m wondering if I’m going to be too old the next time. Or if my kids will ever get that opportunity.
Old 01-11-2022, 06:59 PM

306, 400 wow
Old 01-11-2022, 07:18 PM

Mountain moose and antelope tag ratios way out of whack as well. The resident hunter is getting the shaft.
Old 01-11-2022, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooseRiverTrapper View Post
The resident hunter is getting the shaft.
Rumour is The Canadian resident is getting the shaft this fall as Alberta is supposedly getting rid of hunter host draws for Canadian residents for certain big game draw species like antelope,mule deer,etc.

On A side note if it was my choice a Saskatchewan resident wouldn’t get a big game tag in Alberta as we can’t even go there and hunt a whitetail doe without having a relative who lives there “IF” we get drawn...
Old 01-11-2022, 10:35 PM
Banned

The allotment for outfitters do not go by wmu’s. It goes by “area” . Which means 2-5 wmu’s put together. ( which is total bull****). If you email ESRD they will explain it much better than me. If wmu xxx has 20 mule tag draws and outfitters are allotted 15 tags for that “area” which wmu xxx is in, all their tags may be in wmu xxx.
Old 01-13-2022, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitetail Junkie View Post
Rumour is The Canadian resident is getting the shaft this fall as Alberta is supposedly getting rid of hunter host draws for Canadian residents for certain big game draw species like antelope, mule deer ,etc.

On A side note if it was my choice a Saskatchewan resident wouldn’t get a big game tag in Alberta as we can’t even go there and hunt a whitetail doe without having a relative who lives there “IF” we get drawn...
My thing is reciprocity. Of course Alberta can't be setting policy strictly by what other jurisdictions do. But if there are serious walls in place against Albertans seeking hunting ops elsewhere, then residents of those places should be limited to what they can access here.
Old 01-13-2022, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitetail Junkie View Post
Rumour is The Canadian resident is getting the shaft this fall as Alberta is supposedly getting rid of hunter host draws for Canadian residents for certain big game draw species like antelope,mule deer,etc.

That’s a good start.
Old 01-17-2022, 10:00 AM

And to somewhat counter my own argument and add to your own - we should increase costs on tags and draws so that we can better fund and hence better manage our wildlife and public resource. More $ for more enforcement, more aerial surveys, more work to stabilize and increase sheep and moose populations rather than relying on the generous donations of people like you (I don’t know you personally but have seen from your posts it’s clear you spend a lot more supporting conservation than I do).

Arguing for costs increases has to be rooted in the right reasons - otherwise those same cost increases will get used against us (and I don’t think it’s a stretch to see the AGLA use it - in October they submitted a letter that reading between the lines is trying to give leaseholders the right do limit access at their discretion and essentially treat it as any other lease - eg. a home or lease on private land).

Old 01-21-2022, 03:57 PM

Default Mule Deer Allocations

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLH View Post
I'm sure the management plan states only 10% allocated to outfitters. Many of the high priority mountain, foothill zones are way above that.

https://open.alberta.ca/dataset/4550...eason-2021.pdf

Am I reading this right?

Is AFGA aware of this (a bit rhetorical as I will be contacting them soon)?

You sure kicked a wasps nests with this post