Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 09-17-2014, 06:26 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tox View Post
Glad I don't hunt sturgeon county. I would expect that if I acted in a friendly and respectful manner, I would get it in return. Respect is a two way street but to each their own.
I think that you've got the wrong idea about our county, Tox. I've never had an issue with anyone here and as a Resident Trapper I have knocked on a lot of doors in the area looking for permission to trap private property. There have been numerous B&E's here and news of it spreads quickly amongst the locals. I knock on one door and an hour later everyone in the area that I talk to has heard about a Trapper (me) looking for permission.....LOL!

If there is a chain across the driveway, or there is no vehicle parked there indicating that someone is home, and you go in snooping around anyway, then you will probably be suspected of being up to no good. It is what it is and not unique to our county.

The point is, if your ultimate goal is to get permission, then stop by only when you think that it is appropriate to do so, not whenever it is convenient for you. If it were my Wife alone in the boonies I'd prefer that she say "No" to permission rather than say that I'm not home.

That's my advice. Some will understand it and others won't.
Old 09-17-2014, 06:29 PM

I've only had a bad experience with a landowner's neibour. I had permission to hunt on the land and spoted a great buck. I walked in, got set up and waited. As it turns out the buck took a different path than anticipated. As I walked back to the truck about 3 hours later, the neibour was waiting for me by my truck arms folded, hips to the side and tapping her foot. As I arrived to my truck, Befor I could say one word she began to scold me, frothing at the mouth mad and kicking dirt. I had no clue what the heck her problem was or who she was! She told me she live at the house down the road and didn't approve of me hunting, especially on Sunday and proceeded to tell me the county had banned it. I told her that that was impossible and that she should get her facts straight and stop harassing me. She then carried on and on...
Anyhow, I obviously coudnt get a word in... I didn't try. I ended up approaching the landowner as soon as possible so he could get my version first buy she beat me to it. As a result, I lost privilege on 6 sections of prime land. As it turns out, the landowners was renting a house to her and didn't want bad blood between them. I see his point.

Anyhow, I thought the saga would end their, but, as I got to work the next day, my principal asked to speak to me in private in her office. I guess the neibour called my principal and head office to denounce me as a law breaker and a poacher. Of course, I'm well known in the community and at work. My principal basically told her to buzz off as did our deputy superintendent.

Some people are nuts!
Old 09-17-2014, 07:03 PM

I have been fairly lucky in obtaining permission where I hunt as my cousins own some very good hunting land and their neighbours are right friendly as well. Plus due to my job, I have met a lot of the landowners and always treated them with respect and they remember and appreciate it and allow me to hunt usually when I ask plus they give me any hot tips they may have. Barring that, I have millions of hectares of crown land within 20 minutes of my door.

One farmer out here had maps and sign posts on a lot of his land. If you shot an animal you went back to his yard, showed him on the map and he would take his front end loader out and get your animal for you.

Can honestly only think of one farmer who gave me grief, was around access to his GRL. Felt it was a private hunting area for his buddies. Contacted the land manager and went thru that whole process and was granted permission much to the farmers chagrin.
Old 09-17-2014, 07:09 PM
Banned

Sorry you cannot hunt as I have an exclusivity agreement with an outfitter.
Old 09-17-2014, 08:12 PM

I hunt crown land, but once I did go looking for permission about an hour outside Calgary for gophers. Only one guy let me on and it was too windy for gophers anyway, but everybody was very nice and a few seemed very sad to say "no". Fortunately none of them seemed to share Dirt2Oil's apparent opinion of people like me.

It was awful awkward though, walking up to people's houses uninvited. Not really something I'd care to do again.
Old 09-18-2014, 08:09 AM

Sorry Dave, it was a poor attempt at sarcasm. I am sure most people are friendly. Our area down south here is the same. If you look suspicious, everyone hears about it quite fast.
Old 09-18-2014, 08:58 AM
Banned

Over the years I've had my shares of yes's and no's, but I don't think I've ever met anyone like some landowners that are posted on this thread. Even the one guy that asked if it would be ok if he shot me seems like a nicer guy than what is posting on here.

I don't buy the "yer not from around here" or the "casing out the joint" theories. There is a reason for some landowners paranoia, but it's not because they're worried about a guy asking for permission.

