Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 05-20-2020, 11:41 PM

Nice to see the wallies goin in the frying pan boys. Been chastised as a "whiner" and "complainer" for my observations on the introduced and over protected wallies that have wreaked havoc on a number of historically self sustaining central alberta and north east alberta fisheries and the effect that the wallies have had on formerly "quality" fisheries....nice to see the managers change their approach to the management of several lakes hopelessly over run with stunted starving wallies. We know enough to let the quality, large healthy spawning size fish go to pass on their genes and whack the skinny, starving, dime a dozen wallies that don't even behave like a real walleye should. Do a perch, Ling, pike, or whitefish a favor and balance things out a bit... Thanks to all of the fellow native albertans that remembered the football perch and submarine pike that these lakes were known for and let their voices be heard about what they consider a healthy fishing lake. Obviously I wasn't the only one, but at times it sure felt like it at least on this platform...if the remaining perch and pike and Ling and whites have even a average hatch the results will be obvious almost instantly with a little cull of the starving wallies. Thanks Mr Nixon...
Old 05-21-2020, 07:55 AM

3-6 fow

-J.Paul Getty
Old 05-21-2020, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 338Bluff View Post
How shallow were the whites? I was in 6-8 FOW all day Sunday. Are folks using bait or just the punkin seed twister tails.
3-6 fow

-J.Paul Getty
Old 05-21-2020, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikeman06 View Post
Nice to see the wallies goin in the frying pan boys. Been chastised as a "whiner" and "complainer" for my observations on the introduced and over protected wallies that have wreaked havoc on a number of historically self sustaining central alberta and north east alberta fisheries and the effect that the wallies have had on formerly "quality" fisheries....nice to see the managers change their approach to the management of several lakes hopelessly over run with stunted starving wallies. We know enough to let the quality, large healthy spawning size fish go to pass on their genes and whack the skinny, starving, dime a dozen wallies that don't even behave like a real walleye should. Do a perch, Ling, pike, or whitefish a favor and balance things out a bit... Thanks to all of the fellow native albertans that remembered the football perch and submarine pike that these lakes were known for and let their voices be heard about what they consider a healthy fishing lake. Obviously I wasn't the only one, but at times it sure felt like it at least on this platform...if the remaining perch and pike and Ling and whites have even a average hatch the results will be obvious almost instantly with a little cull of the starving wallies. Thanks Mr Nixon...

Pikeman ... tks for the positive contribution to this thread, well said.

Cheers

David

Old 05-21-2020, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dshot View Post
3-6 fow
Interesting when we were out on Sat, May 16, we didn't see any fish in the shallows or 3-6 fow.

From all the people I see fishing Sylvan, morning, noon & night, specifically across from where I live at the Marina Bay spawning grounds, it won't take long before the Gooberment change the rules and introduce slots or tags or shut it down again .... believe me!

D.

Old 05-21-2020, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip-in-Z View Post
Interesting when we were out on Sat, May 16, we didn't see any fish in the shallows or 3-6 fow.

From all the people I see fishing Sylvan, morning, noon & night, specifically across from where I live at the Marina Bay spawning grounds, it won't take long before the Gooberment change the rules and introduce slots or tags or shut it down again .... believe me!

D.

Also interesting, maybe depends on the side of the lake. I mainly fish the northern section and find the whites typically shallow most the season less than 8 fow.

Sylvan definitely has seen an increase in fisherman over the past few years especially near easy access points (in town) and lots of inflatables/kayaks near the boat launches. It is a fantastic fishery and I have no problem sharing the water, its for everyone. Being one of the easiest lakes to access and we cannot keep people from retaining what they are legally entitled to. We will see pretty quick what the effect is on the lakes population with the new regs. Just because people can keep fish doesn't mean they need to every time.

-J.Paul Getty
Old 05-21-2020, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Also interesting, maybe depends on the side of the lake. I mainly fish the northern section and find the whites typically shallow most the season less than 8 fow.

