Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 05-17-2020, 09:24 PM

Default Poorly machined bolt face, will it affect accuracy? Brass?

I bought a really nice Husqvarna 1600 in 30.06. But the bolt face looks super rough. Very rough. Will it affect accuracy, brass, other things?
Clayton
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CDF7A39C-77BE-4816-9A5A-9BE13D64B303.jpg (13.8 KB, 300 views)
File Type: jpg 32DE9FB9-98FC-470A-BEDE-1E89F6C4B528.jpg (13.4 KB, 234 views)
Old 05-17-2020, 09:38 PM

That looks bad enough to cause issues with the brass after firing. You would have to shoot it to see if if affects how it shoots but I would think it would.
Old 05-18-2020, 09:46 AM

Doubt it will hurt accuracy, but I’m worried somebody took a Dremel to the bolt face, which could mess up the rifles headspace.
I’d have the headspace checked, and if ok, I’d buy a box of Federal blue box 180’s and see how it shoots.

There are no absolutes
Old 05-18-2020, 09:46 AM

Default Headspace

Im more suspect to why it was done? Does not look factory to me, worse case scenario someone put a new barrel on it and decided to headspace it by the bolt face? Who knows? I would check headspace with guages, if its good, shoot away.
Any work you do cleaning that bolt face will result in a headspace change. How much would depend on how much material is removed.

Ah Dick got it!
Old 05-18-2020, 10:08 AM

Whatever the reason that is not good. Could have been Bubba head space, cleaning up blown primer damage, stuck case damage etc. My advice would be
to take it in and have the gun examined for over pressure damage, have the bolt face cleaned up and the head space checked.
Old 05-18-2020, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full Curl Earl View Post
Im more suspect to why it was done? Does not look factory to me, worse case scenario someone put a new barrel on it and decided to headspace it by the bolt face? Who knows? I would check headspace with guages, if its good, shoot away.
Any work you do cleaning that bolt face will result in a headspace change. How much would depend on how much material is removed.

Ah Dick got it!
Husky's have a good reputation for quality, Thinking Bubba.

Grizz
Old 05-18-2020, 10:24 AM

Looks like the bolt was a bit loose in the fixture or the cutter was a bit loose when that one was machined. Cutter may have been dull also. If anyone had trued it up it there's a 99.99% chance it would have been done on a lathe, not a mill.
Shouldn't hurt anything. How does the brass look after firing?
Old 05-19-2020, 11:11 AM

It definitely not pretty. Shouldn’t bother accuracy. It maybe possible to clean it up .
2 things may occur if one does

1 headspace will be changed - maybe excessive
2 it may loosen the hold the extractor has on the case against bolt face and cause poor ejection
Old 05-19-2020, 05:40 PM

I decided to send it back to the seller (store). The replies are appreciated.
Old 05-23-2020, 03:29 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by claykuch View Post
I decided to send it back to the seller (store). The replies are appreciated.
Who was the seller?
Old 05-24-2020, 11:10 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by claykuch View Post
I bought a really nice Husqvarna 1600 in 30.06. But the bolt face looks super rough. Very rough. Will it affect accuracy, brass, other things?
Clayton
Retailer?
Old 05-24-2020, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy1 View Post
Retailer?
He clearly doesn't want to say, nor would I. The seller obviously took the gun back with no problems so why slag or out him on here. Selling any amount of used guns the seller may have never looked close enough at the bolt to notice the issue. He made it right so what's the problem?
Old 05-24-2020, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Who was the seller?
Why are you so bent on slagging people, businesses, or things?

The business took the firearm back, and if you think every firearm gets a detailed going over when brought in as used, you’re dreaming in technicolor.

At the end of the day the rifle was returned, so this is a happy ending.

There are no absolutes

Last edited by Dick284; 05-24-2020 at 12:42 PM.
Old 05-24-2020, 07:17 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick284 View Post

The business took the firearm back, and if you think every firearm gets a detailed going over when brought in as used, you’re dreaming in technicolor.

Honestly slagging? Good to see your mindset. Sorry to see it is negative but that's your issue. Safety first in every aspect. No need to make excuses unnecessarily. Maybe take a nap and try rising on the orher side. Fingers crossed.
Old 05-24-2020, 07:23 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
He clearly doesn't want to say, nor would I. The seller obviously took the gun back with no problems so why slag or out him on here. Selling any amount of used guns the seller may have never looked close enough at the bolt to notice the issue. He made it right so what's the problem?
Wow..birds of a feather. Negativity is astounding. One thing is for certain. Learning what a few guys on this board are all about. Shameful to jump to conclusions. When dealing with some retailers you may have to be a bit more diligent regardless of opinion. Some shops are far more astute and knowledgable.

Perhas minding your own business if you have nothing positive to add would be in order.
Old 05-24-2020, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Wow..birds of a feather. Negativity is astounding. One thing is for certain. Learning what a few guys on this board are all about. Shameful to jump to conclusions. When dealing with some retailers you may have to be a bit more diligent regardless of opinion. Some shops are far more astute and knowledgable.

Perhas minding your own business if you have nothing positive to add would be in order.
Perhaps I am not jumping to conclusions or assuming too much. I didn't respond the first time u asked and neither did the OP or anyone else. You asked the second time, so that is why I responded. The OP owes u nothing, if he is satisfied with the seller then it is plain and simply none of you business. If anyone is sticking their nose in where it doesn't belong it is u and I did not see a single thing positive that u added to this thread. At least the rest of us tried to help answer the OPs original question.
Old 05-24-2020, 07:40 PM

Quote:

I agree, happy ending. Everyone makes mistakes, even professionals that one would hold to a higher standard than joe blow.
It's all how the mistake is rectified that determines quality of the business.

Some people may want to know which retailer it was to know that when a problem arises everything will be made right.

Glad it worked out for you Clay
Old 05-24-2020, 08:08 PM

Quote:

No kidding. Sounds like everyone was looked after in the end.
Old 05-24-2020, 09:24 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
Perhaps I am not jumping to conclusions or assuming too much. I didn't respond the first time u asked and neither did the OP or anyone else. You asked the second time, so that is why I responded. The OP owes u nothing, if he is satisfied with the seller then it is plain and simply none of you business. If anyone is sticking their nose in where it doesn't belong it is u and I did not see a single thing positive that u added to this thread. At least the rest of us tried to help answer the OPs original question.

Delusional. Don't respond if u can't keep it positive. Grow up and let free speech discussion continue. Is the OP in your face 24 / 7? Goodness. Simple question stop creating problems.
Old 05-25-2020, 07:31 AM

Default Closed

Closing as the Op has resolved the issue with the gun in question.