Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 01-08-2022, 09:04 PM

Default Hydration in cold weather

Does anyone else have to force themselves to drink water when hunting in the cold?

For some reason I have to force myself to drink water when hunting in cool temps, this is a lesson learned and may save someone the pain and agony I went through.

Backstory on why this happened.

I usually put my 2L hydration bladder in my pack and just use that since I hunt on foot and cover lots of ground per day.

While sitting for WT in Nov this year my hose froze solid, so the next time I went out I took a 1L Nalgene.... Big mistake

The next time I went out it was much warmer than anticipated, and it was a big day for hiking in full gear with a semi loaded pack and rifle.

Hunters were hiking into the spot I wanted to go as I was approaching the area so I went deeper and farther than I had before, I pushed into some thick stuff in a previously unexplored area. 3km in on a small ridge on a side hill I hear sticks popping and some goofy sounding cow calls. Long story short I ended up surrounded by elk in thick cover. Wind swirls and they alarm and blow out in 2 different directions. Track the half of the herd that I could hear bulls in. Long story short, after playing peekaboo with these elk for 6 hours I was able to put my first bull on the ground from 230 yards. Time is now 4 pm. After getting emotional a bit and having a huge crash from the adrenaline wearing off. I needed to get to work on getting this thing processed. I pull out my water bottle and realize I have 400 ml left. Elk processing takes till about 7:30 pm. it is pitch black and clear. I can already feel the dehydration setting in as my knees were starting to ache and my head was starting to throb. I packed one load(45 lbs)out the 5 km to the car and suffered the whole way, tendons and ligaments in my knees where shooting pain up and down my legs and my head was pounding.

I did have a bottle of water in the vehicle but it was mostly frozen.

Most pain I had been in in a long, long time. Drove home and devised a plan to collect my elk the following day. Made a call and was granted permission to drive on the property but to stick to the access roads. The rest of the pack out was much easier being 1 km to the truck and having daylight. 6 trips total and I had my first elk(5x5 Bull) loaded. The celebration beer went down beautifully.

Pack a minimum 2 liters of water folks, or take a filtering device.
I went out for a WT, and found elk. Plans can change quick so always be prepared.

I can't figure out how to load pics or I would have posted a couple to make the long read worthwhile.
Old 01-09-2022, 05:16 AM
Banned

Try a thermos
Old 01-09-2022, 09:42 AM

My system for cold weather is a hydration bladder either in a very light slim backpack worn under my sweater and coat with the hose running down my left sleeve. Or a pouch I made that hangs under my left arm( think shoulder holster) again the tube runs in my sleeve up my left arm. I have never had a freeze up in any weather as my body heat keeps things thawed. If I'm not wearing a backpack I use the backpack style. If I'm needing my frame pack I'll use the under arm bag. I have been thinking of sewing a pouch into the inside of a wool sweater and reinforcing with a shoulder strap of webbing ( so the weight if the bladder doesnt pull the sweater down) thinking a bag on the inside of the back and one under the arm..just wear that sweater under your coat and your golden. Having the mouth spout up your sleeve actually works great

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk
Old 01-09-2022, 10:58 AM

Starting off with hot water helps. We usually carry a small stove and stop for a pot of noodles and a couple cups of tea.
Old 01-09-2022, 12:39 PM

Usually I bring two thermos full of tea for myself and my hunting buddy with a bit of a brown sugar in it to make it very lightly sweet or a few spoons of honey. Boiling water in both. By the time we are ready to head home- the tea is still very warm and we usually have 1/2 thermos left between two of us. Buddy also brings his coffee to start but then he has to **** every 30 min, lol!
Old 01-10-2022, 12:17 PM

Thermos and eat snow as you walk. Melt in mouth before swallowing.
Old 01-10-2022, 01:01 PM

if you put your 1L Nalgene in your pack lid down the cap won't freeze on, if you blow air back into your bladder so there isn't any water in the hose it won't freeze as quickly, if you carry a jetboil or a tin cup you can melt endless snow and sterilize water, if you have a water filter you can pump clean water from the swampiest swamps one with a charcoal filter will take the swamp taste out of it, if all else fails pack a few Katadyn tabs in your first aid kit they take time and dont taste great but for the grams they weigh the single sugar pack sized bulk they could save your life.

i've been running a single one litre bottle for years even on multi week hot early season backpack trips, if you know your area and know where the water is your never really far from it in the mountains.

Last edited by Dubious; 01-10-2022 at 01:07 PM.
Old 01-10-2022, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianscott View Post
Does anyone else have to force themselves to drink water when hunting in the cold?

