Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 03-08-2022, 01:16 PM

Default Pheasant Release Sites

Hi, I am fairly new to Pheasant hunting. Four years in. I have been on a few hunts in Southern Alberta, but have not had not much luck in finding many birds. As I understand our primary problem in Alberta, it is the lack of (or more appropriately, loss of) good habitat, among other things such as drought, etc.

I am wondering what everyone's experience has been with hunting Alberta Conservation's Pheasant Release sites. Are these an enjoyable experience for hunter and dog?

My concern is whether these sites are overly crowded, given the amount of hunters and the overall lack of opportunity to hunt wild birds. If it is a fun experience, hunting these areas would appear to be a decent way to get some pheasant hunting experience in, both for me and a new hunting dog.

Welcome any comments.
Old 03-08-2022, 01:38 PM

It depends on which release sites, and when you go out. The northern sites are not usually crowded, except on weekends and holidays.
Old 03-08-2022, 01:42 PM

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/searc...18636408&pp=25

"The problem was this little thing called the government and laws."
Old 03-08-2022, 02:40 PM

Welcome to AO!

I think they get a bad rap on this forum. They are what they are... a cheap opportunity to chase after ringneck pheasants. Why people complain about that is beyond me. If you arrive when the bird truck does, or shortly thereafter, you will likely get your birds, and you may see some unsafe behavior involving guns. Maybe. I personally have never felt unsafe, but I know others have.

I have been fortunate, but I know of three people that were peppered with shot; two members of AO, and one ex-wife of an AO member

If you arrive the day after a release, even with decent dogs, you may have to work your tail off to get your birds. Two days after and it is most often tough slogging.

A dog always helps, but not everyone has a hunting dog, so don't let that stop you. You likely won't get as many birds - maybe none at all - but you still got out hunting which is better than being at work any day.

Best of luck, and be sure to let us know how you make out!
Old 03-08-2022, 04:06 PM

Welcome to AO, lots of great hunting in the release sites down south. The ones close to cities tend to get hunted harder, especially on weekends. Those a little further away offer great hunting, especially after weekends. You will most likely have the place to yourself and the birds are not quite so easy. Great places to work dogs.

Thomas Sowell
Old 03-08-2022, 04:50 PM

Personally, if I show up when the release truck is present, I head away from where it is releasing birds, both for everyone's safety, and so we are not limited out in a few minutes . Typically, some freshly released birds may be found in the open fields near the release area, but it doesn't take long before most birds are driven into the heavier cover, which at the sites in my area, is bush, or cattails. If you show up the day of a release, and you have a good dog, a couple of limits usually doesn't take more than an hour or so, but by the next day, you can expect to spend an hour or two hunting the heavy cover, to find a few birds. By the second day after a release, you can hunt hard for a couple of hours, and be lucky to find a bird or two. If you don't have a dog, you can still get lucky if you show up soon after a release, but after a day or two, it's typical to not find any birds without a dog.
As for releases, they occur on random days, and sometimes at different times of day as well, and that has done a lot to prevent certain people from sitting around waiting for the truck to show up, as used to happen several years ago. Typically, there are three releases per week at the major sites, and one release per week at some smaller sites.
Old 03-08-2022, 07:30 PM

The aca site by Langdon is a gong show on weekend, I usually go during the week alot less people out then,
As for safety, well there can be idiots with guns and don't watch where they are shooting or pointing their guns

But in all its a quick ride from town and nice to get a couple of hrs out for a walk if you get a bird that's a bonus 😀
Old 03-08-2022, 08:26 PM

Watch your shots mainly. Just making sure your away from other people and the road. Honestly when I went there was room for more people. Might be better to go weekdays or be there at first light to kind of “claim an area” so to say.
Old 03-09-2022, 09:27 AM

Just for record you can have a 'Dog' or a 'Hunting Dog" Some dogs will never find a pheasant and this applies to All breeds. Your dog has to have a good hunting nose and be keen. If his head is always in the air and all he smells is other dogs pee and poop might as well go home. Although some dogs just tearing around like a fool will lift some birds, but they will usually be out of range.
Old 03-10-2022, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post
Welcome to AO, lots of great hunting in the release sites down south. The ones close to cities tend to get hunted harder, especially on weekends. Those a little further away offer great hunting, especially after weekends. You will most likely have the place to yourself and the birds are not quite so easy. Great places to work dogs.
I am with pikergolf on this. I hunted 9 different release sites last year. The sites close to a big city had quite a bit of pressure even during the week. Perhaps this will change a bit this year with working from home due to COVID winding down.

I found the southern sites to be very enjoyable, much different cover from site to site and the dog work was more in the open. Some of these sites are quite large and it is easy to get away from people, have an enjoyable day and still find birds.
Old 03-10-2022, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Grey Wolf View Post
Just for record you can have a 'Dog' or a 'Hunting Dog" Some dogs will never find a pheasant and this applies to All breeds. Your dog has to have a good hunting nose and be keen. If his head is always in the air and all he smells is other dogs pee and poop might as well go home. Although some dogs just tearing around like a fool will lift some birds, but they will usually be out of range.
And you will see all kinds at release sites, some excellent dogs, and some running wild, chasing everything in sight. I see one dark GWP wearing a bell, that runs around on it's own, while the owner blows a whistle constantly, even though his dog ignores him. I also see a group of three German shepherds that are running around flushing birds well out of range. And then there are several people that I know, that have excellent dogs.
Old 03-16-2022, 04:42 AM

Default caned pheasant hunt

Depends on your expectations. Release sites are exactly that put and take birds with shared access with other hunters. You will find as stated in other posts closer you are to the large cities the more demand on the sites. I haven't hunted the release sites for 20-25yrs. If you want to avoid the crowds besides going further south I would avoid weekends especially holiday weekends. There is still some wild bird hunting and release birds on private land through out the far south but it requires asking permission and lots of walking to get into them. Remember successful pheasant hunting doesn't always mean you have a pheasant in the bag...... good luck.
Old 03-16-2022, 09:46 AM

I have hunted 8 or 9 of the release sites with my lab. More times than not we put up birds. Both my dog and I wear blaze to help us stand out. If I see another party or get within a couple hundred yards, I go the other direction. I enjoy the opportunity and I try to make the most of it. I have put up grey partridge and sharpies also when at release sites.
Old 03-16-2022, 10:43 AM

Way too much opportunity for wild birds in this province to worry about release sites. That being said I think they are an excellent resource for those with limited time or far from wild birds in the south. Try them out during a weekday or one of the ones far from big cities.