Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 01-07-2022, 03:33 PM

Default .22-250 For Wolves

Is the .22-250 legal for hunting wolves in Alberta?
"Placed correctly Swift A-Frames will reliably kill big bears. So will North Forks, Nosler Partitions, Barnes TSX, Kodiaks, Woodleighs, GS soft points, Hornady Interbonds and Speer Grand Slams - and if I missed your favorite bullet -it probably will too.
It's time to go hunting and quit all this ballistic masturbation."

Phil Shoemaker
Old 01-07-2022, 03:41 PM

Default 22-250 for wolves

Yes.
Old 01-07-2022, 03:43 PM

Ok, is it adequate?
"Placed correctly Swift A-Frames will reliably kill big bears. So will North Forks, Nosler Partitions, Barnes TSX, Kodiaks, Woodleighs, GS soft points, Hornady Interbonds and Speer Grand Slams - and if I missed your favorite bullet -it probably will too.

Phil Shoemaker
Old 01-07-2022, 03:48 PM

Yes, it’s adequate, but opinions may vary.

Last edited by Ken3134; 01-07-2022 at 03:49 PM. Reason: Clarifying
Old 01-07-2022, 03:52 PM

I suppose perfect broad side lung shots?

Phil Shoemaker
Old 01-07-2022, 04:01 PM

Short answer ? Not adequate nor illegal.

Grizz

Isaiah 5:8
Old 01-07-2022, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams1 View Post
Short answer ? Not adequate nor illegal.

Grizz
With a poor bullet choice it is marginal perhaps. With a proper bullet choice it should be more then adequate for wolves in reasonable range. All things being equal. In jurisdictions where it is legal to hunt deer with that cartridge it has proven itself adequate on deer, so I don't see why it wouldn't on wolves. I'm not saying it would be my first choice, particularly for deer, but the question was if it was adequate. And with a bullet chosen for the purpose I'd say it is. Maybe something like a 55 gr Game King., or various 55 gr SP. Like I said, not my first choice, and I wouldn't use a bullet lighter then that, or any of the frangible varmint type bullets (VMAX). I believe Nosler makes a 60 gr partition as well, the issue then becomes stabilizing a heavier bullet, you'd have to match to your twist rate.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone

Last edited by Twisted Canuck; 01-07-2022 at 04:16 PM.
Old 01-07-2022, 04:28 PM

Sounds like it's time to take out my 1996, M700 Sendero, .270Win.

Phil Shoemaker
Old 01-07-2022, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demonical View Post
I suppose perfect broad side lung shots?
I have a few friends who shoot some pretty big dear and wolves with the .220 Swift and the 22/250 with no issues with either high shoulder or lung shots.
Same as hunting with cartridge really, proper bullet selection and shot placement
I had killed a few years ago with the Deuce at over 100 yards.....
Cat
Old 01-07-2022, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Sounds like it's time to take out my 1996, M700 Sendero, .270Win.
Honestly, I wouldn't have an issue taking the 22-250 out, particularly if it shot the 60 gr partition well. It would be a show stopper on wolves I think. The 270 would work good too.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 01-07-2022, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
I have a few friends who shoot some pretty big dear and wolves with the .220 Swift and the 22/250 with no issues with either high shoulder or lung shots.
Same as hunting with cartridge really, proper bullet selection and shot placement
I had killed a few years ago with the Deuce at over 100 yards.....
Cat
I thought it is not legal to shoot big game with 22-250…. I could be wrong…
Old 01-07-2022, 04:52 PM

Default 22 250

I think Heimo Korth is Alaska used a 22 250 for everything.
Old 01-07-2022, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Is the .22-250 legal for hunting wolves in Alberta?
It is legal but you have to be a pretty good shooter to place a perfect shot. I would go with something bigger than that. Perfect shots don’t come very often in real life. But that’s just my opinion.
Old 01-07-2022, 04:54 PM

Default 22 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by robfraser View Post
For problem bears he a 12 guage with Remington slugs.
Old 01-07-2022, 05:03 PM

As with anything shot placement is the most important but the 22-250 is all I ever used to hunt wolves until a few years back I had it rebarreled into a 7mm-08 which the was used on the last wolf. When a 22-250 never used the lighter bullets always used the 70grain speer, shot quit a few deer with it as well.
Best you use what you feel most comfortable with, but remember to know where your gun is shooting, I think you all ready had that issue.
Old 01-07-2022, 05:07 PM

An elderly gentleman I was deer hunting with this past fall was using a 22-250, which I questioned quietly and internally. Those thoughts quickly changed when he anchored his buck at 175 yards...! Broadside shot, ribcage, after impact the thing took two steps and collapsed. He said that's all he's ever used for moose, deer and elk and has never lost an animal.

