Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 04-03-2020, 05:47 PM

I have no idea how so many things on this thread became silly arguments .....

clearly we are all Covid crazy here by now.
Old 04-03-2020, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270person View Post
Much more fun to specify 7mm Rem mag or 7mm STW or 7mm Weatherby vs just .284. Especially when one .284 can be infinitely superior over another.

It's like calling Camaros and Corvettes, "Chevrolets. Lumping them in with their boring Impala or Malibu kin. Clearly they are much more and as such deserve to be referred to in specific terms. Also not unlike lumping your 2 good looking dark haired kids in with the two red headed stepchildren you inherited in your second marriage. You might call it your "family" but you aren't kidding anybody. If the house is on fire with seconds to go, you're making sure the 2 darkhairs go out the window first.

In summary, the 7mm Rem Mag, 7mm STW, and 7mm Weatherby are the Camaros, Corvettes, and dark haired kids. You can show them off, talk glowingly about them to friends, and proudly take them out in public.

The 7mm-08 and .280 are the Malibu's, Impalas, and freckled nerds that sunburn easily. Sure, they may get the job done, eventually, but why limit yourself to a cartridge you'll only use for solo hunting...at night...in Saskatchewan...while wearing a disguise?

I think it's important to distinguish royalty from the commonality.

LOL......and I just cleaned the darn keyboard last week,....now, what to do with my 3 7-08's and 280AI.....
Old 04-03-2020, 11:51 PM

I’ve had some dandy deer guns including this 30BR I used several years ago... for obvious reasons as witnessed in the pic. A potent little cartridge that launches a 110 gr. Barnes TTSX @3075 FPS and is consistent enough for fun Range days.
Old 04-04-2020, 07:37 AM

Default You asked why...

Have owned and hunted (big game) with 30-30, 300WM, 270 Win, 250 Sav, 260 Rem, 30-06, 25-06, 7mm-08, 308 Win. Looking back, I didn't want a 308 Win because that cartridge is just so common-everybody has one-want to be different. Finally bought a nice little SS laminated 308 bolt gun because I realized why everybody has one...308 gets it done. Why?
30 cal. bullets-can find whatever weight and bullet construction you want anywhere.
308 brass-can find anywhere/inexpensive
308 ammo- can find anywhere
short action-compact and reliable
30 cal- maybe not as high BC or SD as 7mm but close enough
very decent MV for amount of powder burned
easy to load for-wide variety of powders (and load data).
very good accuracy possible
pleasant recoil
works well with short barreled rifles (I like 22" because it's compact).
well matched to standard hunting distances 100-400 yds. (velocity & trajectory).
In short, it covers all the bases.

If I didn't have a 30-06 I'd probably hunt moose with my 308.
If I'd started out with a 308, I might not have bought another rifle in another caliber/cartridge. Not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing.
IMO- only other cartridge that comes close to being as versatile is 7mm-08 but looses out to 308 just because of availability (and cost) of factory ammo.

I hunt (deer) with my 308 Win using 150 Accubond or Interbond with 45 gr. Varget @ 2900+ MV.

Last edited by gunluvr; 04-04-2020 at 07:59 AM.
Old 04-04-2020, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rembo View Post
LOL......and I just cleaned the darn keyboard last week,....now, what to do with my 3 7-08's and 280AI.....

Limit your hunting excursions to out of province. Or better yet, out of country. Less opportunity of running into folks you know and having to endure endless ridicule and laughter.
Old 04-04-2020, 09:28 PM

as a loader, due to projectiles like TTSX, or GMX I feel that I would be fine with just my 22-250 Rem.

Otherwise would be my 7RM(mind you im lazily trying to source an STW)
Old 04-04-2020, 10:59 PM
Banned

There's no better arse shootin 'caliber' than the 6.5 Grendel imo. Ask me how i know.

You biznitches be missin me?

Sup Homies
Old 04-04-2020, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270person View Post
Also not unlike lumping your 2 good looking dark haired kids in with the two red headed stepchildren you inherited in your second marriage. You might call it your "family" but you aren't kidding anybody. If the house is on fire with seconds to go, you're making sure the 2 darkhairs go out the window first.
OMG ......... I laughed so hard my wife came over to read this ..... LOL

A fire ........ who do you love most !!!!!! lol
Old 04-04-2020, 11:27 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roamer View Post
For me, I like short barrels, 20” is my max for the kind of hunting I do, and I prefer short actions. I like cartridge efficiency, especially from short barrel. I also shoot a decent amount each year, powder appetite must be manageable, magnums are out for me. For long days of target shooting, recoil is a factor, sorry 358 win. I’d have to say I’m a 308, and dare I say, 6.5 creedmoor guy. They are certainly not the best at any one thing, just excellent compromises of many things.
Well, have i got a cartridge for you.

