Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 09-17-2014, 05:52 AM

Default Antelope populations in the south

I've been out 3 times now and have noticed that the population is down in 106,104,112 from 2 years ago from when my son had a tag. At that time there was 40 tags this year there is 135. My thoughts are that there should have been 35 tags not 135.
Old 09-17-2014, 12:33 PM
Gone Hunting

Hahaha! Someone thats not drinking the srd coolaid, could it possibly be! No man your not blind. Our antelope are not doing well, and contrary to what srd, thier blind followers and Wes David and his comedy act AO article have to say about antelope and mule deer in this province, its a bad situation. For anyone that read that article,,, what ever you wanna call that,,, lol, """please do not make every attempt possible to kill en mass these animals as suggested, you will be doing us a great disservice"""....

It's just Alberta boys... Take what you can while you can,, if ya cant beat em join em.

Keep a strain on er
Old 09-17-2014, 08:30 PM

Speaking of 106, how are the mule deer numbers ? I was planning on going mule deer hunting down there for archery but just want to know if it's worth it ?
8mm Rem Mag 160 Grain Barnes TTSX 3360!
Old 09-17-2014, 09:33 PM

Heading out in just over a month. Really looking forward to it because we are going out with my team and wagon onto the prairie to travel and camp in!! Maybe it will just be a convenient way to haul beer, food and our sleeping bags but I can guarantee it will be a hunt very few ever get to experience and that's all I really care about.........the experience!!!! Happy hunting to all and good luck.
Old 09-17-2014, 09:44 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpineguy View Post
Heading out in just over a month. Really looking forward to it because we are going out with my team and wagon onto the prairie to travel and camp in!! Maybe it will just be a convenient way to haul beer, food and our sleeping bags but I can guarantee it will be a hunt very few ever get to experience and that's all I really care about.........the experience!!!! Happy hunting to all and good luck.
Awesome!!!!!!!...that would be one heckuva an auction or raffle!!!!!!
Old 09-17-2014, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hal53 View Post
Awesome!!!!!!!...that would be one heckuva an auction or raffle!!!!!!
Agreed.
Old 09-17-2014, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpineguy View Post
I'd be willing to fork out a little coin to hunt like that. If I were you I'd do some thinking on marketing that. I don't think it's a million dollar idea but would be a neat little hobby and you'd get to meet some like minded folks.
Old 09-17-2014, 10:25 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowtown guy View Post
I'd be willing to fork out a little coin to hunt like that. If I were you I'd do some thinking on marketing that. I don't think it's a million dollar idea but would be a neat little hobby and you'd get to meet some like minded folks.
true, I would pay some decent dollars for an Antelope trip like that.....
Old 09-17-2014, 10:26 PM

Lol start a new thread guys you just took the wind out of everybody's sails that are looking for real answers to southern ab miss management and any opportunity available with O scouting and goin on a whim because most guys that are drawn are from central ab north lol but thanks for throwin in your davey crocket dreams and searching the new frontier
Old 09-17-2014, 10:38 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secret coulee View Post
Lol start a new thread guys you just took the wind out of everybody's sails that are looking for real answers to southern ab miss management and any opportunity available with O scouting and goin on a whim because most guys that are drawn are from central ab north lol but thanks for throwin in your davey crocket dreams and searching the new frontier
thanks for your awesome reply, as usual, guess you missed the part about an adventure?, maybe start your own thread about your on going issues with boys from the central/north coming down to shoot "your " game?
Old 09-17-2014, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hal53 View Post
thanks for your awesome reply, as usual, guess you missed the part about an adventure?, maybe start your own thread about your on going issues with boys from the central/north coming down to shoot "your " game?
Haha Hal thanks for comin out mabey bring sompthin to the OP lol mabey sompthing that is related to his original post it's kinda like input or somebody that can answer his questions that's why he started his own post Hal because he has specific questions for his individual circumstance lol go away you little troll you imbarase you're self to easily lol
Old 09-18-2014, 05:56 AM

This forum has fallen apart please only comment about my thread. If I wouldn't to know about a team I would have asked.
Old 09-18-2014, 06:31 AM

Antelope numbers here close to the Montana border seem to be up significantly compared to last 4-5 years . Seeing a decent number of fawn and animals in places they haven't frequented in past 10 . Not a total comeback by any means but looks promising . Still looking for a buck for you WB ..
Old 09-18-2014, 08:50 AM

Came up to Elkwater from Havre last month late afternoon/early evening and was pleased with the large numbers of antelope we passed in 102/118
I last hunted archery trophy antelope there in 2008 and we were both successful, but it was tough hunting.

