Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 05-26-2020, 11:40 AM

Default Boat Operator's License

Hi all. Who has the authority to check boat operators license? Is it F&W? I've been visited on the water by F&W many times over the years, but have never been asked for this.

If you are pulling a boat on highway, and sheriffs pull you over (for speeding say) do they ask you for it?

Thanks in advance - Jay
Old 05-26-2020, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBFranklin View Post
Hi all. Who has the authority to check boat operators license? Is it F&W? I've been visited on the water by F&W many times over the years, but have never been asked for this.

If you are pulling a boat on highway, and sheriffs pull you over (for speeding say) do they ask you for it?

Thanks in advance - Jay
Apparently the RCMPs at Sylvan have asked friends for it in the past.

I have never, ever been asked for my boating license, and I've boated my whole life in Ontario, a bit on the BC coast, and in S. Alberta a ton.

I'd be shocked and frankly laugh at a F&W or RC if they asked me lol
Old 05-26-2020, 12:13 PM

I would see no reason for an RCMP or Sheriff to ask cause you just might be delivering and not operating the boat. RCMP and F&W on the lake a whole different story. Soon as you pull up and gonna launch they can ask. Have only been asked once in 15 years. That was in Revelstoke. Seen em coming and the game was on. They power up, I power up , they stop at the next boat, I stop. Was a game of tag or catch me if you can. Let them catch up. That was F&W. They were more interested in any fish caught, anything in the live well, our fishing licence, what we were using, what I had for safety items. Even asked them where the fishing was better and he said about 8 km back to where we were. They were really professional about everything and we actually had a couple good laughs with them. Wish there were more of them to catch poachers. Need em on shore and on the water.
Old 05-26-2020, 12:24 PM

Oh ya Boat Operator's License...... no driving or operating test. Just a written test. HMMMMMM One might think a practical should be involved.
Can you canoe? Yes. Ok, then you should be able to operate this 22ft with a little 300hp cause you answered all the questions and got 80% right. Bon Voyage
Old 05-26-2020, 12:41 PM

Its nothing more than another form of TAX, a federal money grab
Old 05-26-2020, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwelds191 View Post

I'd be shocked and frankly laugh at a F&W or RC if they asked me lol
Why? Just hand them your Boaters license and be done with it.
Old 05-26-2020, 01:05 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

when I get checked out by any LEO on the water I show them both but RCMP want the want the operator license...F&W just your angling license..

On the highway just your drivers license is required.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 05-26-2020, 01:15 PM

I suspect it would come into play if you were involved in a boating accident. No license and insurance would likely try to pull coverage.

I’ve never had it checked once. My kids have written the test. Write it when you are 12 and it’s good for life. Horsepower rating limits change at 14 and 16 with no rewriting. So write the test at 12 and when you turn 16 you can run any pleasure craft. Seems like it’s less about capability and more about ticking a box.

YouTube: Harder Outdoors
Instagram: @harderoutdoors
FB: HarderOutdoors
Old 05-26-2020, 01:22 PM

Thanks all. I appreciate the responses.
Old 05-26-2020, 01:43 PM

I am always legal on and off the water. Go ahead and ask me to produce any license for what I am doing. sHa_sarcasticlol: Just can't use the CIL 15 countdown Canadian Lures.
Old 05-26-2020, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick0danger View Post
Why? Just hand them your Boaters license and be done with it.
I was going to write an essay, then I realized it's not worth it. I'd laugh because producing the license proves nothing on my behalf to the authorities.

But your method would work great I'm sure.
Old 05-26-2020, 02:59 PM

I was asked one time at Calling. RCMP was on a boat with F&W guy driving . The RC asked me and I said I do have it. This guy was lazy I guess because I didn’t even pull it out of my wallet. Cops. Lol.
Old 05-26-2020, 03:15 PM

It is basically a federal govt license not provincial so our F&W really is not interested but it is for the federal RCMP.
Old 05-26-2020, 04:47 PM

Two years back my son and I were checked on Tie Lake by the COs. They asked for everything. Fishing license, boat license and boat registration. First time in 40 years of operating a boat.
Old 05-26-2020, 04:57 PM

Legally any peace officer or someone who is designated as public officer can ask to see it if they have reason to believe you were operating a motorized watercraft.