How bout the trajectory, ballistic coefficient and section density of a .308 pushing 168's with 55 % less recoil?

Sounds pretty good doesn't it. You won't do more for 28 grains of powder, there's your efficiency king. 6.5 Grendel...you're welcome.

Ruger just announced the american ranch, should be a fun little end of the world bang stick. 36" long carbine, takes those 10 round 'AR' pistol mags legally and by all accounts so far should be sub-moa capable carbine that starts at 6.1 lbs. Future proofed with threaded barrel...should wisdom rule the roost one day and we can protect the world from noise pollution? Apocalypse defense, up to 400 on the big ones, up to 600 on the little ones, steel as far as you dare...all day long. Barrel life up the whazzoo.

Ya'll know my choice. Keep adding to the family, might have to sell one soon to make room for the one on the way.

Kid just bang flopped his first at 238 yards this past november with one as i transition to guide. I had the scope on a few but meh, season was made when that happened, still had a little moose left lol.

While i'm at it...pretty tough to argue with that .270 150 partition! Of the old world cartridges, that's my favorite also. Bit more focused on big game hunting only though. A combo that stands the test of time, was ahead of it's time.

Annnnd...270 Person...Hilarious!
Old 04-05-2020, 01:12 AM

308 Win for me. Hunting wise I have taken Whitetail, Mulies, Elk and Moose with it. I have also competed with the 308 and other calibers but always seem to gravitate back the to 308.
Old 04-05-2020, 01:27 AM

.270 Win-If it was good enough for Jack O'Connor, then it's good enough for me!
Old 04-05-2020, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leo View Post
Tough choice but I’m going to give my vote to Caliber 284. Specifically 280 Remington.
My choice as well!
Old 04-05-2020, 10:04 AM

It is a tough decision,
I have quite a few different ones but I have to admit .338 has been the one coming out of the safe most often. Cartridge is 338/06 in Model 70 Winchester.
Love what it does...

Old 04-05-2020, 10:52 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky Coyote View Post
There's no better arse shootin 'caliber' than the 6.5 Grendel imo. Ask me how i know.

You biznitches be missin me?

Sup Homies
lol yep
hope all is well
Old 04-05-2020, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky Coyote View Post
Well, have i got a cartridge for you.

How bout the trajectory, ballistic coefficient and section density of a .308 pushing 168's with 55 % less recoil?

Sounds pretty good doesn't it. You won't do more for 28 grains of powder, there's your efficiency king. 6.5 Grendel...you're welcome.

Ruger just announced the american ranch, should be a fun little end of the world bang stick. 36" long carbine, takes those 10 round 'AR' pistol mags legally and by all accounts so far should be sub-moa capable carbine that starts at 6.1 lbs. Future proofed with threaded barrel...should wisdom rule the roost one day and we can protect the world from noise pollution? Apocalypse defense, up to 400 on the big ones, up to 600 on the little ones, steel as far as you dare...all day long. Barrel life up the whazzoo.

Ya'll know my choice. Keep adding to the family, might have to sell one soon to make room for the one on the way.

Kid just bang flopped his first at 238 yards this past november with one as i transition to guide. I had the scope on a few but meh, season was made when that happened, still had a little moose left lol.

While i'm at it...pretty tough to argue with that .270 150 partition! Of the old world cartridges, that's my favorite also. Bit more focused on big game hunting only though. A combo that stands the test of time, was ahead of it's time.

Annnnd...270 Person...Hilarious!

Hey Stinky Coyote

I am very familiar with the 6.5 Grendel, a friend of mine has two, one is a SLR and the other a Howa Mini. I do see the appeal, but I own 3 6.5 creedmoors (who needs variety). One of which is a Ruger American predator that I am going to shorten the barrel down to 18.25, I won’t miss the threads I won’t use. If, as you and I both hope, we can one day run suppressors, I’ll have it threaded again.

I agree that Grendel is an efficient little cartridge, but there in lies the problem, it’s a little cartridge. It can’t do anything my 6.5 creeds downloaded won’t do, but can never match the potential of a full creed load. That is why I won’t be getting a Grendel, I handload and can make my creeds behave like a Grendel if I want to, can’t go the other way though.

Where the Grendel makes the absolute most sense to me is in the SLR or other AR15 pattern rifles. It is at home best in rifles made to fire 223 and makes them a viable big game hunting rifle. If Ruger made the mini 14 in 6.5 grendel I’d be looking to get my hands on one! But a rifle that has a full sized short action (sounds like an oxymoron, lol) is better off being chambered in a full short action cartridge. The Howa mini isn’t that much smaller than a regular short action, not enough for me to accept the losses that come with the chamberings (intermediate cartridges).

