Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 01-31-2021, 02:33 PM

Hi Tony, I went on this hunt with my Dad a few years ago when the success rate was higher, consistent with the population. We were able to close all our tags with relative ease.
In the last three years I have done it with my son as a helper and hunter. We have crawled on our knees and bellies closing distance on several Elk. We have walked and crawled through the snow to ambush and create angles on a heard of 1000-1500. We have experienced the disappointment of having a heard move directly towards us in the last hour of the last day of our hunt, only for them to change directions at the last minute from other shots fired. It is the ultimate chess game with many different uncertainties and outcomes. (Which more or less describes hunting anyway). However, if you are willing to log many kilometres in and out of your truck, you will likely get an opportunity or two over the course of three days. And of course as you may or may not have discovered, the meat has this unmistakable sweet flavor that I can only guess is from the sage brush that is so prevalent throughout the base?

The base personnel have always been kind to us, and the local Conservation Officers and Biologist have been very helpful in locating game.

The hunt is definitely more challenging than it was 4 years ago. But, if you and your son are generally patient and content people, you will find it to be a rewarding and memorable experience, right from the briefing, to hopefully a kill, and the interesting dynamic of the checkout station.
Old 01-31-2021, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chip View Post
And of course as you may or may not have discovered, the meat has this unmistakable sweet flavor that I can only guess is from the sage brush that is so prevalent throughout the base?
The meat is fantastic, however I believe it has more to do with the native prairie grasses (the original vegetation that helped sustain the buffalo herds), and the occasional foray across the river to raid the ranchers' alfalfa fields. Regardless, it is some of the best wild meat we have ever harvested.
Old 01-31-2021, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kris.singer View Post
Hey Bud, me and my wife did the last weeks hunt. It was eventfully to say the least. We chose to only go Tuesday and Wednesday. We arrived at the brief at 550 and got in line, we didn’t get on the range for till 9am. Most went north but we chose to go south based on the numbers harvested on Monday. We went to the east side of southern NWA and walked along the river edge. We came across a herd of 5 elk, 3 bulls and 2 cows. 2 of the bulls where huge, but I had a resident Cow tag. Unfortunately we weren’t able to close the gap and didn’t get a decent shot. Think we covered 17 km. On our way out, we witnessed a couple having there kill confiscated, not sure why. Not our business, but felt for the guy.

Wednesday, the morning brief started 10 minutes early and included a warning for some road closures as many trucks where getting stuck in the North east part of the base. In fact they brought out a tow truck on stand by... first I’ve seen in my 3 years. Anyway, we again decided to go into the South NWA. We got on the range a bit earlier, 0830 so we decided to drive a bit along the testing ground and west boundary of the NWA. We found a road that had a great high looking point and saw 4 elk. 2 walking and 2 lying down. We drove up and walked in. It was only 1.2 kk from the truck. And shot the two lying down from 220yards. It was nice to fill both tags before 0930. Had them back in the truck quartered and dressed before lunch. They where not the biggest elk, maybe 2-3 years old. But the filled the freezer.

I had been out 2 other years and been skunked. Chased the main herd all over the North NWA with no real success to speak of.. it something els to see 2000 elk move and cover the prairies but hard to sneak up on all those eyes and ears.

Was strange this year not to hear about the herds location, seems like they split. I hope we can go again big thanks to the CFB Suffield and the CAF personnel. Made the hunt possible.
Kris, I think you figured it out. Stay away from the crowds and the large herds, too many variables. Find a small group and sneak up on them. Didnt realize your wife was with you, glad she could be there for it.

Jeff
Old 02-01-2021, 11:23 AM

Default Day Dream!

Thanks for the replies everyone.

When I went as the helper that is how we got our elk. Hike into the NWA and killed a lone elk that was wounded.

I want my sons to experience everything we have as hunting opportunities in our province. They has done Taber Pheasant Festival as a novices, they have been on 5 prairie moose hunts, late season elk GP, and I have gotten back into waterfowl to give them that experience as well. From a young age they understand that hunting is a privilege that is not to be taken for granted.

That is why I would like do this hunt with them. Alberta, in my opinion, gives us so many gifts as hunters and I want my kids to experience it all. By the stories on this last hunt, this experience is still something very special.

Definitely going to it go. Only 11 1/2 months till then!

Thanks Again
Tony
Old 02-02-2021, 08:32 AM

Good on you Tony - great approach to raising well grounded kids. Provide them with the widest opportunities available, to experience and let them choose what to pursue.
Old 02-04-2021, 09:49 PM

Anyone from week 1 getting cwd results yet?
Old 01-13-2022, 01:04 PM

Default Elk hunting suffield

I am hunting outside the base and wish to share info.
Ken
403-816-4949
Old 01-13-2022, 01:21 PM

Default Elk hunting suffield

I am hunting outside the base and wish to share info.
Ken
403-816-4949
Old 01-13-2022, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianEh View Post
We arrived at 550. I was a helper this year. Not hunter.

Briefing, registrations, covid, NWA draw, driving to gate, and search...

We entered base around 10:15 or so. Maybe a little after.
How long do they take to search each truck? Never did that in 2015 when I was there.