Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 12-11-2018, 09:42 PM

Default Hide tanning costs Alberta.

Hey guys curious what you pay to have a deer skin tanned. Thinking of two white tails as rugs and one just turned to leather no hair. Anyone know this runs around Calgary? Ball park? Thanks. If there’s any taxidermists on here I’m also wondering if I could trade some time helping you out for the knowledge of how to tan my own hides. Thanks for any and all info on these few questions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-13-2018, 11:07 AM

I paid $160 a hide last year

Old 12-15-2018, 09:59 AM

Default tanning

I used western fur tanneries in Edmonton a couple years ago. Happy with fur on for a rug. Cannot remember price.
Old 12-15-2018, 11:56 AM

Western is pricey and long wait times. Have had some product back with holes in it as well. I may give him another chance sometime but I am trying out new tanneries for now
Old 12-15-2018, 04:33 PM

Default Halford

Halford has a web site with pricing I believe. They did a moose rug for me 15 years ago for $350 or so. Western as well but cant recall price.
Old 12-16-2018, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nube View Post
Western is pricey and long wait times. Have had some product back with holes in it as well. I may give him another chance sometime but I am trying out new tanneries for now
I just had them do a wolf for me. It was completely fleshed, lips, ears, paws done.

They charged me $475 to soft tan it for a hanger.

I’ll never give them .10 cents of business again, what a rip off
Old 12-16-2018, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torkdiesel View Post
I just had them do a wolf for me. It was completely fleshed, lips, ears, paws done.

They charged me $475 to soft tan it for a hanger.

I’ll never give them .10 cents of business again, what a rip off
Did you ask them what it woild cost before you gave them the wolf?
Old 12-15-2018, 05:00 PM

I’ve got a none-fleshed frozen hide in my freezer right now waiting for the time to tan it. I’m far from an expert but I have tanned two rabbit and two deer (though I didn’t break these so their essentially rawhide. Picture below) hides. If we’re able to connect on a time I’d be more than willing to share what little I know, show you whats involved with this hide I have in the freezer. I’m one hour north of Calgary. Pm if interested. IMG_2511.jpg

Old 12-15-2018, 05:23 PM

http://www.highcountrywildlife.ca/me...%20-%20pdf.pdf
Old 12-15-2018, 10:20 PM

Have never got a deer hide tanned yet, but have had a bull moose & 2 bull elk hides tanned with the hair left on.
We went through western fur tannery & if I remember correctly they charge per sq/ft & would also charge additional fees for salting if needed along with extra fleshing depending on how clean the hide is on inside of course.
I believe we paid anywhere from $650-750 per hide & all were dressed clean.
Also, just as nube said the waiting period there does take some time & did seem a bit pricey.
All in all we were happy with the end result.
Tanned elk hides with the hair left on look great on the wall.
The 2 elk were unique to get done as I took mine in archery season with my wife at my side 6 months pregnant & then to return a week & a half later to pick up our meat from the butcher but make the trip back worth while & set up the wall tent for a few days. We set up camp, went for a walk up the line the next morning & managed to call a bull in for her. She sent the shot home with the 300wby mag & got her first bull elk.
We have the two hides side by side on the wall & the antlers over the fireplace.
Looks great & brings back memories in the field each time I look & think back.

All the best in your search
Old 12-16-2018, 05:39 AM

Anyone ever tan their big game hides? I have couple bottles of "Tannit" made by Tandy Leather Factory. Bottle info says that each bottle will process two average deer hides. Very detailed instructions. Been meaning to try it, but have not got around to it yet.
Old 12-16-2018, 07:18 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken1989 View Post
Anyone ever tan their big game hides? I have couple bottles of "Tannit" made by Tandy Leather Factory. Bottle info says that each bottle will process two average deer hides. Very detailed instructions. Been meaning to try it, but have not got around to it yet.
I've used tannit on smaller hides. It worked okay but like all tanning by hand it is a lot of work to get a well tanned soft hide.

