Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 07-11-2014, 09:17 PM

Default For Ya Fly Fishing Junkies

I was up to the mountains this past week getting tons of fly fishing in. I fished lots of streams, rivers and lakes. The rivers and streams were fishing good for how high they were, but they are fishable so long as you use the right method. I fished Waterton National Park multiple places, Crows Nest Valley, and the Oldman Head Waters. The fly that I caught the most fish on, surprisingly to me, was the old stimulator. I thought that I'd do better nymphing or on streamers with the high water, but they were going for my Stimulators. Caught lots of Rainbows and Brookies, saw quite a few cut throats in waterton and in the Oldman Headwaters, even saw one 2 pound Bull fishing Oldman Headwaters. Any of you interested in using a stimulator, but don't know how to make it:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xCO2...z7Cpup-SpxgKWf
Cheers and tight lines.
Old 07-13-2014, 10:32 AM

I concur with this, I was on a mountain stream yesterday crushing with a stimulator. It seemed like every second cast I was getting a rise, epic!

I tried swinging wet flies too but I only got a couple out of a decent amount of casts, definitely not as effective as the stimmy
Old 07-13-2014, 05:36 PM

The thing that I like about the stimulator, is that it seems to copy a variety of bugs. If the grasshoppers are out in large numbers, it works. If the caddis flies are out, it works. If there is another hatch happening, it works. Just seems like a very versatile fly. I like to tie them in sizes ranging from 16-10 to make sure I have a great variety of possibilities.
Old 07-13-2014, 10:03 PM

would any stimulator work (would the orange work for example, they dont really look like yours though)
Old 07-13-2014, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the11fisherman View Post
The thing that I like about the stimulator, is that it seems to copy a variety of bugs. If the grasshoppers are out in large numbers, it works. If the caddis flies are out, it works. If there is another hatch happening, it works. Just seems like a very versatile fly. I like to tie them in sizes ranging from 16-10 to make sure I have a great variety of possibilities.
kind of like the woolly bugger
Old 07-14-2014, 07:19 AM

Old 07-14-2014, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinN'flyfish View Post
would any stimulator work (would the orange work for example, they dont really look like yours though)
Probably. I just used the patterns that I have seen repeatedly in Magazines and the Fly Fishing Bible. All showed the same, but a variation should work. I do a lot a variation with other flies to make improvements, but I've never found a need with the stimulator.
Old 07-14-2014, 07:22 AM

Quote:
kind of like the woolly bugger
Not really............... especially when the woolly bugger is a wet fly whereas the stimulator is a dry.
Old 07-14-2014, 10:28 AM

Quote:
The orange variety is usually my go to stimulator. I have good luck with it on the castle on Saturday.
Old 07-14-2014, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the11fisherman View Post
Not really............... especially when the woolly bugger is a wet fly whereas the stimulator is a dry.
I think he just meant they're both versatile and imitate several things.
Old 07-14-2014, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgaryguy1977 View Post
true true
Old 07-14-2014, 01:11 PM

Quote:
exactly what i meant....
Old 07-14-2014, 07:09 PM
Banned

You can tie WBs wet or dry... no? I'm sure i've read of people fishing them dry...
Old 07-15-2014, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drhu22 View Post
You can tie WBs wet or dry... no? I'm sure i've read of people fishing them dry...
You would have to make some dramatic changes to make a WB into a dry fly, basically a recreation. Most people put some wire around their hook to make them sink faster. The body is made out of material that is supposed to take on water fast and the hackle that is used is soft and also is supposed to take on water(Thus allowing it to sink fast). You would have to just about replace everything used for the wet WB with new material that repels water to make a dry version. I 'm not saying it is impossible, but with all the changes that you would have to make, it will probably by called something else(by the rest of the fly fisherman in the world) by the time you are done making it floatable.
Old 07-16-2014, 07:03 AM

Headin back to Waterton for a few days again, see if I pull off the same stunt this time with the Stimulator, or if they go for something else entirely this time.
Old 07-16-2014, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Not sure what a dry woolly bugger would attempt to imitate. You're probably thinking of a muddler minnow fished dry to imitate a grasshopper or stonefly.

See the Name That Fly post.

Cheers
Old 07-19-2014, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Current View Post
Not sure what a dry woolly bugger would attempt to imitate. You're probably thinking of a muddler minnow fished dry to imitate a grasshopper or stonefly.

Cheers
that is what I was thinking might by goin on there.
Old 07-22-2014, 09:04 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Current View Post
Cheers
Nope, turns out I was thinking of a wooly worm. As I'm sure most of you know its sort of a caterpillar imitation, or maybe an attractor type fly.
https://swittersb.files.wordpress.co...pg?w=998&h=774
Old 07-22-2014, 09:31 PM

I practically 'worn' an orange 'Stimie' out fishing a contributory to the Crowsnest. It started to unravel when every Cutty hit it.

It started looking like a streamer at about two inches long. Great hook along with that tried and true Elk Hair Caddis. Both are my favorite flies for that area.
Old 07-23-2014, 06:40 AM

Yellow ones I tie work great and often out fish the orange. A bit of foam and they float forever.

My blog - casting on the waters

fishing regulations and facts on fish handling
Fishing Regulations
Old 07-23-2014, 09:21 AM

The great thing about fly fishing and when you tie your own flies is that you can forever tweak with the designs of flies until you find what you figure to be the master fly. It also always depends on where you are fly fishing and what is hatching while you are there. I personally have always found that the yellow always out fishes the orange and then I find that sometimes using grizzly hackle works better than red and brown hackle.

Typically when I show up to a location that I figure that I can fish dry flies, out comes the fly that I show in the video. If they do not go for that, then I switch the variation. IF they don't go for that I typically start nymphing, but that rarely happens luckily. I'd rather dry then nymph or streamer.
Old 07-23-2014, 08:04 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lornce View Post
Yellow ones I tie work great and often out fish the orange. A bit of foam and they float forever.
That's a tasty looking fly... i'ld eat that if I was a trout.
Old 07-23-2014, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lornce View Post
Beautiful fly Lornce!!
Old 07-23-2014, 08:28 PM
Banned

Could you show one tied with foam?
Old 07-23-2014, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Beautiful fly Lornce!!
x2
Old 07-27-2014, 08:00 PM

Quote: