Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 01-09-2022, 10:34 AM

Default fishing guide license

I recently read in the new changes to the Alberta sport fishing regulations for 2022-2023. In the changes it stated that for guides in Alberta, a Guide sport fishing license will be required for the upcoming year to guide in Alberta and is available on relm. I could not find anything on relm or in the changes as to the price of the license. Has anybody see or heard anything?

Thanks in Advance

Chin
Old 01-10-2022, 10:20 AM

This has been an issue we have been discussing in the Guiding Community (at least with some of the guides within Calgary)...

Most guides are in favour of a guiding license, but this is clearly a cash grab by the government!!

The issue is that other than paying a fee, there is no other (minimum) requirement! No confirmation of liability insurance nor any first aid requirement - NOTHING! Pay your $ and you can call yourself a fishing guide! (although previously anyone could call themselves a fishing guide... You just have to pay for that privilege now).

Ridiculous!!

Peter

The Alpine Experience

-Confucius
Old 01-10-2022, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ÜberFly View Post
Most guides are in favour of a guiding license, but this is clearly a cash grab by the government!!

Ridiculous!!

Peter

The Alpine Experience
This is a cash grab by guides, they now have a value related relationship to the resource. They are no better than others who wish to rape our resources.

Explain why a group would want more regulation...... protection of their $$$s period.

This will be shown true in the next years when recreational users are subjected to rod days, the guides won't be as they need to support their lifestyles.

This will be the end of our fisheries as we know it, and has been shown in every other jurisdiction that has done this.

Anyone want to discuss the incredible growth of Steelhead stocks that coincides with licensing and rod days in BC.... no because it shows how this will go.
Old 01-10-2022, 03:59 PM

Yep just yet another cash grab.
Old 01-11-2022, 07:33 AM

Good point Jayhad.
I imagine in the future there will be the discussion of "rod days" that guides will be allocated. These "rod days" are going to have significant financial value. So the guides are going to receive a financial gift from the government based on how many fishing days they did in the past. At some point in the future these guides may be able to sell/trade this financial gift to the next person.
Problem is, the guides did nothing to deserve this financial gift from the government over the next fisherman. Getting a free gift from the government just because you exploit a public resource in BS.
When the stakeholders in the game discussing this with the government are from the Guiding industry itself...one might think the fox is watching the henhouse. Can you say "vested interest".

Additionally, I have s concern regarding how rod days will be determined. Considering there is money involved, there will be incentive for guides to inflate past fishing trip numbers to make sure their new "rod day" numbers are nice and high....more money for them.

If the government chooses to limit angling opportunites in the near future, they better start with the guiding industry over the recreational anglers. Limit the number of guides, no USA guides, no BC guides working in Alberta. After that they can start considering changing recreational angler rules
Old 01-11-2022, 07:44 AM

So, you're saying I should buy a guide license every year, and eventually I'll have some sort of quota i can sell.
Old 01-11-2022, 09:57 AM

Licensing the guides is likely a means to track how many people are actually calling themselves guides.
Old 01-11-2022, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey Cox View Post
So, you're saying I should buy a guide license every year, and eventually I'll have some sort of quota i can sell.
In BC If you can afford it, this is the way. Guiding licenses carry ungodly values.
Old 01-11-2022, 12:50 PM

Yes Pikebreath that will be the start.

Also asking guides to record angling effort, catch rates, tag fish...you know, doing the biology that the government should be doing themselves.
How accurate will this information collected be when it is coming from folks who have a vested interesting in maintaining the status quo of full steam ahead using the public resource? Pretty sure the guides won't be advising the government that rod days should be reduced, seasonal or area closures should be created to decrease pressure on dwindling fish stocks (especially for threatened species like Cutthroat). Afterall, there is money to be made in the short term. Who cares about the future!

As we watch Steelhead disappear i have to wonder about the skill of the managers of the resource
Old 01-13-2022, 04:04 AM

With the care that many guides have shown to our fisheries resources by not requiring their clients to clean their gear to stop Whirling Disease, one has to wonder why they are allowed.
If you can’t look after your resources, why are you still there?

Don
Old 01-14-2022, 11:38 AM

I apologize for asking the question. I was merely looking to see if anyone knew what the cost was as I am a guide myself. I surely didn't mean for the bash session to happen.
Old 01-14-2022, 06:00 PM

Government biologist said the cost would not be too high. I imagine somewhere around $50....maybe even less. They just want to see how many "guides" there are right now
Old 01-15-2022, 07:53 AM

Thanks Gold scud. I have no issues with the license. I hope the money goes back into enhancement, and conservation for the fisheries and is not a cash grab. I unfortunately think I already know the answer to this though.
Old 01-15-2022, 08:37 AM

Selling licenses legitimizes this bunch.
Over the past few years I’ve meet guides who were dentists, psychologists & teachers.
Would they need the money?

