Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 12-22-2006, 12:41 PM
Pretty or

Default Pretty or Ugly Racks, does it matter to you?

I've been 10 yrds from the ugliest 6x6 with bow in hand that i could have killed a bunch of times over...he probably would have scored in the 160's but i couldn't bring myself to do it. I couldn't put his ugly arse on my wall. Anyone else think like this?

He had one of those 'american' racks, where the main beams just kind of come out and go upwards...don't level of and loop around like a 'whitetail should look'....it's certainly not all about the inches with me...what would you do? Does anyone else find themselves unable to shoot real ugly racks?

B
Old 12-22-2006, 01:09 PM
Yo

Default Yo

Like that '180' buck in Nube's trail cam pics...i'd probably have to drop string due to shear mass/stickers etc. but i'd still look at him on the wall and call him an ugly bast__d everytime i walked past him.:lol

B
Old 12-22-2006, 01:10 PM
Grizz Pizz

I love knarly racks... I shoot for inches in all honesty... Bigger is always better when it comes to racks!!
Old 12-22-2006, 01:44 PM
nube

Shoot for the inches. I have a clean 174 rack 5x5 and I would trade him for a narly weird deer that scored less anyday. Especialy when there are stickers and kickers and drop tines.
Old 12-22-2006, 01:44 PM
sheep hunter

LOL...is this a serious question! I can find beauty in any big set of deer antlers.
Old 12-22-2006, 01:52 PM
Rackmastr

Hah yep I'm with SH on this one.......
Old 12-22-2006, 01:53 PM
No actuall

Default No actually....

Actually it is a serious question but i do find it funny as hell....this is a real situation...just couldn't do it...really was an ugly deer. If he was heavy as hell then i probably could, all he had going for him was pretty typical(not much deductions) and spindly white ugly arse rack.:lol :lol Just reminded me of so many deer i see shot on t.v. down south where the main beams just head for the sky. I would laugh everytime i saw his ugly head on my wall so passed him up.

Is there something wrong with me?:lol

I like those wide traditional looking deer, don't get me wrong, a decent deer with kickers/junk/mass is definitely in my scope....but what would really blow my hair back would be a 21" plus inside spread with the real deal main beams that come out front like they should etc. drop tines/stickers yes...i guess you would have just had to seen the deer....really was ugly.:rollin

B
Old 12-22-2006, 02:20 PM
I guess

Default I guess

in all honesty if enough inches go by me then it won't matter how ugly...ie: that one in Nube's trail cam pics has enough going on but he's still an ugly sob in my book:lol (no offense nube) i'd take a clean 5 or 6 over that deer if gross score was equal...given the choice

i'm alone on this one? lol, won't be the first time...i must be one fussy little doobie

B:lol
Old 12-22-2006, 02:21 PM
Cowboy Al

Default beauty

Personally I like racks with character, but beauty is in the eye of the beholder.......:hat
Old 12-22-2006, 02:47 PM
shotgun

Default Re: beauty

Go for the one of a kind.
Old 12-22-2006, 02:55 PM
Yo Yo Yo

Default Yo Yo Yo

Clean 'pretty' 180 6x6 isn't one of a kind? I think you'll find that harder to find than a non-typical the same size...just my thoughts. The bigger they get the more apt. to go gnarly?

I've seen lots of big deer on the walls...not many clean 180 6x6's whitetails. I must run in different circles.
Old 12-22-2006, 04:46 PM
HUNTNUT

Default Re: Yo Yo Yo

Personally I like racks with character, but beauty is in the eye of the beholder.......

X2
Old 12-22-2006, 05:53 PM
Brady

Default Re: No actually....

Quote:
Is there something wrong with me
Do you really want/need an answer to that one??

Quote:
and call him an ugly bast__d everytime i walked past him.:lol
You defineately can be describtive there bud. You kill me.:rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin

Seriously, If it meets my expectations, a good batch of venison, that will feed my family, bango, I don't look at the antlers, or at least try to, until I approach the fallen beast. I try not to shoot anything less then an even with the ears basic 4 X 4. So far hunting by these personal guidelines, I have a handfull of 4 X 4 hatracks, and have been lucky enough to get two bucks worthy of the wall. The first a nice skinny racked wide 5 X 5, and a nice not so typical, that goes into the high 170's. These were just gravy on the jerky sort o speak.
Old 12-22-2006, 11:56 PM
bruceba

Default Re: No actually....

I would have to admitt I'm looking for as ugly as it can come.
Here's ugly a friend shot and an ugly shed either of which I'd of shot.