Now, down the rabbit hole we go.... why buy a creed when the PRC can be downloaded to creed levels but the creed not able to achieve PRC levels.... I know I know. And again, I do not believe the 6.5 creedmoor is the greatest cartridge ever, there are in fact countless better ones. I just feel it is an excellent balance of powder consumption, recoil, ability to take big game, barrel life, resistance to wind drift and availability. There are many better cartridges at any one, sometimes even multiple, of those criteria, but better at all of them, that’s a short list.

I’m not bashing the Grendel, just sharing my opinion.

Happy hunting
Old 04-05-2020, 04:19 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roamer View Post
Hey Stinky Coyote

I am very familiar with the 6.5 Grendel, a friend of mine has two, one is a SLR and the other a Howa Mini. I do see the appeal, but I own 3 6.5 creedmoors (who needs variety). One of which is a Ruger American predator that I am going to shorten the barrel down to 18.25, I won’t miss the threads I won’t use. If, as you and I both hope, we can one day run suppressors, I’ll have it threaded again.

I agree that Grendel is an efficient little cartridge, but there in lies the problem, it’s a little cartridge. It can’t do anything my 6.5 creeds downloaded won’t do, but can never match the potential of a full creed load. That is why I won’t be getting a Grendel, I handload and can make my creeds behave like a Grendel if I want to, can’t go the other way though.

Where the Grendel makes the absolute most sense to me is in the SLR or other AR15 pattern rifles. It is at home best in rifles made to fire 223 and makes them a viable big game hunting rifle. If Ruger made the mini 14 in 6.5 grendel I’d be looking to get my hands on one! But a rifle that has a full sized short action (sounds like an oxymoron, lol) is better off being chambered in a full short action cartridge. The Howa mini isn’t that much smaller than a regular short action, not enough for me to accept the losses that come with the chamberings (intermediate cartridges).

Now, down the rabbit hole we go.... why buy a creed when the PRC can be downloaded to creed levels but the creed not able to achieve PRC levels.... I know I know. And again, I do not believe the 6.5 creedmoor is the greatest cartridge ever, there are in fact countless better ones. I just feel it is an excellent balance of powder consumption, recoil, ability to take big game, barrel life, resistance to wind drift and availability. There are many better cartridges at any one, sometimes even multiple, of those criteria, but better at all of them, that’s a short list.

I’m not bashing the Grendel, just sharing my opinion.

Happy hunting
The rabbit holes are endless. Hear you. The creed, and the prc are over achievers, well any 6.5 is, and always have been. We just understand why now. Those long heavy for cal bullets with high bc's and or high sd's. For this thread though, and the needs of most for big game to 300 where 98% of stuff dies under that distance, and considering that few can likely even hold 1.5 moa in field conditions...taking you to maybe 5-600 max if you're set up well and practiced. Well...that's where the efficiency kicks in. Why burn more powder? The creed can smash deer 800+ and guys using the prc to 1200 etc. But for all the asks of a 'do all'...in my list is plinking, light recoil, barrel life king, defense carbine, killing coyotes and deer as far as my field accuracy will allow, killing occasional elk/moose to normal hunting distances, anyone in the family can shoot it well. The 6.5 G is the versatility king and swiss army knife of the cartridges avail. The creed is more like a leatherman, still pretty versatile but has some short comings in several areas...little too much gun.
Old 04-05-2020, 04:25 PM
Banned

Oh, looks like i still have the mouth on ignore. Sorry bud, all it shows is 'This user is on your ignore list.'
Old 04-05-2020, 05:18 PM

I looked into the grendel, and really like it. Too bad there arent much bolt action support for it. Especially in left hand and super short actions... so Im looking at a 6.5cm
Old 04-05-2020, 06:42 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry D View Post
I looked into the grendel, and really like it. Too bad there arent much bolt action support for it. Especially in left hand and super short actions... so Im looking at a 6.5cm
that is a bummer no doubt

howa
cz 527
ruger american predator
ruger american ranch (new - 16" threaded, 10 round)

the cartridge is deserving of better i agree, sako makes the xs action, would be lovely to see some sako's, or anything higher end giving some love to this little round, be a great one in an ultralight like a kimber montana variants etc.
Old 04-05-2020, 08:10 PM

Have to say .308 caliber. Most likely in the 300 wby i shoot now. If i'm forced to use 1 caliber for both ends of the spectrum then something in the middle would lead to the least amount of compromise.
Old 04-05-2020, 08:21 PM
Banned

