Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 01-12-2022, 08:56 PM

Post Black Bear Hunting This Spring

Hello everyone I was looking to do some black bear hunting this spring, and was looking for any information on where's a good place to start. I'm in the Calgary area so I've been looking to do scouting trips in the Kananaskis region this spring. Is this a good region to hunt for bear and is there any tips on finding them. This season is my first season hunting and since I've taken my first deer in November I've been hooked. Any and all information is helpful.
Old 01-12-2022, 09:30 PM

Default North

I have only been on this site for about 1.5 years and have seen this question posted a ton of times lol. I think most will tell ya to go North and look for cut lines that are turning green when your scouting. I am sure people will add to this 😁
Old 01-12-2022, 10:06 PM

Buddy and I did a spring bear in wmu 406. Really low harvest report but still went in. As expected didn't see anything! Ha! The next year we went north using the harvest reports for wmu's as a good starting spot. We saw over 10 bears one day and both connected with bears on our trip.
Look at some.maps and those harvest reports! Good luck!
Old 01-13-2022, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewalk View Post
Hello everyone I was looking to do some black bear hunting this spring, and was looking for any information on where's a good place to start. I'm in the Calgary area so I've been looking to do scouting trips in the Kananaskis region this spring. Is this a good region to hunt for bear and is there any tips on finding them. This season is my first season hunting and since I've taken my first deer in November I've been hooked. Any and all information is helpful.
I suggest hunting over bait if you can, it's so much fun having several bears come in and getting to watch them and how they interact, plus you can be picky. Downside to hunting over bait is it is a large time commitment to refreshing the bait.
If you're looking to spot and stalk, that's a different ball game.
Old 01-13-2022, 08:38 AM

You’ll spend a TON of time, money and effort driving back roads and glassing in K-Country and see very few bears. You might get lucky, but to increase your odds, I’d highly suggest you go north and do either spot and stalk on green pipelines and power lines, or try baiting.
If you try baiting, again, be aware that the cost in time and money is much higher than you would think, and in the zones around Rocky Mountain house that are closest to Calgary to bait are baited HARD, and FULL of grizzlies. We baited last year, starting in mid April, and had one little black bear hit our bait every now and then. The rest of the time, it was a mama grizz with her 3 yearlings, or a huge old boar grizzly that destroyed the site over and over. Not only that, but in talking to another hunter we met on the trail, we discovered that our “super remote” bait site had 4-5 other bait sites within 1/2 a mile! We never saw a bear while sitting on stand - i suspect the animals know when someone is there, and simply go to another food source for the day.

For 2022, we’ll go back to our old spot and stalk bear camp NW of whitecourt. We’ve had good success up there.
Old 01-13-2022, 08:51 AM

Spot & stalk look for water, green veg, mature evergreens, and bear crap. When looking for new locations I often start near a river or lakes

I tried baiting last year and it’s not for me. I had a good number of bears hit my bait but nothing that caught my attention. My bait was a 1/2hr from home it was time consuming, costly, and a lot of effort to gamble on a shooter coming in or not. Definitely would be tough if traveling

Anyone who wants my barrels can have them if they are willing to pick them up

Been a long time since I have hunted there but used to find bears in the porcupine hills
Old 01-13-2022, 10:18 AM

out by frank slide is decent.
moose mountain road in k County is okish, but your going have walk in a fair bit.
Morley if you can make friends with a native living there and get permission. ie. hes with you.
but north is were you really want to go. lac la biche area and north is fantastic .
watch south facing slopes, cut lines, old forestry roads. power line cuts. keep a eye out for fresh scat,
Old 01-13-2022, 02:53 PM

Lots of logging up NW of Whitecourt and Fox Creek this past fall and winter, along with the usual oil and gas work. It's really busy up that way and quite disturbed, hunted for moose in this area in the fall and into Nov. Was disappointed with the amount of commercial activity.
Old 01-13-2022, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hwy_6363 View Post
Lots of logging up NW of Whitecourt and Fox Creek this past fall and winter, along with the usual oil and gas work. It's really busy up that way and quite disturbed, hunted for moose in this area in the fall and into Nov. Was disappointed with the amount of commercial activity.
I saw more trucks than bears last spring in that area.
Old 01-18-2022, 12:30 PM

I have been spring bear hunting for the last 10 year! It is one of my favourite hunts every year. I hunt the northern WMU’s as there is bears everywhere u look. Cut lines, cut blocks, south facing hills. Where ever the green in showing up first you will find bears.

