Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 09-19-2021, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
We care only because if the CFO gets complaints from people that we are allowing prohibited firearms/magazines on the premises, and ignoring complaints about this, he can revoke our range approvals. Our priority is keeping our range open.
Anybody who has complained at our range about anything has never phoned the CFO, they have phoned the Ft McMurray detachment who in turn has phoned us . FWIW I have never seen anyone do a 30 round mag dump on our rangecand I doubt vet much we ever will when there is an RSO ON DUTY .
Our biggest violations are for safety not for legal firearms definitions .
Cat
Old 09-19-2021, 08:48 AM

Quote:
When you hear 20-30 rounds as fast as a person can pull the trigger, it's pretty obvious. When I was VP at
your range, I was called over by an RSO because a guy had a 30 round pistol magazine and was seeing
how fast he could dump 30 rounds.."
Got to admit, that would get very annoying very fast..1-3 clips fine, anymore than that: annoyance.
Old 09-19-2021, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubious View Post
How are some of you so confident this guy even identified him self as rcmp maybe he was just using his duty mags and was reported as any good range member should report illegal activities at the range, It could have came out after. Police are not above the law when off duty he should have known better and done better.
Most range members wouldn't know a legal firearm from an illegal firearm .
Crap we have people still arguing that Garand and Lee Enfields illegal magazines!
Cat
Old 09-19-2021, 08:56 AM

Quote:
20-30 rounds of rapid fire with no magazine change gets people's attention, and the complaints start rolling in. Then we have no choice, but to investigate the complaints..
You don't know if that was that happened in this case either .
This conversation is starting to border on the ridiculous stages, I'm done with it. C'ya
Cat

Last edited by catnthehat; 09-19-2021 at 09:10 AM.
Old 09-19-2021, 09:04 AM

deleted

Last edited by catnthehat; 09-19-2021 at 09:11 AM.
Old 09-19-2021, 09:12 AM

I can't see a CFO shutting down a range where no risk of public safety exists.
Old 09-19-2021, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battle Rat View Post
I can't see a CFO shutting down a range where no risk of public safety exists.
They weren't supposed to run illegal firearms registration systems either, but they did. They pretty much make up their own rules, and are not easy to hold accountable. Hopefully that changes with our new CFO .
Old 09-19-2021, 09:42 AM

Could be as simple as discussing with the CFO what the repercussions would be and what options there are to allow LEOs to practice with their assigned weapons.
Old 09-19-2021, 09:48 AM

It's a pity that jumping to conclusions isn't an olympic sport, I'm sure there would be some medalist here. We don't know who complained and we don't know what they complained about.

The only assumption I am (knowingly) making is that if he was going to a range when he was off duty he must have had a PAL. If he had a PAL, he should have known the legal status of the firearms in his possession and what his obligations were concerning them. As such I don't have a whole lot of sympathy for him. And if he didn't have a PAL I have even less sympathy for him.

ARG

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjemac View Post
It has been scientifically proven that a 308 round will not leave your property -- they essentially fall dead at the fence line. But a 38 round, when fired from a handgun, will of its own accord leave your property and destroy any small schools nearby.
Old 09-19-2021, 09:51 AM