Old 12-23-2006, 08:51 AM
muley300

Default Racks

Nothing wrong with a little personallity, but it's all in the eye of the beholder.
Old 12-23-2006, 10:29 AM
varmitr

Default the ol' jordan vs hanson choice

personally i like a "big box" on a bucks head. i dont like "leaf rakes"=wide spread, no beam curl and short points.
given a chance and a choice i would shoot the hanson buck on area before the jordan buck on mass, even if they scored the same, 'weight' is secondary to me. thats not say if heavy hog steps out, he gonna get lead tossed!!
a true trophy hunter should not shoot a nice (140-150) deer and opt for a doe or a deformed horn animal instead.
a 150 is next years 165 etc...this is how 200's are made
Old 12-23-2006, 10:45 AM
RockyMountainMusic

Default Re: the ol' jordan vs hanson choice

This is where i differ from most, i dont really like non typicals. Don't get me wrong if a monster freak was in my scope i would take him just so i could rub in in my buddies faces because they all like the junk but not this fella. I would rather a nice perfect even 5x5. There are deffinetly some non-typicals that look nice like the one my brother shot this year(170's) he has a few stickers a drop tine. But different strokes for different folks i guess. I'll post his pic when he finally sends it to me.
Old 12-23-2006, 11:09 AM
Barbwire

Id shoot a big narly non-typical buck before a big typical anyday. What can I say, I like lots of junk.

Barbwire
Old 12-23-2006, 05:21 PM
Blakeinator2

Wow, the one with the 1/2 dink buck for a brow tine is pretty unique:eek . I've seen two young deer now that have had one of their horns grow right across their face...taxidermist tells me thats pretty rare and he'd love a chance at a deer like that? I thought it was bad enough it was a tiny dink but then have one of his horns grow down to his nose....ugly deer...i'd chuckle everytime i walked by something like that. One of them i had under my tree for about 10 minutes...the other one i saw a couple years later and 50 miles away.

Brady, your non-typical is awesome, looks like a whitetail...tons of character...the only character that that 6x6 i passed on had was he was maybe the single ugliest deer i'd ever seen in person....he was so ugly i don't think i could have eaten him. :lol

Anyhow, been interesting reading so far. Watch out for those ugly deer guys.

B
Old 12-23-2006, 08:32 PM
Davey Crocket

Im with Barbwire.... bring on the narliest rack, heavy, dark, and right full of junk stickin out everywhere. Score wise, dont care, I like character... & lots of it. I really like a wide spread typical, long beams, big brows & long tines too... but if I had them standing side by side, I know which one that would be ridin' shotgun in the back of my 4 by 4 all the way home with me.
Old 12-23-2006, 08:48 PM
BeerSlayer1

Personally, I'm holding out for the ultra-rare, two headed, siamese twin, B&C whitetail. They are very rare! One head carries a 170+ typical rack while the other has a 195+ non typical one. I've never seen one, but I'm sure there's one out there somewhere.

Anyone walking by the mount on my wall will surely find something that pleases them. It's kind of like having the best of both worlds.

If anyone has any trail cam pictures of such a buck, please notify me immediately.

:rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin
Old 12-23-2006, 09:53 PM
varmitr

beerslayer...
i hope your not driving while on this medication,
maybe you get a lighter dose.
a siamese twin headed deer!!?!?!?,
man, do you have alot to learn about animal toxonomy....it has a head at each end, that way it can see whats chasin them...
siamese twin B+C deer::jeez
Old 12-24-2006, 12:19 PM
BeerSlayer1

Just tryin to lightin things up for over-uptight people like yourself varmit. Try smiling once in a while, it won't kill ya!

If you think there was ANYTHING serious in that post, well then the jokes on you.......... good grief!:rollin :lol :rollin :lol :rollin :lol :rollin :lol :rollin
Old 12-25-2006, 12:42 AM
Davey Crocket

Darn it any ways......, I had yanks bookin up ta '09 fer a chance at one of them 2 headed B&C monsters, hmmmm, back ta the drawin' board...........|I
Old 12-25-2006, 02:27 AM
7 REM MAG

hey beerslayer i dont have anypics but ur deer nearly came over the hood and through the windshield of my jeep last week in strathscona near the rge. rd. 210 entrance to blackfoot lol
Old 12-25-2006, 04:08 PM
grandzillaa

Whatever!
Old 01-11-2007, 05:38 PM
BeerSlayer1

Quote:
beerslayer...
i hope your not driving while on this medication,
maybe you get a lighter dose.
a siamese twin headed deer!!?!?!?,
man, do you have alot to learn about animal toxonomy...
He, he, there ya go Varmit!

I heard it was shot by a nuclear reactor.:rollin :lol :eek 0]
Old 01-11-2007, 07:14 PM
varmitr

did you happen to read the last part of the sentence after the word toxonomy...
"....it has a head at each end, that way it can see whats chasin them..."
hey beer, thats is the only way Ill get to shoot a deer that is over 200" if it has two 100 inch racks.
cheers!!
Old 01-11-2007, 10:59 PM
walleyes

Default back on topic

Just to get back to the original topic. It would depend on the size of the antlers. I am not a big fan of non typical racks, I have in past years past up more than one non typ in the 160 to 170 range, I would take one if the chance came up with one quite larger. It takes a big non typ to get me excited I don't know why but I just don't care for them...