Last edited by omega50; 09-18-2014 at 09:00 AM.
Old 09-18-2014, 09:15 AM
Banned

The actual numbers do not seem as good as they were before 2010... But, there certainly are some very nice trophy's running the girls these days..

All the best to those who got drawn..
Old 09-18-2014, 09:32 AM

What priority does a guy need now? Does priority get higher the further south a guy goes?
Old 09-18-2014, 10:07 AM

The last time I hunted antelope was 2008 at mannyberries. The antelope population was really good at tthat time and our party all shot mature antelope bucks. This year after 11 year priority wait i drew an archery tag up in the suffield area. There are antelope but the trophy quality is way down . Lots of young buck and does with fawns. I wish we could all learn something from our Saskatchewan cousins and close the season for a couple of years or like them for hte last 4. Once the population gets to where it should be they will open it up and the trophy quality will be there. Thoughts?
Old 09-18-2014, 03:02 PM

At the risk of offending the OP by extending this tangent on his thread...

I agree that more management of antelope in Alberta is needed. A good start would be closing the season to all non-residents. Having Albertans wait 10+ years while some non-residents hunt them with outfitters every year just isn't right.

Just tell the outfitters that they can use the tags they already hold, but after that, no more. Antelope are at the northern periphery of their range here and too many
unforeseeable factors can severely affect their numbers to permit assigning specific numbers of tags much in advance of the season.
Old 09-18-2014, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secret coulee View Post
lol go away you little troll you imbarase you're self to easily lol
Yup. I'm sure he can't compete with this^.

To the OP. You didn't ask a question. You essentially ended your own thread with your statement.

Alpine guy stated he was heading down in a month. Relevant to your post. He simply stated how he is going to go about it. I feel that his way of doing things will be beneficial. He will be out where they live. Not driving the roads. I think this is a great way to do the hunt. So relevance to the thread? Absolutely.

This is how discussions get started and threads evolve and grow into cool and interesting ways to go about finding game other than the ways that you may be doing. Just perhaps by getting off the grids you may see more.

FWIW I think that the outfitters need to be scrapped for goats. There isn't enough for us so why should there be enough for non-residents? Guys like bobble head Taylor Wright come here from Ontariariario every year and tell us how great it is and kiss Billy Franklin's hind end. I think that until the numbers come back to where they should be, tags should reflect a harvest that will allow the goats to repopulate to carrying capacity. How long isn't for me to answer. I will not proclaim to be an expert. I know that every time I head out there I see them. Without fail. I also know that 5 years ago I saw many more than I am seeing now.

Where do we go from here is the question. We rely on the bio's to give us the answers as they are the "trained professionals". The big question is do they ever get out of the office to look for themselves?
Old 09-20-2014, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightybuck View Post
The last time I hunted antelope was 2008 at mannyberries. The antelope population was really good at tthat time and our party all shot mature antelope bucks. This year after 11 year priority wait i drew an archery tag up in the suffield area. There are antelope but the trophy quality is way down . Lots of young buck and does with fawns. I wish we could all learn something from our Saskatchewan cousins and close the season for a couple of years or like them for hte last 4. Once the population gets to where it should be they will open it up and the trophy quality will be there. Thoughts?
Couldn't agree more.

I agree that more management of antelope in Alberta is needed. A good start would be closing the season to all non-residents. Having Albertans wait 10+ years while some non-residents hunt them with outfitters every year just isn't right.

And I like this suggestions too!!!