I also bait bears every year. That is an whole other ball game. Tons of time commitment. If u have the time find the closest WMU that allows you and give it a go! If not then I eco the statement on using the harvest reports and find the WMU around u with the highest numbers and go there to drive the least roads. Morning and evenings but mainly evenings are your highest success rate for seeing bears on the green spaces. Hope this helps

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-18-2022, 01:20 PM

Depending what you are looking for. I see tons of Black Bears in the k-country, just have to know where and when to look. You definitely see more in the fall.

My advice;
1) Go late in the season. Depending on the spring, some years May 15 there won't be many bears awake yet. Use the weather and snowpack to your advantage. If it's been a hot spring and there is lots of green, there will be bears.
2) Get high and spot the greenest areas you can find.
3) Combine bear hunting with another activity that you like - hiking, running your dog, shed hunting, etc. Great way to spend time outdoors and learn the area.
4) Know what seasons are open. Lots of wolves, etc.

Not sure if you are into calling. I've never done it, but have heard mixed reviews with many positive reviews on using distress calls for bears. Careful being in Grizzly country, and having black bears coming in hot.
Old 01-18-2022, 03:41 PM

Careful being in Grizzly country, and having black bears coming in hot

A knowledgeable person once told me there are few black bears in Grizzly country, the former tend to eat the latter.

Grizz

Isaiah 5:8
Old 01-18-2022, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams1 View Post

A knowledgeable person once told me there are few black bears in Grizzly country, the former tend to eat the latter.

Grizz
I'd agree other than most of the bear country across alberta is now Grizzly country. Lots of blacks out there still. Definitely less than there were 20 years ago from what i can tell, but still lots of them.
Old 01-18-2022, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams1 View Post

Grizz
You will find lots of black bears in areas with grizzly but you will definitely find pockets where the grizzly is dominate. The buffer zone is often small too. Grizzly definitely have their proffered habitat too

I have seen the feed in the same avalanche shoots within only 200yards between them many times. Majority of the time black bears do avoid grizzly though but they are not that far away

Yes grizzly will kill black bears but they do coexist

As for calling I would use caution blind calling in grizzly areas but honestly my best results calling black bear is when I have seen them in the distance. I have had both black bear and grizzly sneak up behind me calling so it’s best to pay attention.
Old 01-19-2022, 11:35 AM

Agreed, was really busy between road hunters and work vehicles. Saw the least amount of bears that I've ever seen up there in over 5 years.
Old 01-20-2022, 04:15 PM

September is a better time to hunt bears in K-Country.
They close the spring season May 15th, which is way too early. Most of the prime habitat hasn't greened up yet.
Old 01-20-2022, 04:46 PM
AO Sponsor

Man out west of Water Valley we certainly have our fair share of both grizz and black bears.
Bay #6, 1303 44th ave NE
Calgary AB, T2E6L5
bobbybirds@icloud.com
www.urbanexp.ca

Leviticus 23: 4-18: "he that scopeth a lever, or thou allow a scope to lie with a lever as it would lie with a bolt action, shall have created an abomination and shall perish in the fires of Hell forever and ever.....plus GST" - huntinstuff April 07/23
Old 01-20-2022, 05:41 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewalk View Post
It's funny, I moved here 16 years ago and didn't know any of the area and worked my butt off finding areas to hunt. People come on here and expect everyone else to do the work for them. My suggestion, get out and work for it.
Old 01-20-2022, 05:58 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfhunter View Post
It's funny, I moved here 16 years ago and didn't know any of the area and worked my butt off finding areas to hunt. People come on here and expect everyone else to do the work for them. My suggestion, get out and work for it.
He wasn't looking for a partner, so you're safe... just someone to point in the right direction...season doesn't open for a bit... so ...chill
Old 01-20-2022, 06:13 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough doug View Post
He wasn't looking for a partner, so you're safe... just someone to point in the right direction...season doesn't open for a bit... so ...chill
First post, point me in the right direction.
Old 01-21-2022, 07:48 AM

Default Bears Spring

Head north 3 hours of Edmonton. Problem solved tons of bears in that area.
Old 01-21-2022, 08:42 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfhunter View Post
First post, point me in the right direction.
So what is supposed to be in a first post?

Seems to me it's as good an opener as any.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

If you come see me in the spring, ewalk.
I'll show you plenty of Bears.

George Bernard Shaw

Tags
blackbear, hunting