Don

Last edited by Don Andersen; 01-15-2022 at 08:58 AM.
Old 01-15-2022, 09:01 AM

Someone willing to pay for their services legitimizes them.
What does their day job have to do with anything?
Old 01-15-2022, 10:24 AM

I find the main Factor that a person gains from hiring a guide at a lake is his knowledge and the use of his boat as many people do not have a boat .

So saying this will all those that set up ice fishing shacks on a lake and rent them out ,will also need a guide licence.

Just when will it stop .

Last edited by -JR-; 01-15-2022 at 10:42 AM.
Old 01-15-2022, 11:00 AM

Curious, are fishing guides required to have a business license?

made in Alberta__ born n raised.

FS-Tinfool hats by the roll.
Old 01-15-2022, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntsfurfish View Post

I would say it depends how much you make a year .
Old 01-15-2022, 04:48 PM

I have my business incorporated and run 5 million liability. I maintain a business license in the town that i reside. As for the other comment about dentists, psychologists and such, I too have a full time job outside of guiding. I guide because I enjoy meeting new people and sharing fly fishing experiences with them. I also plan to carry on after I am retired. Many guides have another source of income.
Old 01-18-2022, 05:09 PM

That's the issue...

Business license is not required, minimum first aid isn't required, and liability insurance isn't required...

What is required, is your $50!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntsfurfish View Post

-Confucius
Old 01-18-2022, 08:08 PM

Thanks guys.

made in Alberta__ born n raised.

FS-Tinfool hats by the roll.
Old 01-19-2022, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ÜberFly View Post
That's the issue...

Business license is not required, minimum first aid isn't required, and liability insurance isn't required...

What is required, is your $50!!
Anyone who would run an operation like this is destined for huge trouble. Like I posted before, I run liability insurance, carry a business license and carry first aid. Any client looking for a reputable guide should ask these questions prior to booking.
Old 01-19-2022, 10:16 AM

Yup we here you ,also any one that takes there friends out on the lake in there boat should have the same .
Old 01-20-2022, 11:51 AM

I agree as do I. (plus I have to get permits with where I operate)..

But that's the entire issue with what the Government license is all about..

And with today's "Kijiji" generation where people just look at price.

The government guide license is a joke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinchaga07 View Post
Anyone who would run an operation like this is destined for huge trouble. Like I posted before, I run liability insurance, carry a business license and carry first aid. Any client looking for a reputable guide should ask these questions prior to booking.

-Confucius
Old 01-20-2022, 12:14 PM

So if I take out some new to fishing friends to share some of my haunts, provide them with rods, flies, lures, lunch, transportation. Set them up on known holes that usually hold fish. Help them tie the fly on the line. I never ask for compensation of any form. If they offer to pitch for gas I'm happy. Am I considered a fishing guide?

BW
Old 01-20-2022, 12:37 PM

That's more than some guides do
Old 01-20-2022, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigwoodsman View Post
So if I take out some new to fishing friends to share some of my haunts, provide them with rods, flies, lures, lunch, transportation. Set them up on known holes that usually hold fish. Help them tie the fly on the line. I never ask for compensation of any form. If they offer to pitch for gas I'm happy. Am I considered a fishing guide?

BW
No, from now on only guides have licenses
Old 01-21-2022, 07:22 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ge9le3qxOs

All the information available is in this video, fast forward to about the 20 minute mark if this is all you're interested in.
Old 01-21-2022, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldscud View Post
Good point Jayhad.
I imagine in the future there will be the discussion of "rod days" that guides will be allocated. These "rod days" are going to have significant financial value. So the guides are going to receive a financial gift from the government based on how many fishing days they did in the past. At some point in the future these guides may be able to sell/trade this financial gift to the next person.
Problem is, the guides did nothing to deserve this financial gift from the government over the next fisherman. Getting a free gift from the government just because you exploit a public resource in BS.
When the stakeholders in the game discussing this with the government are from the Guiding industry itself...one might think the fox is watching the henhouse. Can you say "vested interest".

Additionally, I have s concern regarding how rod days will be determined. Considering there is money involved, there will be incentive for guides to inflate past fishing trip numbers to make sure their new "rod day" numbers are nice and high....more money for them.

If the government chooses to limit angling opportunites in the near future, they better start with the guiding industry over the recreational anglers. Limit the number of guides, no USA guides, no BC guides working in Alberta. After that they can start considering changing recreational angler rules
Rod days should be treated like other resource revenue. The guides should bid on rod days yearly. That money should go back into fish stocking. Yearly rent should be paid for each spot used…. Also goes back into stocking and protection and research.

As well to combat funny games played in BC.

ANYONE caught selling or buying rod days to another guide should lose all remaining spots and be banned from guiding going forward. No out of province guides allowed.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 01-21-2022, 10:33 AM

Default Guide license

They cover it in some detail in the fishery engagement sessions posted on youtube. It was one of these two posted recently:

https://youtu.be/C_OL4Wm6lbA

https://youtu.be/6ge9le3qxOs