I'm both a landowner and a Hunter who asks permission. My property has been broken into and property stolen. If a guy sees my truck parked in the driveway, comes in and asks permission, I'm not thinking he's there casing out the place. If he's parked in my driveway when I drive in and is out walking around my shop, then that's a time for a different line of questioning.

Life must suck when everyone is out to get ya, but maybe you made it that way.
Old 09-18-2014, 09:30 AM

I have added one more ignorant Ao member to my ignore list.
That makes two landowners....
The ones I know in person have been very generous to me.
From Boyle to Youngstown.
Edson to St.paul, strathcona county to Beavermines.
I have never met a farmer/landowner like dirt and hillbilly.
Unreal!!!
And I am not a new or young Alberta hunter.

It's too bad that AO is public and anyone can read this stuff.

I have had farmers offer me a place to stay, a shop to hang a deer in, use of their quad, a place to plug in the truck. A meal, coffee. A phone call at Christmas. A lead on scrap cars....
I meet plenty at farm auctions as well and it's the same friendly attitude.

Some guys need to get away from the farm chemicals for a while.
You might become a cancer. Oops, I mean it might cause cancer

Either get busy living, or get busy dying!
Old 09-18-2014, 10:04 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dacotensis View Post
Unreal!!!

I have had farmers offer me a place to stay, a shop to hang a deer in, use of their quad, a place to plug in the truck. A meal, coffee. A phone call at Christmas. A lead on scrap cars....

Don't put them on ignore, you'll miss out on a good laugh. Don't get upset with them, just remember there always needs to be a balance, good-evil, young-old, wise-simple. Without knowledge, basic skills seem advanced and vise versa, if everyone was smart, there would be no measurable difference between people and life would get boring.

Get out and enjoy the outdoors, the odds of meeting a nasty landowner is the exception, not the rule, as is apparent from this thread.

Last edited by Kurt505; 09-18-2014 at 10:20 AM.
Old 09-18-2014, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt2oil View Post
Ha ha ha Case and point!! You just validated my statement! Good job. It's guys like you that ruin it for the decent folks like Lefty. Who are you to say where I belong.
Would you have given Lefty the time of day long enough to realize he was decent folk?
Old 09-18-2014, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by husky7mm View Post
Would you have given Lefty the time of day long enough to realize he was decent folk?

Dirt2Oil just pm'd me with a string of colour for calling him on his bull****, shows his true character. I'd like to see if he has the balls to give someone attitude like that in person. Vote to ban.
Old 09-18-2014, 10:32 AM

Seems like my little post opened up a can of worms...
Old 09-18-2014, 10:35 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwilson View Post
Dirt2Oil just pm'd me with a string of colour for calling him on his bull****, shows his true character. I'd like to see if he has the balls to give someone attitude like that in person. Vote to ban.
I got invited for a beer once. Said I'd be honoured because I'm never one to turn down a beer, that's about as colourful as it got though. Never did get the beer

Don't get worked up about it, we need colourful characters here to keep it interesting.
Old 09-18-2014, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt505 View Post
I got invited for a beer once. Said I'd be honoured because I'm never one to turn down a beer, that's about as colourful as it got though. Never did get the beer

Don't get worked up about it, we need colourful characters here to keep it interesting.

I agree lol
Old 09-18-2014, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cotang View Post
Seems like my little post opened up a can of worms...
Soon young grasshopper you will learn that all anybody wants to do on this forum is argue. If all the BS was removed (much of it mine included) this would be a much smaller forum.
Old 09-18-2014, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dacotensis View Post
Unreal!!!

What did I do to you? You a bow hunter?

"I find it interesting that some folk will pay to use a range, use a golf course, use a garage bay but think landowners should have to give permission for free. Do these same people think hookers should be treated like landowners?" pitw
Old 09-18-2014, 11:30 AM