Sylvan definitely has seen an increase in fisherman over the past few years especially near easy access points (in town) and lots of inflatables/kayaks near the boat launches. It is a fantastic fishery and I have no problem sharing the water, its for everyone. Being one of the easiest lakes to access and we cannot keep people from retaining what they are legally entitled to. We will see pretty quick what the effect is on the lakes population with the new regs. Just because people can keep fish doesn't mean they need to every time.

Totally agree.

D.

Old 05-21-2020, 07:57 PM

RCMP have something new in Sylvan ..... Neeka, a 5-month-old Potential Police Service Dog (PPSD), joined in on a #SylvanLake RCMP boat patrol over the long weekend. It was her first experience on a boat!

D.

That's the Main Pier in background.

Old 05-21-2020, 10:10 PM

Quote:
3-6 fow
Thanks for the update.
Old 05-22-2020, 05:09 AM

[QUOTE=Poppa;4172971]Zip - thanks for those Walleye pics.... I have hope now! I'm working on rigging a Lowrance Elite Ti 9 on my boat, which will help me a ton in finding 'em.

Did you buy your unit at BPS Calgary as well? Man, what a deal.
Old 05-22-2020, 01:17 PM

[QUOTE=jwelds191;4173901]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppa View Post
Zip - thanks for those Walleye pics.... I have hope now! I'm working on rigging a Lowrance Elite Ti 9 on my boat, which will help me a ton in finding 'em.

Did you buy your unit at BPS Calgary as well? Man, what a deal.
I sure did. Was an absolute steal. I'm worse than useless when it comes to "handy" things, so I don't have it mounted/wired up yet, but I've got a buddy coming in the next couple weeks to help us out. Can't wait to get it going!
Old 05-23-2020, 11:21 AM

Quote:
RCMP have something new in Sylvan ..... Neeka, a 5-month-old Potential Police Service Dog (PPSD), joined in on a #SylvanLake RCMP boat patrol over the long weekend. It was her first experience on a boat!

D.

That's the Main Pier in background.

What a beautiful looking pup. Looks very interested, ready to go and attentive. Any Idea why they have her? To smell for fish? Invasive species, mussels? Or alcohol and drugs? Hope I get a chance to meet them
Old 05-23-2020, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbless View Post
What a beautiful looking pup. Looks very interested, ready to go and attentive. Any Idea why they have her? To smell for fish? Invasive species, mussels? Or alcohol and drugs? Hope I get a chance to meet them
I like the Batman look, she must be part wolf, my guess she is being trained to smell out Sylvan non-residents who are here trying to catch our Walleye ... LOL.

Local RCMP members posted the pic's, they didn't say much, I imagine like any new dog from the Innisfail Dog Services Training Center, she's out on field trials to see how she responds, must be part of the training program, hope she's a keeper.

D.

Old 05-24-2020, 01:21 PM

Water was too choppy for the boat Saturday morning, so hit the marina for a bit. Second time at sylvan this exact scenario played out lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-24-2020, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squidlips View Post
Water was too choppy for the boat Saturday morning, so hit the marina for a bit. Second time at sylvan this exact scenario played out lol

Tks for sharing, nice pic & Bty Pike .... congrats.

D.

Old 05-24-2020, 08:47 PM

Both Scott & I couldn't get out today, other priorities, drove down Lakeshore there was lots of boats/guys out fishing.

I felt a bit like the kid that got left behind on the dock today .... how did anyone here do ?

D.

Old 05-25-2020, 10:07 AM

[QUOTE=Poppa;4174184]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwelds191 View Post
I sure did. Was an absolute steal. I'm worse than useless when it comes to "handy" things, so I don't have it mounted/wired up yet, but I've got a buddy coming in the next couple weeks to help us out. Can't wait to get it going!
You've got this Poppa!

The instruction manual for mounting the transducer is okay, but you've got to improvise depending on your boats characteristics & layout. It took me a night and a full day to get all the holes (ie 3) drilled, epoxied, and transducer mounted and wiring tucked away nicely. Well worth the work though, it ended up being more intimidating than it actually was.

Had to run to the hardware store 3 times for the small electrical stuff like terminal rings, wiring caps and heat shrink. You've been warned! lol
Old 05-25-2020, 01:58 PM

[QUOTE=jwelds191;4175783]
Quote:

You've got this Poppa!