I have personally been present at two ranges were leo have brought personal firearms to sight in while using the range during police training etc. They were not happy when I told them to buy a membership or leave.
The last time was just before the oic. Two Rcmp in uniform roll up to the pistol bay with both gf in tow. I check the log book as I did not see them enter the club house. No one signed in. No Rcmp schedule on website. They stare at me like Iam doing something wrong. I continue shooting and notice they are pulling out there Ar15 on the pistol range.
I walk over introduce myself and explain that was not legal, safe and they should sign in and follow range protocol.
Got nothing but attitude. I told them if they didn't comply I would ask for there names and badge numbers all there gf names and phone the local detachment then explain there officers actions and gf using Ar15 with high capacity mags and leo pistols that are prohibited for civilians while trespassing armed would go real south quick. I got a real weird look from the leos. The ladies looked white as a ghost.
I then asked them to either sign in follow the rules and next time not bring there dates without there own range membership and if in uniform they shouldn't be bringing people as guests.
For a few seconds I wasn't sure if I was gonna be arrested or they would comply. They hung around for a few moments then left. Due to there demeanor when they left I thought for sure a squad care would be waiting for me at the top of the hill.
My 2 cents for what its worth.
1. Leo are not openly opposing the oic or any firearms laws. Most would be falling all over themselves to charge us for the same crap.
2. They don't need a Pal.....so most have no clue on safe storage or transport laws.
3. 80 percent of leos need non for profit clubs to train. So don't abuse it.
4. If in uniform. And booked no issue. If not same laws apply to me. I have thousands of dollars tied up in paper weights. I cant use as a civilian so neither can they.
5. Way to many leos think they can squeeze past current range rules as they have a badge. NO!!! they should be setting examples for youth.
6. If you see a leo not follow the rules explain the rules give them an out. If they don't want to be responsible at a range then let them have it. If we don't and the ranges get shut down due to miss use the leo wont help us open another.
7. Let the Rcmp have his day in Court.
Its fall get out shooting hunting and take a new person or youth with you. Iam taking my son out this week with his new to him modified m77 ruger .257 Bob that Cat worked magic on the pad and trigger. Thanks again Cat.
Old 09-19-2021, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Au revoir, Gopher View Post
It's a pity that jumping to conclusions isn't an olympic sport, I'm sure there would be some medalist here. We don't know who complained and we don't know what they complained about.

The only assumption I am (knowingly) making is that if he was going to a range when he was off duty he must have had a PAL. If he had a PAL, he should have known the legal status of the firearms in his possession and what his obligations were concerning them. As such I don't have a whole lot of sympathy for him. And if he didn't have a PAL I have even less sympathy for him.

ARG
The only thing that isn't an assumption, is that he was charged, and as many people here like to point out, you don't get charged for no reason. People can whine all they want about why someone reported him, but if he is found guilty, he has nobody to blame but himself, and he doesn't deserve any more sympathy than anyone else that is convicted of the same offense.
Old 09-19-2021, 10:37 AM

That's why a certain detachment South of Calgary books our range a few times a year. On those days the range is closed to all members. The cops practice / qualify with their various weapons . Real good guys , do their thing and go home. Pretty easy . Seems you can barely fart these days and some daisy sniffer is whining.
Old 09-19-2021, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ackleyman View Post
That's why a certain detachment South of Calgary books our range a few times a year. On those days the range is closed to all members. The cops practice / qualify with their various weapons . Real good guys , do their thing and go home. Pretty easy . Seems you can barely fart these days and some daisy sniffer is whining.
Or perhaps the Royal gestapo should have learned that timeless lesson...don’t poop where you eat. They took a dump on gun owners and now get their noses rubbed in it, as should happen. Nice to see from the crown prosecutor, most would have tucked tail.

Last thing we need is cops thinking they are above the law when using their guns.
Old 09-19-2021, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ackleyman View Post
Many detachments book range time for law enforcement, without our ranges, most law enforcement would have no place to practise or qualify. Our city works with us to keep our range open, and in return, the city police have a range to book, at no cost to them. We also rent range time to the RCMP, F&W, and companies like Brinks, so having our non profit ranges benefits all of these organizations. But when the range is not booked, our rules are the same for all members, because it makes it much easier for a volunteer run organization, that usually has no RSO on the premises to run.
But the range rules are a non issue, if the courts decide that off duty law enforcement are not allowed to be at a range with prohibited firearms.
Old 09-19-2021, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
Here is Runkle's take on it, very interesting.
Now in case people are wondering WHY the RCMP and Military personal do not require and RPAL is because they do regular qualifications with their firearms as well as their initial firearms training.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8pN9h0yTZgU
Cat
This link was pulled down yesterday while I was watching it. I don't know if Ian pulled the plug or YouTube. It was a very well done. Explained the rules that LEO'S must follow. And the law surrounding while on duty.
Old 09-19-2021, 08:38 PM

I wonder if he knew the rules and was ignoring them, or doesn't actually know the legislation???

Arrogant or incompetent, quite a choice.........