Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 01-11-2022, 11:24 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddeerhunter View Post
How many guys have shot a steel plate with a 22-250 at 100yds and then used a bigger caliber to compare dent sizes?

Results would blow your mind. 22-250 is a thumper. I was proven wrong, had to purchase whiskey as my 300win mag did not hold a candle to the dent of the 22-250.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
What kind of steel plate?
Bullet construction would be the biggest variable
For example you can easily get fmj ammo for a 22 250 and not a 300 wm
Old 01-12-2022, 06:36 AM

I had a couple of those swinging gongs from Cabela’s. My buddy was shooting them at 100 yards with his 22-250 and it would go right through.
Old 01-12-2022, 07:18 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokinyotes View Post
I had a couple of those swinging gongs from Cabela’s. My buddy was shooting them at 100 yards with his 22-250 and it would go right through.
Full metal jackets

A varmint bullet like a varmint grenade wont go through a water bottle
Old 01-12-2022, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Actually this is a very common occurrence with small calibre, high velocity rounds. The reason they penetrate, or like reddeerhunter's example make a much bigger dent, and much heavier cartridges don't is the whole force over area thing. A hypodermic needle will easily puncture your skin with relatively little pressure, the tip of a pen requires significantly more pressure to do the same thing, yet is only slightly larger in total diameter/circumference.
Old 01-12-2022, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddeerhunter View Post
How many guys have shot a steel plate with a 22-250 at 100yds and then used a bigger caliber to compare dent sizes?

Results would blow your mind. 22-250 is a thumper. I was proven wrong, had to purchase whiskey as my 300win mag did not hold a candle to the dent of the 22-250.

Do tell us how many wolves you’ve shot with a 22-250. Post them pictures up.
Old 01-12-2022, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
Actually this is a very common occurrence with small calibre, high velocity rounds. The reason they penetrate, or like reddeerhunter's example make a much bigger dent, and much heavier cartridges don't is the whole force over area thing. A hypodermic needle will easily puncture your skin with relatively little pressure, the tip of a pen requires significantly more pressure to do the same thing, yet is only slightly larger in total diameter/circumference.
I thought it was just Cabela’s junk steel targets. I’ve yet to see anything go through my 1/2” AR 500 targets.
Old 01-12-2022, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marky_mark View Post
Full metal jackets

A varmint bullet like a varmint grenade wont go through a water bottle
If I remember right I think it was those white box Winchester’s.
Old 01-12-2022, 08:45 PM

Quote:
I thought it was just Cabela’s junk steel targets. I’ve yet to see anything go through my 1/2” AR 500 targets.
Yeah that’s my thought also. I got a plate of AR500 steel from a member here a few years ago and it saw probably 500 rounds of steel core Russian surplus ammo. Few dents that’s all I have….
Old 01-12-2022, 09:23 PM

i use a 700 Rem BDL 7mm Mag with 175gr

but i like them close

coming right at me

35 yards or less

i am not there to play

these ground blinds wow

calling works

just saying

David
Attached Images
File Type: jpg user20496_pic8971_1415250601.jpg (59.1 KB, 102 views)
File Type: jpg user20496_pic10660_1536019070.jpg (64.0 KB, 96 views)
File Type: jpg user20496_pic9100_1419488852.jpg (41.5 KB, 107 views)
Old 01-12-2022, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
^this^^

My .260 punched through my biggest gong every other caliber up to and including .375 H&H just splatted.

Years ago I had a .243 with 85gr. sierra hpbt and a 7.62x45mm out stump shooting the .243 bullets sailed right through a old hardened steel implement rim/tire the 7.62 went about 1/2 way through. I put it down as velocity but Deans explanation makes even more sense.
- older 6x fixed scopes with fine X or target dot.
Old 01-13-2022, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowmanbob View Post
Do tell us how many wolves you’ve shot with a 22-250. Post them pictures up.

I dont own one. Have only shot one wolf with a 300 win mag.
I was just talking about a real life experience with a friend and losing a bet.

You guys need to relax. No wonder ppl are hesitant to post here.

Old 01-13-2022, 04:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270person View Post
Long range snipers born from watching too many hunting programs are not allowed use of?

No deer with thick hair or moving can be targeted? Or, unless said deer has spots and milk on its lips it shall be considered off limits.

We all know a large number of users would attempt the same shots at the same distances they do with their larger center fires. Its human (clueless hunter) nature.

