Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 09-19-2014, 10:51 AM
Banned

Default They're here!!!

Well saddle hills is full of clowns again. Ran into a guy last night sitting on his sled deck resting his gun on the roof waiting for animals to cross the road.... I asked if he was disabled? He said no, I informed him its illegal and I drove past him and hunted down the road he was shooting down.... But I am kind of thankful those people are on the road not in the bush...

He was from Edmonton.... Lol
Old 09-19-2014, 10:52 AM
Banned

Why the conclusion he was from Edmonton? Was he wearing sweat pants and breathing through his mouth? LOL!
Old 09-19-2014, 10:56 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by OspakP View Post
Why the conclusion he was from Edmonton? Was he wearing sweat pants and breathing through his mouth? LOL!
Cause I asked him. He was in full camo, with a bugle and a can of elk pee right beside him...
Old 09-19-2014, 10:58 AM
Banned

Ah yes- the road hunters wearing their full camo outfits. LOL!
Old 09-19-2014, 11:07 AM

Quote:
HAAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAAA...And blinking alot, almost like he wasn't hearing English.
Old 09-19-2014, 11:09 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

They are here too, only going to get worse before better, than it's Christmas and most have dissipated back to Edmonton....

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 09-19-2014, 11:10 AM

Default Rediculous

Absolutely, there are slob hunters everywhere, but I am not sure what him being from Edmonton has to do. I am from Edmonton...is the assumption that I hunt like that too?

With that said, that guy will likely say he we hunting and some guy in a truck blew by him and hunted the path he was looking down. There are always 2 sides to a story.

Lets all remember that without all the facts we are left to our perceptions and assumptions. There are several different situations this person could have been involved in.

At the end of the day, unless illegal, each person should be entitled to enjoy the outdoors in their own way without judgement!

Morb
Old 09-19-2014, 11:17 AM

Well Said!!!
Old 09-19-2014, 11:18 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morbius131 View Post
Absolutely, there are slob hunters everywhere, but I am not sure what him being from Edmonton has to do. I am from Edmonton...is the assumption that I hunt like that too?

With that said, that guy will likely say he we hunting and some guy in a truck blew by him and hunted the path he was looking down. There are always 2 sides to a story.

Lets all remember that without all the facts we are left to our perceptions and assumptions. There are several different situations this person could have been involved in.

At the end of the day, unless illegal, each person should be entitled to enjoy the outdoors in their own way without judgement!

Morb
The Edmonton thing really is no big deal. I got a few buds from Edmonton that are up here right now. They are good respectable people

And I asked him if he minded if I drove to the end of the road and hunted it wasn't a one way road either. Lol, someone could have came in from the other end. And he was breaking the law, I thought he might have had a disability, nope.

The whole edmonton thing has to do with the % of hunters up here being from Edmonton or south. There's nothing I can do about it and im quite fine with it but its absolutely amazing how many hunters come up here nowadays! Our trapping cabin is used every fall by random groups " kicked 4 guys out last night" hahaha "from Stoney plain"
Old 09-19-2014, 11:19 AM

We aren't going to the Spirit River area until the late season this year. As much as I enjoy hunting elk in the rut, the crowds have become ridiculous, and with the crowds come the people like the one that the OP is referring to.
Old 09-19-2014, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morbius131 View Post

Morb
It s brutal that there are generalizations like that. Maybe the guy was scoping bushline from the roof? Just because he was resting his firearm doesn't mean he was ready to shoot. mind you, its still illegal :P

Last weekend I had a guy roll up to me as I was walking out of a field that my dog just retrieved two ducks from. He asked me if I had seen an arrowed mule deer run by. I said no and asked where he was from, he responded sedgewick, so he was a 'local'. I then asked if he had permission, he said yep...I introduced myself as the landowner. moral of the story....in my experience there are more 'slobs' on the local side, as opposed to the travelling huntsman side.
Old 09-19-2014, 11:20 AM
Banned

I was really close to telling him to get his stuff and come with me, I love taking people out and helping them but he gave me attitude when I mentioned its illegal to rest your gun on the truck...

