Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 09-20-2014, 10:49 PM

Just WOW. I agree with potential issues of what informal impressions the hunter may have given, legal or illegal, however to criticize someone for travelling out of their "local" area somewhere else to hunt a species they may not have available at "home" is brutal. Urban living Alberta Residents are not allowed to hunt in the Rural areas (what a concept). Additionally I hope that you have no intentions of hunting antelope (game that you do not have in the north) in the "south" for you may be the "clown" someday,...

I hunted Saddle Hills last year on Opening week and ran into a camp of locals (GP residents - local enough for me) who were more than helpful in providing pointers on how to hunt elk successfully. Met a couple more hunters to a total of 8 in the 7 days I hunted. Beautiful country, friendly people, bountiful game. I was supposed to be there this year too, but plans changed. Glad I wasn't a contributor to your pains this year.
Old 09-20-2014, 11:08 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by albertadeer View Post
Well saddle hills is full of clowns again. Ran into a guy last night sitting on his sled deck resting his gun on the roof waiting for animals to cross the road.... I asked if he was disabled? He said no, I informed him its illegal and I drove past him and hunted down the road he was shooting down.... But I am kind of thankful those people are on the road not in the bush...

He was from Edmonton.... Lol
Quote:
The Edmonton thing really is no big deal. I got a few buds from Edmonton that are up here right now. They are good respectable people

And I asked him if he minded if I drove to the end of the road and hunted it wasn't a one way road either. Lol, someone could have came in from the other end. And he was breaking the law, I thought he might have had a disability, nope.

The whole edmonton thing has to do with the % of hunters up here being from Edmonton or south. There's nothing I can do about it and im quite fine with it but its absolutely amazing how many hunters come up here nowadays! Our trapping cabin is used every fall by random groups " kicked 4 guys out last night" hahaha "from Stoney plain"
Quote:
I was really close to telling him to get his stuff and come with me, I love taking people out and helping them but he gave me attitude when I mentioned its illegal to rest your gun on the truck...

I will be camped up there for a week starting tomorrow. I will make sure I keep you guys updated on the lovely things I witness
Quote:
Originally Posted by OspakP View Post
As a group of respectful, law abiding outdoors people, why would we want to give slob hunters the benefit of the doubt? He was in the back of his parked truck using the roof as a rifle rest. Slob hunter by my definition!
Quote:
Obviously there's some from both... But when over 50% of the hunters up here are from " out of town" then it's just mathematics. I have nothing against people hunting up here. But do it right and respectfully! Simple...
Quote:
I was really confused at first. I thought target practice? Maybe someone's pushing bush? Nope. Just "hunting". I talked to him a bit. Seemed normal.... First time I've seen someone set up like that. Lots of local window shooters that park on pipelines out here. Not so many chair on roof guys though. Hahaha
Quote:
Must have been you....... Nothing is illegal about shooting down roads... But Resting on trucks is... But with a disabled discharge permit its allowed! Know the rules before you spew your mouth bud. So it's not irrelevant to ask!

I didn't think so many of you would stand up for someone hunting like this?

And yea I am camped out here, I own land 25km away, my family has been in the area for 100yrs.... So I would say I'm local.... Giver your head a shake you fool
Quote:
Pretty unreal. Lol. I'm a really easy going guy, maybe to easy going.
Quote:
Originally Posted by happy honker View Post
HA HA! I love how every thread on here degenerates into an argument...too funny.

btw, I live in Edmonton...I wear sweat pants because there comfortable, I breath through my mouth because the air here is so dry my nose is always stuffed up...I blink lots cause I lost my white rimmed sunglasses leaning out the truck window looking at tracks...AND shooting from a vehicle is fine as long as you use a pool noodle, because then the rifle is TECHNICALLY not touching the truck!
Also...everyone knows you don't scratch the paint that way.
I know because I have coffee with a CO every morning and I'm a LAWER by trade.

All kidding aside...sometimes it's better just to shake your head and drive on. Also, get as far off the roads as you can!

