Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 01-11-2022, 05:46 PM

Default Video - Diary of a Rookie Moose Hunting Guide

Hey Guys, two years ago I landed my dream guide working as a moose hunting guide. Unfortuantley the first year was scrapped due to COVID as the American clients couldn't cross the border. This year was a full go and I went on the adventure of a life time!

Float planes, wall tents, caribou, otters, pike, walleye and of course moose, what more could you ask for?!?

Follow the full 16 day adventure here

https://youtu.be/Zm8vSR3Zlvs
Old 01-11-2022, 06:59 PM

Good for you mate! Happy hunters! Good job.
Old 01-11-2022, 07:39 PM

Great video, glad what you did for your first year, happy hunters is what you want.
Old 01-11-2022, 09:48 PM

Great job overall of videoing. That in itself requires a lot of diligence. Glad everyone had a good time. Congratulations on your guide experience.
Old 01-12-2022, 08:43 AM

Cool video, thanks for posting it.

This video was very interesting to me because it shows some of the challenges of guiding better than most videos I've seen, including missed shots by the client which I'm sure can be very deflating for a guide.

I enjoyed your positive attitude and it looks like you all had a great time.
Old 01-12-2022, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moo Snukkle View Post
Great job overall of videoing. That in itself requires a lot of diligence. Glad everyone had a good time. Congratulations on your guide experience.
Pretty crazy what can be done with nothing more than iPhone nowadays

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave99 View Post
Cool video, thanks for posting it.

This video was very interesting to me because it shows some of the challenges of guiding better than most videos I've seen, including missed shots by the client which I'm sure can be very deflating for a guide.

I enjoyed your positive attitude and it looks like you all had a great time.
Thanks I just tried to share the adventure as I saw it.

Attitude and effort are the only things you can control! No bad days in the woods for me.

The miss was a huge mix of emotions but in the end I felt like I did my job by providing the opportunity for a shot. They couldn't say I didn't find them a bull. Didn't have to worry about that after knocking one down the next day haha
Old 01-18-2022, 10:03 AM

How did the First Group Take not seeing any Bulls? they know its not a guarantee, but i imagine morale decreases every day no?

I know when most guys come for a guided trip, they have enough money not to worry about coming home empty, I just would feel a little down not filling my tag for the money i paid. Not your fault, but wondering what the emotions and feelings are from the group going home without anything

The Second Group if they came home with nothing, they had their chance missing the first shot
Old 01-18-2022, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougH11 View Post
Hey Guys, two years ago I landed my dream guide working as a moose hunting guide. Unfortuantley the first year was scrapped due to COVID as the American clients couldn't cross the border. This year was a full go and I went on the adventure of a life time!

Float planes, wall tents, caribou, otters, pike, walleye and of course moose, what more could you ask for?!?

Follow the full 16 day adventure here

https://youtu.be/Zm8vSR3Zlvs

Thanks for sharing your adventure- all of your clients left with great memories a trophy, and a smile on their faces.

Creeky....

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#I Am An Outdoorsman And I Approve This Message

#creativity can't wait for technology
Old 01-19-2022, 05:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghenn96 View Post
How did the First Group Take not seeing any Bulls? they know its not a guarantee, but i imagine morale decreases every day no?

I know when most guys come for a guided trip, they have enough money not to worry about coming home empty, I just would feel a little down not filling my tag for the money i paid. Not your fault, but wondering what the emotions and feelings are from the group going home without anything

The Second Group if they came home with nothing, they had their chance missing the first shot
They took it better than I did, I felt like I let them down. Can't say enough good things about those guys and we have actually stayed in touch updating each other on our deer and bird seasons back home. We faced tough conditions in that it was hot and sunny all day along with clear skies and a full moon at night. It was clear to us the moose were there but just moving at night.

They were very experienced hunters, having killed countless deer but the vast majority of those sounded like were on their own farms. They wanted a wilderness adventure and they got that. Many times they said "The adventure is the hunt, harvesting a moose would be a bonus"

I think overall the video captured the trip pretty accurately but I definitely unrepresented how amazing the fishing was. That helped keep spirts up for sure.