I’m getting a barrel for my 338 lapua to make it a 300 Norma. I think it may be a great all around caliber/cartridge. Exceptional accuracy with the performance of a faster 30 cal. Should be dynamite on anything with 4 legs outside of dangerous game in africa
Old 04-08-2020, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redneck 7 View Post
I’d say a .308, can kill anything in North America, cheap to reload, cheap surplus, ammo is everywhere. Many great platforms are in .308 and you can even stretch its legs out to 1000 plus if you want.
Nailed it !
Old 04-10-2020, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quest206 View Post
X 2 For me
A Sako Grizzly .308 or Bavarian 6.5x55/.308 would be perfect. Lapua 6.5x55 brass can be loaded up to 30-40 times according to their manual. Lapua also loads 123gr .308 FMJ's for bird hunting (capercaillie, black grouse) and target shooting. You'd be surprised how many moose are killed with a 6.5x55 in Finland and Sweden. I also wonder why more people don't choose 6.5 Swede over Creedmoor, especially for one-size-for-all actions(Tikka, for example).

KorpiMakasiini.fi is a good channel to watch to see how they do it over there. I'm especially jealous they have suppressors.
Old 04-16-2020, 12:21 PM

Default .30-06 w/ Speer 200gr SP

I use a Win M70 Super Grade in .30-06 handloaded with Speer 200gr SP.
I am a heavy for caliber fan and find that the Speer 200gr SP let me hunt anything in NA. JMTC
Old 04-17-2020, 02:05 PM

Default Forgot one!

Ok, you are all pretty. Stop fighting.
Do I have to be the guy of reason here? 9mm folks!
It will also kill anything in north america-just be good enough to get close!
It is fun as heck. Recoil that even my 8yr old enjoys. You can carry a lot of it and store way more. Plenty of energy on reactive targets. Good variety of bullet sizes and performances. Cheap, available and used by governments everywhere. Higher capacity mags when using a compatible rifle/pistol combo.
Old 04-17-2020, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redneck 7 View Post
I’d say a .308, can kill anything in North America, cheap to reload, cheap surplus, ammo is everywhere. Many great platforms are in .308 and you can even stretch its legs out to 1000 plus if you want.
I got my 308 savage as a 16th bday gift. Dads step brother hunted with it for years before it became mine. I'm 52 and it is the only rifle I have owned. Taken plenty of deer and moose, 1 elk. Light to carry, very minimal recoil and has a magazine. It really is a perfect gun for me. Can free hand it so well. Kid took his 54 inch moose with it in 2017. 1-180gr through the lungs, second one through the neck which dropped it on the spot.

Over the years I have wanted a bigger caliber to reach out a bit further or more knock down power but have never made the switch. Now that my dad has quit hunting, I will take over his 30 06, put a much better scope on it and use it from time to time.
Old 04-18-2020, 10:46 AM

If choosing only one, it would be the entire combination of cartridge, platform and optic. After owning and building way too many rifles, my main rifle is a Sako 85 Finnlight, 270WSM, topped with a Swarovski Z3 3-10X42 BRX launching 140 and 150 grain loads. Light enough to be a pleasure to carry, heavy enough to be a pleasure to shoot, phenomenal accuracy with anything I run through the barrel, and a fast and flat shooting cartridge that has the reach and thump to take on any game species. I find it amazing that after using extreme lightweights, long range rigs, tactical rifles, custom builds, and spending way too much money over the years, that my mainstay came straight off the shelf.
Old 04-18-2020, 12:47 PM

A 300magnum is pretty hard to beat .
I don't shoot much targets anymore.
If I was younger and limited to one rifle for elk to gophers. Well it would probabally be a 30/06.
The /06 is almost as good as a 300 magnum, but it really has it over on the magnums when it comes to cast bullets. Years ago for Penny's you could put thousands of rounds through your gun and never wear out your rifle either. You can get 5 shot 2" groups at two hundred yards without much difficulty and thats just with a normal off the shelf used rifle that any working guy could afford.
With cast bullets you can afford to and have fun practising shooting silhouettes way beyond 22 rimfire distances. Use the jacketed bullets for the bigger game.
Seems like people don't cast bullets much anymore I'm not sure why?
Most of these modern cartridges that you guys are talking about I'm not familiar with. To me a 30/06 or a 300 magnum feels like a ray gun from star wars compared to what I'm used to using.
Old 06-07-2020, 03:05 PM

3006 for the versatility, ease of procuring ammo, and for myself - the history. Grandpa used it, dad used it, it's what I learned to shoot with. I can shoot 'better' in some situations with other calibers but I feel like stretching out the 3006 is a learning experience every time which makes me a better shooter overall.
Old 06-07-2020, 05:03 PM

Gotta be 30 30win. Don't have something else and can't afford it haha.

Crazy answer .177 airgun. Grew up shooting airguns love my old daisy winchester would love a new daystate. Cheap simple and fun