My late season deer hunting is in an area just like this, and later in the season guys seem even more desperate to fill their tags. So we can't get off the road fast enough.

have fun and be safe guys.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sooner View Post
Happens in every wmu i suspect, Just curious Alta Deer, what Wmu? You don't have to say.
Quote:
Up in saddle hills, 358. Lots of elk coupled with a early rife opener during elk rut makes for a busy first two weeks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrzej View Post
Nothing illegal about what he was doing unless his gun was loaded.
Quote:
Ya I didn't mean to cause AO chaos. I pulled up and was polite every step of the way. I was confused, so I asked if he was hunting. He said yes, I asked if someone was pushing bush "no" I asked if he was waiting on someone "no" I asked if he was disabled (in a non offensive way) he said "no" I then informed him that even a loaded gun touching a truck is illegal. He agreed and said he could care less.... I then asked if he minded If I hunted further down the road, he said it was alright... So, I hunted.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hal53 View Post
Over the years I have lived in the major cities in Alberta, small towns and in the country on my own property.I have hunted pretty much the length and breadth of the province, Trust me, no one group has the market cornered on slob hunters....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunezilla View Post
There will be 5ft of snow by then & you won't be able to get around. lol
Quote:
You are correct, I shouldn't have put in the "Edmonton" part. My mistake.
Quote:
Originally Posted by OspakP View Post
A person who consistently breaks the rules, or their behavior would lead you to believe they would if given the opportunity.

Example 1- I have permission on 2 pcs. of PRIVATE land that borders crown- occupied lands, two separate quarters that are fully fenced and properly posted. Every year I catch multiple trespassers/poachers that claim they didnt realize it was private, didn't see any sign, didn't cross a fence, etc, etc, etc.. Sad part is I have caught many that are toting their children with them. These are slob hunters and they are bringing up another generation of slob hunters!

Example 2- One of these quarters has a road along part of it- Every year there is evidence of deer being killed in the field, not by me or the landowner. This road gets heavily cruised during hunting season, yes they are not breaking the law, but we all know what they will do if given the opportunity.

I hunt this property 7-14 days a year for the past 2 decades, sadly the trespassing is getting worse every year. So ya, I have lots of encounters with slob hunters, actually they are not hunters, poachers in my mind!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Boone View Post
I hunt the saddle hills every year opening week except this year.
Working, sure am missing it.
The boys went 2 for 2 opening day and the next.

As with every other year, did not see another hunter or truck close to where the animals were harvested.
Think outside the box folks, it can be great up there!
Quote:
I call bullchit
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Boone View Post
You call bullchit?
Seriously?
Get a life
Quote:
I'm kidding, hence the

I got a life.... It's hunting in saddle hills. Hahahaha. If you hunt there that much, we've probably waved to each other on the road or in the woods....
Quote:
You can shoot on or along any unmaintained roadway that is held under a surfce disposition act..... Doesn't matter if your gay or straight....

And disabled permit I was told allows you to rest your rifle or crossbow on a vehicle.... I think it's more towards ATVs

Why are you sticking up for someone hunting like that? Is that your "style" lol
Seriously get your facts straight before you pull my hair...
Quote:
Originally Posted by pickrel pat View Post
Yep. That's been my experience as well. A lot of "local country boys" with the mentality of " I know most people around these parts.... I don't think they would care if I was on their land" attitude. Definable works both ways.
Quote:
I know very well about the crap that locals pull. Though sometimes the grass is greener on one side of the fence. There's always crap on both sides
I can’t remember, which might explain why I live in a bunker.

Oh wrong thread.

In Alberta if you do not draw you go to general.

In time your area will be draw.

I keep looking and happy I still can.

Back to the bunker, or troll bridge.

Rest.

I am a troll.
Old 09-20-2014, 11:27 PM

Gotta love Saturday night posts...
Old 09-21-2014, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain Guy View Post
Gotta love Saturday night posts...
Hi. Single white/black/brown/red/male here.