"The problem was this little thing called the government and laws."
Old 05-26-2020, 05:40 PM

I was asked on upper Kananaskis lake but there was a parks warden and a rcmp officer both on the boat.
Old 05-26-2020, 05:42 PM

If you have your boat in the water it is fair game for both F&W and RCMP to ask to see your boating license and your boating safety supplies. I have been checked by both

I have never been asked when towing a boat and I see no reason why they would
Old 05-26-2020, 06:04 PM

I have been asked for both on 3 occasions over the last 5 years fortunately I was compliant each time ......
Old 05-27-2020, 05:59 AM

I remember when this was first implemented....punks running around on Seadoo's etc....I sat back and said to myself only a matter of time and the law will step in....same as drones etc....if we keep acting up then there will be an actual operators on water test etc...all back logged...then you will hear the bitching.

Old 05-27-2020, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
I remember when this was first implemented....punks running around on Seadoo's etc....I sat back and said to myself only a matter of time and the law will step in....same as drones etc....if we keep acting up then there will be an actual operators on water test etc...all back logged...then you will hear the bitching.
I don’t think the boaters license has changed anything at all still plenty of people acting stupid and if anything it’s increased with the population

I am all for the mandatory safety supplies but the boating license is a joke. Safety enforcement would have be valid and target the problem the boating license does not address the issue.
Old 05-27-2020, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoky buck View Post
I don’t think the boaters license has changed anything at all still plenty of people acting stupid and if anything it’s increased with the population

I am all for the mandatory safety supplies but the boating license is a joke. Safety enforcement would have be valid and target the problem the boating license does not address the issue.
idiots and increased population goes hand in hand....boating license was implemented for that reason but it does from a paper/course perspective open people eyes...it did to me...man there is a lot of stuff I didn't know but do now....did it make me a safer boater...nope...but gives a LEO a reason to ticket you in addition to the reason they stopped you...safety enforcement comes down to cash from the guberment to fund additional officers but that aint going to happen...no perfect system out there...

Old 05-27-2020, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbless View Post
Oh ya Boat Operator's License...... no driving or operating test. Just a written test. HMMMMMM One might think a practical should be involved.
Can you canoe? Yes. Ok, then you should be able to operate this 22ft with a little 300hp cause you answered all the questions and got 80% right. Bon Voyage
Getting a fishing licence does not mean you know how to fish either. The Boat licence i took was not even relevant to anything but boating in the ocean. 80 percent of the course and test was about buoys. Dont see many of those in alberta.
Old 05-27-2020, 08:41 AM

As i prev posted...... just a tax grab it means and serves no purpose.

Last edited by saddleup; 05-27-2020 at 08:42 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 05-27-2020, 08:57 AM

Got checked for it May long weekend at Wabamun. First time ever.

J
Old 05-27-2020, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jims83cj5 View Post
Getting a fishing licence does not mean you know how to fish either. The Boat licence i took was not even relevant to anything but boating in the ocean. 80 percent of the course and test was about buoys. Dont see many of those in alberta.
so I was fishing in amongst the weeds in about 6-12 feet of water...off in the distance I see a red thing floating on the water...bino's up and white line through it...hmmm...oh yeah it indicates a diver....sure enough a person was spear fishing....didn't know about that until I took the exam...back in the day I might have boogied over there to have a looksie....potentially putting the diver in danger of getting injured....

Old 05-27-2020, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostguy6 View Post
Legally any peace officer or someone who is designated as public officer can ask to see it if they have reason to believe you were operating a motorized watercraft.
yup