I will be camped up there for a week starting tomorrow. I will make sure I keep you guys updated on the lovely things I witness
Old 09-19-2014, 11:27 AM
Banned

As a group of respectful, law abiding outdoors people, why would we want to give slob hunters the benefit of the doubt? He was in the back of his parked truck using the roof as a rifle rest. Slob hunter by my definition!
Old 09-19-2014, 11:31 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildside2014 View Post
It s brutal that there are generalizations like that. Maybe the guy was scoping bushline from the roof? Just because he was resting his firearm doesn't mean he was ready to shoot. mind you, its still illegal :P

Last weekend I had a guy roll up to me as I was walking out of a field that my dog just retrieved two ducks from. He asked me if I had seen an arrowed mule deer run by. I said no and asked where he was from, he responded sedgewick, so he was a 'local'. I then asked if he had permission, he said yep...I introduced myself as the landowner. moral of the story....in my experience there are more 'slobs' on the local side, as opposed to the travelling huntsman side.
Obviously there's some from both... But when over 50% of the hunters up here are from " out of town" then it's just mathematics. I have nothing against people hunting up here. But do it right and respectfully! Simple...
Old 09-19-2014, 11:35 AM
Banned

Maybe he is suffering PTSD and he thinks he is sitting on a .50 BMG atop a APC in Iraq , ?
give the guy a break
Old 09-19-2014, 11:40 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkdump View Post
Maybe he is suffering PTSD and he thinks he is sitting on a .50 BMG atop a APC in Iraq , ?
give the guy a break
I was really confused at first. I thought target practice? Maybe someone's pushing bush? Nope. Just "hunting". I talked to him a bit. Seemed normal.... First time I've seen someone set up like that. Lots of local window shooters that park on pipelines out here. Not so many chair on roof guys though. Hahaha
Old 09-19-2014, 11:49 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by albertadeer View Post
I was really confused at first. I thought target practice? Maybe someone's pushing bush? Nope. Just "hunting". I talked to him a bit. Seemed normal.... First time I've seen someone set up like that. Lots of local window shooters that park on pipelines out here. Not so many chair on roof guys though. Hahaha
In the 1970's we used a restored 8000 pound WW2 Bren Gun carrier for hunting moose in Northern Saskatchewan during winter hunts when the muskeg was frozen,,,

I strongly support the " to each his own creed"
Old 09-19-2014, 11:54 AM

We saw one particular fellow Northwest of Spirit River every year. He had a camper on his truck to sleep in, and he towed a trailer with his ATV and gear. He picked a new road every day, and sat there all day on a cutline or pipeline crossing. I have no proof that his rifle was loaded, but he went so far as to have a rifle rest setup, built onto his trailer. He could sit on the trailer and pivot the rest either way. There was no handicap card on his mirror, and he seemed to walk just fine when he walked over to talk to us. After talking to him for a bit, I actually felt safer around him, than around some of the other people in the area, especially the clown who made a habit of using his riflescope to check out other hunters.
Old 09-19-2014, 12:32 PM

yeah, this is the time of the year I wish gas would be 5$ per litter
Old 09-19-2014, 12:44 PM

We are headed up here for the last time I think at the end of the month. It's my buddies dad's last trip up with us so he drew his cow elk and bull moose tags. Lots of crowds now and after this trip at the end of the month (hopefully less people) we might not be coming back anymore. Hopefully he can retire his saddle hills career with a few animals, but we'll see.

Best of luck to everyone.
Old 09-19-2014, 12:46 PM

Quote:
I was really close to telling him to get his stuff and come with me, I love taking people out and helping them but he gave me attitude when I mentioned its illegal to rest your gun on the truck...

I will be camped up there for a week starting tomorrow. I will make sure I keep you guys updated on the lovely things I witness
Oh your camped out there? Your not a ''local''? Where are you from?
Also, not sure what the disabled comments are about. Pretty sure being disabled doesn't give you the right to shoot down the road.
I would probably feel some attitude if someone asked me if I was disabled...which is irrelevant. I would question who broke out the attitude first
Old 09-19-2014, 01:14 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain Guy View Post
Oh your camped out there? Your not a ''local''? Where are you from?
Also, not sure what the disabled comments are about. Pretty sure being disabled doesn't give you the right to shoot down the road.
I would probably feel some attitude if someone asked me if I was disabled...which is irrelevant. I would question who broke out the attitude first
Must have been you....... Nothing is illegal about shooting down roads... But Resting on trucks is... But with a disabled discharge permit its allowed! Know the rules before you spew your mouth bud. So it's not irrelevant to ask!