I see no reason it wouldn't work on any hide. And if all one wanted was a wall hanger it wouldn't be that much work.

Fleshing the hide prior to tanning and working the hide after tanning is the bulk of the work.

I cheated and let the birds flesh a hide for me. It worked like a charm, only the hide freeze dried and I haven't got around to tanning it yet.

But all I have to do is soak it for a few days and then proceed with the tanning process. I just haven't got around to doing it.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 12-18-2018, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abe89 View Post
I’ve got a none-fleshed frozen hide in my freezer right now waiting for the time to tan it. I’m far from an expert but I have tanned two rabbit and two deer (though I didn’t break these so their essentially rawhide. Picture below) hides. If we’re able to connect on a time I’d be more than willing to share what little I know, show you whats involved with this hide I have in the freezer. I’m one hour north of Calgary. Pm if interested. Attachment 151340

This is pretty cool. Kind of a neat way to keep memories from hunts that didn't involve antlers. Posting to keep this idea saved for next season.
Old 12-18-2018, 03:36 PM

Hi LandlockedIslander it just so happens I am tanning my first deer hide right now! I normally take them in to be tanned (I've done this the past three yrs in a row) and it costs roughly $150 per hide. This year though we took my husbands deer to a different tanner and the hide will cost us around $200 - this tanner is in Lethbridge.

I took a pic of the deer I am currently tanning (my deer) and what I am using. Now this is the first time I've done this and I have to say doing this in my house is not the most ideal place! Will be a different area next time I do this! You'll notice in the pic the tanning kit I am using and I bought that from Halfords and that kit was around $75. I am at the last stage now before it will have to sit for the next two/three days to dry out. Once I have completed all the stages - I will repost the finished product. You will also notice a rabbit hide too. I have used the little orange bottle in the past on a rabbit hide and squirrels - I am pleased with the outcome and will continue to use it on the small animals. I am trying something different as well - preserving the feet of the deer & rabbits - I'm using a pickle formula I got off of YouTube. I am hoping to make some coat/gun hangers out of the deer feet and some lucky rabbits feet. I should mention on the tanning kit & orange bottle - the instructions are easy to read and follow and - I have never done this before either (other than a single rabbit hide and three squirrels) ! Will keep you posted as this progresses this week!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC04356.jpg (79.6 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg DSC04355.jpg (43.2 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg DSC04353.jpg (74.4 KB, 36 views)
Old 12-18-2018, 05:27 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by fainthopeacres View Post
Hi LandlockedIslander it just so happens I am tanning my first deer hide right now! I normally take them in to be tanned (I've done this the past three yrs in a row) and it costs roughly $150 per hide. This year though we took my husbands deer to a different tanner and the hide will cost us around $200 - this tanner is in Lethbridge.

I took a pic of the deer I am currently tanning (my deer) and what I am using. Now this is the first time I've done this and I have to say doing this in my house is not the most ideal place! Will be a different area next time I do this! You'll notice in the pic the tanning kit I am using and I bought that from Halfords and that kit was around $75. I am at the last stage now before it will have to sit for the next two/three days to dry out. Once I have completed all the stages - I will repost the finished product. You will also notice a rabbit hide too. I have used the little orange bottle in the past on a rabbit hide and squirrels - I am pleased with the outcome and will continue to use it on the small animals. I am trying something different as well - preserving the feet of the deer & rabbits - I'm using a pickle formula I got off of YouTube. I am hoping to make some coat/gun hangers out of the deer feet and some lucky rabbits feet. I should mention on the tanning kit & orange bottle - the instructions are easy to read and follow and - I have never done this before either (other than a single rabbit hide and three squirrels) ! Will keep you posted as this progresses this week!
Tanning it in the house! Wow! I did that when I was single, if I tried it now I'd loose some body parts that I rather like.

I would love to see the finished product. I bet it will be good.

George Bernard Shaw