Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 05-25-2020, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walking buffalo View Post

Fatty,

The land you mention is a Federal Indian Reserve, (not to be confused with claimed "indigenous territory".

You must have permission to be on Indian Reserve land AND waters, including navigable streams.

Without permission, you are trespassing.
Thanks for the reply.

For anyone else still wondering, I reached out to one of the Chiefs and they said that you do in fact need a permit from Siksika Land Management. The permit is $15 but I am unsure if it is for the whole fishing year.
Old 05-25-2020, 02:20 PM

Lots of land and lakes/rivers out there that aren't FN's . You may get permission from one guy but I'm sure there would be a dozen more that didn't want you on there land . I'd find a different spot myself .
Old 05-25-2020, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Wing View Post
Lots of land and lakes/rivers out there that aren't FN's . You may get permission from one guy but I'm sure there would be a dozen more that didn't want you on there land . I'd find a different spot myself .
^This!

Take heed here: depending where you are in the province, which band you are dealing with, make SURE you get permission from the folks in charge and with the authority.

That said, I'll piggyback on Darkwing's point and say, in some places, that still doesn't matter a whole lot. You could be hassled by a response from entirely different person that says something like "well..you didn't ask me for permission!"

In other words, there can be an issue (a major one) in terms of consistency of access, who to ask, communication, who enforces it etc etc.
Old 05-25-2020, 06:01 PM

Usually when you are dealing with a band that issues a permit like Fatty mentioned you will be given written permission that you must keep on you. In these cases you don’t here about people having issues because the band has an established system