I guess I have to be a believer because I witnessed it. I didn't ask what bullet he was using but it worked.
Old 01-07-2022, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robfraser View Post
I think Heimo used 55 grain federal.
Old 01-07-2022, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck View Post
With a poor bullet choice it is marginal perhaps. With a proper bullet choice it should be more then adequate for wolves in reasonable range. All things being equal. In jurisdictions where it is legal to hunt deer with that cartridge it has proven itself adequate on deer, so I don't see why it wouldn't on wolves. I'm not saying it would be my first choice, particularly for deer, but the question was if it was adequate. And with a bullet chosen for the purpose I'd say it is. Maybe something like a 55 gr Game King., or various 55 gr SP. Like I said, not my first choice, and I wouldn't use a bullet lighter then that, or any of the frangible varmint type bullets (VMAX). I believe Nosler makes a 60 gr partition as well, the issue then becomes stabilizing a heavier bullet, you'd have to match to your twist rate.
Having been there, Wolves aren't deer, they are much more attached to their hide, no sense bringing a knife to a gun fight. That one shot might be all you get and be a bummer to lose him.

Grizz

Isaiah 5:8
Old 01-07-2022, 05:26 PM

22-250 is not only legal it’s a good choice for wolf. The thing is that you need to make a good shot. I would choose a varmint bullet because I think they are more forgiving with wolf/coyote.
A bad shot even with any of the big .308’s will send you home empty handed.
Old 01-07-2022, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sage 13 View Post
As with anything shot placement is the most important but the 22-250 is all I ever used to hunt wolves until a few years back I had it rebarreled into a 7mm-08 which the was used on the last wolf. When a 22-250 never used the lighter bullets always used the 70grain speer, shot quit a few deer with it as well.
Best you use what you feel most comfortable with, but remember to know where your gun is shooting, I think you all ready had that issue
Yessir, I surely did! First stop tomorrow is the range!

Phil Shoemaker
Old 01-07-2022, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KGB View Post
I thought it is not legal to shoot big game with 22-250…. I could be wrong…
I'm Alberta yes it is not legal but not in Some other Provinces. In fact I'm some Provinces and States the 22/250 is quite popular .
As far as wolves versus deer go, I have never seen any difference when it comes to killing them.
Hit them in the lungs or shoulder with a proper bullet and they die, period
Cat
Old 01-07-2022, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Having been there, Wolves aren't deer, they are much more attached to their hide, no sense bringing a knife to a gun fight. That one shot might be all you get and be a bummer to lose him.

Grizz
Truth to that as well. As I said, it wouldn't be my first choice, if I was going to pick I'd probably go with a .243 or just use my 7mm08 and expect to stitch big holes up. But, I do think the 22-250 can get the job done with a 60 gr partition (that would be my bullet choice). But, .243. Better.

Old 01-07-2022, 05:58 PM

Quote:

Grizz
A bigger cartridge or more of them shot at a fleeing animal will not make up for a bad shot .
Cat
Old 01-07-2022, 06:18 PM

I wouldn’t go out looking for wolves with a 22-250 if I had bigger options.
Old 01-07-2022, 06:32 PM

Only shoot targets with my 22-250. Bullets will go through a 3/8 piece of flat iron. If that isn't enough I'm not sure what is.
Old 01-07-2022, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
A bigger cartridge or more of them shot at a fleeing animal will not make up for a bad shot .
Cat
A bad shot with a 7mm or .300 mag will cause far more devastating effects than a bad shot with a .22 centerfire on a wolf...IMO of course
Old 01-07-2022, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainTi View Post
A bad shot with a 7mm or .300 mag will cause far more devastating effects than a bad shot with a .22 centerfire on a wolf...IMO of course
Some may, but I have NEVER picked a cartridge because it may do more damage with a bad hit than another.
The whole key is to make the first shot count, not hope on subsequent shots or
or that a bad hit will slow an animal down.
I've seen deer run with a bad magnum hit only to be shot with a lesser cartridge at a great distance.
However, if a person feels they need something like that , soo be it.....
Cat
Old 01-07-2022, 07:38 PM

I’ve shot many a coyote with the 22-250 . No issues . Wolves I’m sure can be killed with it , but I like my 270 because as any wolf hunter will tell you there’s not a lot of chances .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-07-2022, 07:45 PM

I wouldn't think twice.
Old 01-07-2022, 07:50 PM

If it is big enough to break the shoulder and take out the lungs then it’s a big enough gun. I think you shouldn’t use a bullet that has to hit the bone to perform to be a good bullet for a wolf.