The instruction manual for mounting the transducer is okay, but you've got to improvise depending on your boats characteristics & layout. It took me a night and a full day to get all the holes (ie 3) drilled, epoxied, and transducer mounted and wiring tucked away nicely. Well worth the work though, it ended up being more intimidating than it actually was.

Had to run to the hardware store 3 times for the small electrical stuff like terminal rings, wiring caps and heat shrink. You've been warned! lol
Once I knew I needed those terminal rings, I went to CT and found some with the heat shrink tubing, so I can do that I figure. As for mounting the 'ducer......I can't figure out, am I drilling a hole and then putting a bolt into it? Or am I drilling a screw in there (what is the screw "sticking" to, because the hull is only like an inch thick, right??) I've got some marine adhesive/caulking type stuff that we used for another thing. But yeah, the instruction manual seems pretty straight forward. Hoping to have it all set up this week so we can hit Sylvan again on Saturday eve!

appreciate the info sir!
Old 05-25-2020, 05:43 PM

Had to change the tread title ..... another nice walleye, caught this past weekend off the Main Pier.

D.

That's the Main Pier in 1979..

Last edited by Zip-in-Z; 05-25-2020 at 05:48 PM.
Old 05-26-2020, 08:51 AM

[QUOTE=Poppa;4175877]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwelds191 View Post
Once I knew I needed those terminal rings, I went to CT and found some with the heat shrink tubing, so I can do that I figure. As for mounting the 'ducer......I can't figure out, am I drilling a hole and then putting a bolt into it? Or am I drilling a screw in there (what is the screw "sticking" to, because the hull is only like an inch thick, right??) I've got some marine adhesive/caulking type stuff that we used for another thing. But yeah, the instruction manual seems pretty straight forward. Hoping to have it all set up this week so we can hit Sylvan again on Saturday eve!

appreciate the info sir!
Sorry for the late reply, I hope I didn't derail another day for you without setting up that beauty fishfinder you got now.

Yes, you're supposed to be drilling 3 holes (1 for each of the vertical spaces) in the plastic mounting piece. You'll want to have it mounted horizontal to the waterline, and just below (1/8th of an inch or so) the bottom of your boat.

Once you've pegged where to and drilled the holes, you're going to be putting a bolt through and then a nut inside your boat to secure it. I should mention here, I mentioned in my previous post about adapting to your boats characteristics and layout... I ended up putting the bolt through from the inside, and nut to secure on outside. I'd recommend doing it from the outside, though, as there is the cover cap that needs to cover the entire assembly, and it is based on the bolt going through from the outside.

Cheers!
Old 05-26-2020, 12:56 PM

[QUOTE=jwelds191;4176290]
Quote:

Sorry for the late reply, I hope I didn't derail another day for you without setting up that beauty fishfinder you got now.

Yes, you're supposed to be drilling 3 holes (1 for each of the vertical spaces) in the plastic mounting piece. You'll want to have it mounted horizontal to the waterline, and just below (1/8th of an inch or so) the bottom of your boat.

Once you've pegged where to and drilled the holes, you're going to be putting a bolt through and then a nut inside your boat to secure it. I should mention here, I mentioned in my previous post about adapting to your boats characteristics and layout... I ended up putting the bolt through from the inside, and nut to secure on outside. I'd recommend doing it from the outside, though, as there is the cover cap that needs to cover the entire assembly, and it is based on the bolt going through from the outside.

Cheers!
thanks for the info. I don't have the plastic mounting plate, but have been thinking about getting one. The previous "puck" style 'ducer that came with the boat was just mounted straight into the boat. The plate seems like a good idea tho. Thanks again! Will keep all posted!
Old 05-26-2020, 02:24 PM

next weekend I'm hoping. Even if and when I catch an EYE gonna let it go. 20 inch? Yes, but if I get another that size, maybe!!!!! Been a long time for the taste. Probably let go again anyways. Some nice pics
Old 05-26-2020, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbless View Post
next weekend I'm hoping. Even if and when I catch an EYE gonna let it go. 20 inch? Yes, but if I get another that size, maybe!!!!! Been a long time for the taste. Probably let go again anyways. Some nice pics
let 'em go, let 'em grow!! This province needs more trophy walleyes BADLY....
Old 05-28-2020, 05:16 PM

Sylvan this morning, a picture is worth a thousand words ... how about Glass!