For some reason I have to force myself to drink water when hunting in cool temps, this is a lesson learned and may save someone the pain and agony I went through.

Backstory on why this happened.

I usually put my 2L hydration bladder in my pack and just use that since I hunt on foot and cover lots of ground per day.

While sitting for WT in Nov this year my hose froze solid, so the next time I went out I took a 1L Nalgene.... Big mistake

The next time I went out it was much warmer than anticipated, and it was a big day for hiking in full gear with a semi loaded pack and rifle.

Hunters were hiking into the spot I wanted to go as I was approaching the area so I went deeper and farther than I had before, I pushed into some thick stuff in a previously unexplored area. 3km in on a small ridge on a side hill I hear sticks popping and some goofy sounding cow calls. Long story short I ended up surrounded by elk in thick cover. Wind swirls and they alarm and blow out in 2 different directions. Track the half of the herd that I could hear bulls in. Long story short, after playing peekaboo with these elk for 6 hours I was able to put my first bull on the ground from 230 yards. Time is now 4 pm. After getting emotional a bit and having a huge crash from the adrenaline wearing off. I needed to get to work on getting this thing processed. I pull out my water bottle and realize I have 400 ml left. Elk processing takes till about 7:30 pm. it is pitch black and clear. I can already feel the dehydration setting in as my knees were starting to ache and my head was starting to throb. I packed one load(45 lbs)out the 5 km to the car and suffered the whole way, tendons and ligaments in my knees where shooting pain up and down my legs and my head was pounding.

I did have a bottle of water in the vehicle but it was mostly frozen.

Most pain I had been in in a long, long time. Drove home and devised a plan to collect my elk the following day. Made a call and was granted permission to drive on the property but to stick to the access roads. The rest of the pack out was much easier being 1 km to the truck and having daylight. 6 trips total and I had my first elk(5x5 Bull) loaded. The celebration beer went down beautifully.

Pack a minimum 2 liters of water folks, or take a filtering device.
I went out for a WT, and found elk. Plans can change quick so always be prepared.

I can't figure out how to load pics or I would have posted a couple to make the long read worthwhile.
Quite an ordeal, dehydration is never fun. Rule of thumb I've always gone by is "drink before you thirsty".
I also do all day long hunts, most of the weight in my pack is water. I pack a 1L nalgen (as you do), but also another 1.5L bottle. In my bag I normally have a can of coca cola, but that is for if I end up in a situation where I run out of water, I can use the can to melt snow with a little fire if I was in the situation you found yourself in. I've never had to do that yet, but something to consider.
Old 01-10-2022, 03:02 PM

Good reminder.

I tend to get rewarded with painful leg cramps if I haven’t hydrated correctly during the day. I often forget to drink.

This season I’ve been working on this; I pre-drink, carry a large Nalgene and a small spare, limit caffeine, use Nuun tabs etc. so it’s been better.

Some great ideas on this thread, like the under-the-sweater idea and the coke can. Keep the ideas flowing!
Old 01-10-2022, 03:52 PM

I got a few Nalgene bottle insulated carrier that allows me to attach to a waist or pack belt so that is close at hand. Hot water into a Nalgene bottle, placed in the insulator will keep warm and not freeze for at least a whole day in -30 weather. I've done this many times while snowshoeing or x-country skiing. I will also carry a source of secondary water purification in an emergency.

We are fortunate in AB, in that there are plenty of water sources around.
Old 01-10-2022, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracker View Post
Thermos and eat snow as you walk. Melt in mouth before swallowing.
Good point, I do eat a lot of snow throughout the day come to think of it.
Old 01-10-2022, 05:47 PM

I was hunting late season elk through the recent cold snap. Packing a 1 litre thermos with hot tea and honey was my savior. I also had a full travel mug that I drank before I headed out. I had the full Thermos throughout the day, plus a full litre of water. If it was just cold water I wouldn't have been able to drink much, the tea was the ticket.
Old 01-10-2022, 05:54 PM

I always hydrate before the hike, 2 litres or so, drink till I cant drink anymore while I'm driving to location. Winter or cool fall, I carry a thermos of hot honey lemon water. When it gets to 1/2 empty I fill up with snow till its full again. In winter I also carry a metal cup and of course fire making stuff to melt snow if I have too. I've only had to thaw snow in the cup to refill a thermos a handful of times over the years.

Dehydration in the bush can have dire consequences.
Old 01-10-2022, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarychef View Post
Good point, I do eat a lot of snow throughout the day come to think of it.
Don’t eat yellow snow, it might taste funny!
Old 01-15-2022, 12:28 PM

Brian's pics....