What the hell would the advantage be in shooting a .22 vs a 6mm? If its recoil the hunters worried about, 4 lbs vs 8-9 they should take up a new pasttime. Or wait til they get through puberty.
Perfect Response !
Old 01-13-2022, 04:19 AM

I’ve killed a lot of wolves at many different ranges with my 22-250 Varmint with 55gr. Have never had a wounded get away. Great gun, cheap ammo.
Old 01-13-2022, 06:48 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiga View Post
I’ve killed a lot of wolves at many different ranges with my 22-250 Varmint with 55gr. Have never had a wounded get away. Great gun, cheap ammo.
It will keeeeel

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 01-13-2022, 02:33 PM

I just finished skinning an old female wolf that weighed 75lb.
I took some measurements on the carcass and found 7" across the shoulders tapering down to 5.5" behind the shoulders and reaching the thickest point near the last rib at 8".
Most wolves shot will be in that 75-100 lb range, so relying on 22-250 to provide more than adequate penetration is completely acceptable.
You don't need full penetration but you need to cut through a bit of fur and relatively thin skin (much thinner than taht of a deer) and the bullet to expand and mess up the lungs.
A 55 grain bullet, or larger, will accomplish that.
Old 01-13-2022, 02:40 PM

@ Speckle55, nice wolves in those pics buddy!
"Placed correctly Swift A-Frames will reliably kill big bears. So will North Forks, Nosler Partitions, Barnes TSX, Kodiaks, Woodleighs, GS soft points, Hornady Interbonds and Speer Grand Slams - and if I missed your favorite bullet -it probably will too.
It's time to go hunting and quit all this ballistic masturbation."

Phil Shoemaker
Old 01-13-2022, 05:24 PM

Default 22-250 For Wolves

Yes
Old 01-14-2022, 03:54 AM

Quote:

What the hell would the advantage be in shooting a .22 vs a 6mm? If its recoil the hunters worried about, 4 lbs vs 8-9 they should take up a new pasttime. Or wait til they get through puberty.

Is an extra 4lbs of recoil not noticeable? In this case it's double. Are we talking about flinching here or something else. Isn't that related to recoil?. Caliber goes down, less recoil, more accurate shots = more kills... or is it less kills because of smaller cartridge size. Some of my friends have just picked up their first rifles and they're way past puberty... lol. Hi my name is Trevor and I'm a flincher. lol... I had to drop down to a .243 and now I'm a 3rd class hunter because of it. You go with what you got. Enjoy hunting, enjoy the pastime even if your not perfect.

Not very nice what you said in your post at the end but I understand what you are saying. I talk in those tones myself. Practice and training resolves that issue. It's a problem for some of us. In the mean time the 22-250 is a very nice caliber for what it's intended for. I had one and miss it... Prairie dogging especially.

Bye for now.
Old 01-14-2022, 07:38 AM

All this talk of the 22-250, think I'll scope my unfired Bergara and put it through the paces and take a drive for some critters.....as been stated it will kill. If it will knock down a 200 lb whitetail I suspect a wolf would be no match for a properly placed 55gr soft point pill.

I've only shot two wolves in my life, one with a 338 and the other with a 270. I wasn't hunting wolves at the time but they decided to come in while I was calling moose.
Old 01-14-2022, 08:29 AM

Based on the penetration and kills on coyotes I’ve witnessed with my 22-250, I wouldn’t hesitate to use mine on wolves. It kills….
I too would use a minimum 55 grain pill and limit my shot distances a bit more than I would on coyotes.
Old 01-14-2022, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popcan View Post
Is an extra 4lbs of recoil not noticeable? In this case it's double. Are we talking about flinching here or something else. Isn't that related to recoil?. Caliber goes down, less recoil, more accurate shots = more kills... or is it less kills because of smaller cartridge size. Some of my friends have just picked up their first rifles and they're way past puberty... lol. Hi my name is Trevor and I'm a flincher. lol... I had to drop down to a .243 and now I'm a 3rd class hunter because of it. You go with what you got. Enjoy hunting, enjoy the pastime even if your not perfect.

Not very nice what you said in your post at the end but I understand what you are saying. I talk in those tones myself. Practice and training resolves that issue. It's a problem for some of us. In the mean time the 22-250 is a very nice caliber for what it's intended for. I had one and miss it... Prairie dogging especially.

Bye for now.

Going from 10 to 20, or 20 to 40 pounds of recoil is very noticeable and vastly dissimilar to going from 4 to 8 but good effort on your part. 15 lbs of recoil, roughly double that of a .243, is generally accepted as the cut off point for some to develop a flinch. If its going to happen.

But you want to debate a rifle producing 8-9 doing the same? Really?

Simple fact. 8-9 lbs of recoil is produced by a rifle legally recognized as the minimum for big game in Alberta. If one cannot tolerate said recoil levels then one will not, and should not, be big game hunting and is welcome to legally enjoy varmint hunting for sustenance instead.

Better?
Old 01-14-2022, 11:38 AM

I carry two rifles for wolves, use to carry a 220 swift sako for 35 years ,worst mistake I ever made was selling it. I carry my 22 250 in my truck plus my 7mm RM

If you can't kill a wolf at 200 yards with a 22 250 then there's something wrong , 250 plus on windy days over shooting on a lake I bring out the 7mm rm ,been doing that for near 50 years always went well.

If they come in close I find at close range I get back on target faster with the the 22 250 when they split , the reason for the 7mm rm is that's the rifle
I practice with the most out of all my hunting rifle and not on some bench.