I didn't think so many of you would stand up for someone hunting like this?

And yea I am camped out here, I own land 25km away, my family has been in the area for 100yrs.... So I would say I'm local.... Giver your head a shake you fool
Old 09-19-2014, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Must have been you....... Nothing is illegal about shooting down roads... But Resting on trucks is... But with a disabled discharge permit its allowed! Know the rules before you spew your mouth bud. So it's not irrelevant to ask!

I didn't think so many of you would stand up for someone hunting like this?

And yea I am camped out here, I own land 25km away, my family has been in the area for 100yrs.... So I would say I'm local.... Giver your head a shake you fool
Thanks. Now I"m pretty sure who gave who the attitude.
Cheers.
Old 09-19-2014, 01:36 PM

Quote:
The Edmonton thing really is no big deal. I got a few buds from Edmonton that are up here right now. They are good respectable people

And I asked him if he minded if I drove to the end of the road and hunted it wasn't a one way road either. Lol, someone could have came in from the other end. And he was breaking the law, I thought he might have had a disability, nope.

The whole edmonton thing has to do with the % of hunters up here being from Edmonton or south. There's nothing I can do about it and im quite fine with it but its absolutely amazing how many hunters come up here nowadays! Our trapping cabin is used every fall by random groups " kicked 4 guys out last night" hahaha "from Stoney plain"
You're far more understanding then I am Jon, I would have lost my **** if somebody was "using" my cabin up there. This ****es me off to no end.
Old 09-19-2014, 02:25 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torkdiesel View Post
You're far more understanding then I am Jon, I would have lost my **** if somebody was "using" my cabin up there. This ****es me off to no end.
Pretty unreal. Lol. I'm a really easy going guy, maybe to easy going.
Old 09-19-2014, 02:49 PM

HA HA! I love how every thread on here degenerates into an argument...too funny.

btw, I live in Edmonton...I wear sweat pants because there comfortable, I breath through my mouth because the air here is so dry my nose is always stuffed up...I blink lots cause I lost my white rimmed sunglasses leaning out the truck window looking at tracks...AND shooting from a vehicle is fine as long as you use a pool noodle, because then the rifle is TECHNICALLY not touching the truck!
Also...everyone knows you don't scratch the paint that way.
I know because I have coffee with a CO every morning and I'm a LAWER by trade.

All kidding aside...sometimes it's better just to shake your head and drive on. Also, get as far off the roads as you can!

My late season deer hunting is in an area just like this, and later in the season guys seem even more desperate to fill their tags. So we can't get off the road fast enough.

have fun and be safe guys.
Old 09-19-2014, 03:07 PM

Happens in every wmu i suspect, Just curious Alta Deer, what Wmu? You don't have to say.
Old 09-19-2014, 03:20 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sooner View Post
Happens in every wmu i suspect, Just curious Alta Deer, what Wmu? You don't have to say.
Up in saddle hills, 358. Lots of elk coupled with a early rife opener during elk rut makes for a busy first two weeks.
Old 09-19-2014, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Ah yes- the road hunters wearing their full camo outfits. LOL!
These guys will be seen popping into the Thorncliffe Gun Show tomorrow morning for a look around, have a loaded burger or two, a 1/2 dozen cigars in their truck then back to hunting that evening hunt......hahahahaah

Those bubba's are funny! But not so funny especially when you are stuck behind one at the show that hasn't bathed in a week or two.....

We have two lives: The life we learn with and the life we live with after that.
Old 09-19-2014, 04:14 PM

Default Seriously

I am amazed how judgmental some of us are and how quickly we jump to conclusions. In this case, the OP spoke to the individual and got additional information, kudos for that.

With that said, I have been on the opposite side of things. I have been in a situation where a couple of high on their horse hunters felt it was their duty to lecture me on the right and wrong way to hunt. They apparently thought that I was hunting when they saw me sitting on my tailgate eating lunch. At the end of the day cooler minds prevailed but it could have easily escalated.

We are all out there to enjoy ourselves, lets deal with each other as such.

Morb