Our Lighthouse now has a Live Camera Feed ..... here's the link, it looks like it works ..... facing NW that's Marina Bay & Norglenwold area.

http://watersedgesylvan.com/live-vid...hthouse-video/

Last edited by Zip-in-Z; 05-28-2020 at 05:23 PM.
Old 05-28-2020, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Sylvan this morning, a picture is worth a thousand words ... how about Glass!

Our Lighthouse now has a Live Camera Feed ..... here's the link, it looks like it works ..... facing NW that's Marina Bay & Norglenwold area.

http://watersedgesylvan.com/live-vid...hthouse-video/

Wow thanks! Now I can check boating conditions right from my couch lol

Old 05-28-2020, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squidlips View Post
Wow thanks! Now I can check boating conditions right from my couch lol

I imagine you won't be the only member saving this link as a bookmark & you can watch me (Live) fishin my favorite spots in Marina Bay.

EDIT: When you open the link click on the play video arrow ... you can watch the waves from your couch, too.

Cheers

David

Old 05-28-2020, 10:34 PM

Awesome. Waters so clear I think I can see a malnourished walleye rootin around like a bonefish on the flats. Go gettem boys, nothin like a fresh wally for supper and one left over for brekkie. Yum. Get a good hatch this spring and a few less wallies hangin around till the eggs hatch and we might just have a year class of whites and pike and perch we can talk about 5 or 6 short years. Imagine that. 😄
Old 05-29-2020, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikeman06 View Post
Awesome. Waters so clear I think I can see a malnourished walleye rootin around like a bonefish on the flats. Go gettem boys, nothin like a fresh wally for supper and one left over for brekkie. Yum. Get a good hatch this spring and a few less wallies hangin around till the eggs hatch and we might just have a year class of whites and pike and perch we can talk about 5 or 6 short years. Imagine that. 😄

With all the fishin pressure this month, in 5-6 years there may only be a few walleye left in Sylvan. Here's another pic of Mr. Pike for the photo album, taken at Marina Bay just over 37".

EDIT: For those getting excited all Pike in Sylvan are C&R, check your reg's.

D.

Old 05-29-2020, 09:12 AM

Was out last night for some walleye fishing. Fish were hitting light and moving slow in the north end. Water is pretty cool (50 F) still.

-J.Paul Getty
Old 05-29-2020, 10:44 PM

Quote:
With all the fishin pressure this month, in 5-6 years there may only be a few walleye left in Sylvan. Here's another pic of Mr. Pike for the photo album, taken at Marina Bay just over 37".

EDIT: For those getting excited all Pike in Sylvan are C&R, check your reg's.

D.

With a 1 any size limit I believe that is the point. I had a chat with an area biologist 5 years or so ago and the conversation turned to Sylvan for a bit. At that time the concern was the existing stocked year classes were doing ok but the recruitment was perpetually low so the plan was to cull the walleye that were encroaching on the food base to let others grow. According to that conversation I was completely expecting a cull the following season but it has taken a while and I don't know all the moving parts to it. Considering all the dink walleye we caught yesterday maybe there was a temporary change of heart regarding recruitment but my feelings are this has been in the works for a bit.

Another part of that conversation was how much damage the lakeshore development does on waterbodies like Sylvan. Those weeds that are an eye sore to lakefront property owners are so crucial to a lakes well being yet people clear them out in hopes to make it a little bit "nicer" in their world. I'll tell you right now if I were king for a day lakeshore development would no longer exist on all Alberta lakes.

Getting back to the retention of walleye on Sylvan, I welcome it. It's never going to be a realistic trophy water for walleye and the next best thing they are good for is eating. Ya a few guys are getting some decent fish but in the long run it's not realistic. Pike have historically thrived in that lake and given a bit of room with the limited forage base they can do it again. I know that there are still a few big girls in there to help.