Pick your choice ,hit them right and they will drop ,easy as that. Bullet choice in both is very important, so if you own the rifle you should know which bullet.

Yes i could use what others like, but i really don't give a rats arrs what others like, I wear my own kinda hat and it fits me well . I also pick my own shoes and boots to wear , but that may upset some also .

CHEERS
JD
Old 01-14-2022, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Going from 10 to 20, or 20 to 40 pounds of recoil is very noticeable and vastly dissimilar to going from 4 to 8 but good effort on your part. 15 lbs of recoil, roughly double that of a .243, is generally accepted as the cut off point for some to develop a flinch. If its going to happen.

But you want to debate a rifle producing 8-9 doing the same? Really?

Simple fact. 8-9 lbs of recoil is produced by a rifle legally recognized as the minimum for big game in Alberta. If one cannot tolerate said recoil levels then one will not, and should not, be big game hunting and is welcome to legally enjoy varmint hunting for sustenance instead.

Better?
There are some who consider the 270 Winchrsyer marginal for deer.
Everyone has an opinion , right or wrong.
Cat
Old 01-14-2022, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruffy71 View Post
years ago I got to shoot a 25-06 down in the states. I really liked that caliber, seems it would be a good choice for wolf, but I never hear about that caliber anymore. Does anybody still shoot it?
I shoot a 25-06 for deer when I'm hunting open farm fields. If I came across a wolf when I was carrying it I would definitely take a shot with it. I think I would make a great caliber for wolf hunting.

The one wolf i have killed was about 6-7 years ago North of Fort Mac I was deer hunting and came across a single black wolf he fell to my 270 that I had at the time.

I will be going out this year and targeting wolves for the first time. I am a avid coyote hunter and 22-250 in my gun of choice. My 22-250 is a tikka. It's been with me for 12 or so years now, I feel the most comfortablewith the rifle out of every other gun I own, also its the rifle I have shot the most. I have taken shots with it that have been some of the farthest shots I have ever taken. I know with out a question that I can and will kill wolves with it.

It boils down to what you are the most comfortable with making good shots with.
Old 01-14-2022, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tex92 View Post
I shoot a 25-06 for deer when I'm hunting open farm fields. If I came across a wolf when I was carrying it I would definitely take a shot with it. I think I would make a great caliber for wolf hunting.

The one wolf i have killed was about 6-7 years ago North of Fort Mac I was deer hunting and came across a single black wolf he fell to my 270 that I had at the time.

I will be going out this year and targeting wolves for the first time. I am a avid coyote hunter and 22-250 in my gun of choice. My 22-250 is a tikka. It's been with me for 12 or so years now, I feel the most comfortablewith the rifle out of every other gun I own, also its the rifle I have shot the most. I have taken shots with it that have been some of the farthest shots I have ever taken. I know with out a question that I can and will kill wolves with it.

It boils down to what you are the most comfortable with making good shots with.
As my grandfather used to say, "beware of the one gun man"
Old 01-14-2022, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
There are some who consider the 270 Winchester marginal for deer.

Cat
Right or wrong; the .243 for a lot of hunters is the first rifle they pull out and harvest deer, elk and moose successfully.

I believe it is all in the hands of the shooter and all the obstacles one faces in the field.

Perfect practice, makes perfect.

We have two lives: The life we learn with and the life we live with after that.
Old 01-14-2022, 02:48 PM

Quote:
There are some who consider the 270 Winchrsyer marginal for deer.
Cat

I'd be interested in knowing how many.

C'mon cat. That'd put 40% of the deer hunters on this site our of commission.

Last edited by 270person; 01-14-2022 at 03:07 PM.
Old 01-14-2022, 03:09 PM

Question

Quote:
I'd be interested in knowing how many.

C'mon cat. That'd put 40% of the deer hunters on this site our of commission.
Why doesn't matter, for every opinion there is a counter opinion .
There are also lots who think the 6.5 Creedmoor is superior to the .303 British for killing deer, but they can't prove it either.
Cat
Old 01-14-2022, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Why doesn't matter, for every opinion there is a counter opinion .
There are also lots who think the 6.5 Creedmoor is superior to the .303 British for killing deer, but they can't prove it either.
Cat
Especially now that he is BANNED once again.
Old 01-14-2022, 04:15 PM

Frank Glaser carried a .220 swift for wolf control in Alaska when he worked for the game department.
Roy Chaney favoured a 17-223 improved,shooting a 37 grain berger bullet for wolf control in Alaska as well.
Personally,I have shot 5 with a 25-06 using a 75 grain v-max,3 with a .243 Ackley using 107 grain Match Kings and 1 with a 6mm dasher with 107 grain Match Kings.All one shot kills over bait.Hit them where you're supposed to and they die quickly,hit them on the edges and so long.

Last edited by Northwinds; 01-14-2022 at 04:16 PM. Reason: spelling