I'll post on this, as what I've been reading is pretty much my thoughts. I grew up on a farm, and lived that way for 30 years. Small town mentality for the most part. If you drove up the 1/2 mile lane way to my uncles place where we based our farming out of, the farm yard was very large. Not once was it ever thought of that whoever was there was there for no good. A wave so they seen you and a normal conversation then took place. We farmed lots of land and never got bent out of shape for people being on it, as long as the crop wasn't being drove over. Cultivated land, fill your boots, I don't think dirt can get too squished down from a quad to a truck to someone walking, etc. The only people in the entire community and area that didn't like hunters was well known and nobody went on their clearly posted land. A lot of bad things must have happened to the people that hate everyone else so much to yell, scream, unleash their dogs on others, etc. This is why I have almost completely stopped hunting. I don't have the need to have some d-bag give me grief for calling them on the phone at "their wrong time to call", or stop at someones place to find out a no-trespassing sign applies to their yard and anyone they don't know. Post it "Keep out, I hate everyone".
Now to get this somewhat back on point, one of my stories would be as follows. A nicely treed quarter of land with major tracks and trails going into it was posted "No-Trespassing". I thought it didn't hurt to ask, so with my landowners map and a phone book I called the owner. I explained where I was talking about and asked if I could go on their land. The older gentleman then said sure, no problem.........if you want to go to court, and proceeded to tell me he knew I was up to something and I wanted to go his land to do anything I wanted and was up to no good. I said I was just asking, and thanked him for his time and hung up as he was still giving me the business. Very Strange!
Now the kicker for this was I asking in late winter/early spring and only wanted access to go in looking for deer sheds. Walking only, no guns. Which I explained to him at the start.
The part on phoning or showing up in person I always wonder about. I think calling is more convenient for both parties as the owner can answer the phone if they feel like talking, and if they don't answer unknown numbers or return a message I move along. As much as I like dogs, I don't care to meet 2 big dogs owned by someone with a bad attitude, because I don't know that if they parked their truck facing south they don't want company, east maybe, but not south, or north or west...
Old 09-18-2014, 11:52 AM

[QUOTE=Dirt2oil;2552158]Well.... A chain is the same as get lost!! Me personally I have 2 signs warning people no tresspassing and there are german shepherds running around. I don't use a chain I just hope people are smart enough to not come in. You see the type of people that live on farms live there because we don't want neighbours and we especially don't want city people walking in like they own the place! Who knows of your intentions? Are you really looking for permission or are you casing my farm?? Who knows if the guy really is just a hunter? If I'm my front yard I will politely say no and ask you to be on your way. If I'm in my shop then guys would be greeted by the dogs .Every thread about this is the same. So I suggest you guys that want to hunt farm land to see this website it's www.mls.ca then you can buy land like I did. My land wasn't handed down,it wasn't given to me it was purchased by me!! But good luck on your door knocking![

Not everybody buys land to isolate themselves from the world. Not every farmer owns a small army of german shepperd. Make me think your hiding something, like dead prostitutes or something. Some farmers welcome visitors to help regulate wild game on their land. Im sure some are so busy farming they cant get out hunting themselves
Old 09-18-2014, 11:56 AM

Why is the quote thing not working for me?
Old 09-18-2014, 02:09 PM

I used to hunt on a farmers ranch with my Dad years back. Well one year I got my draw by myself so dad gave me his # to call for permission. I called him up and told him who I was and he said sure no problem. We got to talking with him telling me where the better places were and where they are hiding out and saying should be in and done in a couple of hours (three of us did shoot 6 doe's one year and were tagged out by noon). Well I went on to explain it may take me a little longer as I had drawn antlered and was looking for something nice, oops, he got so mad about giving me permission for trophy hunting and not just shooting the first deer to come along. With that he said "well I gave you permission so go ahead but don't ever call me again!"
I thought it best not to hunt there and have bad feelings towards my Dad so I went elsewhere.
Another time stopped to ask for permission and back beside an old shed there was a tripod about 10' high with a large set of moose antlers at the top, it was wrapped in an old black blanket/tarp for about 5' below that......hmmmm wonder where he used to put that, never did ask. He did give me permission to hunt though.
Old 09-18-2014, 02:17 PM

Default Ol guy eating cream corn

Stopped on route to camrose for a goose hunt off the hwy in a guys 80 acre chunk of silage..went up to the house an this old weathered guy came to the door with cream corn all splattered over his ripped stained short and dribbling down his beard an all over his face lol..then I saw the plate on the table with lots to go still...never said a word just looked at me..after a 30 second stare down I asked the usual an waited for a response...nothing...I walked backwards slowly said" have a nice day sir "an got the "F" outa dodge lol!.
Old 09-18-2014, 05:03 PM

The one thing I found about asking for permission around Lethbridge was that whenever I got denied it was usually accompanied by a bad story about trespassers or poachers ruining the opportunity for others. Now I only got permission from a half a dozen or so landowners but the story was always the same. Most of the time my study at College (Conservation Enforcement) tended to help me out in persuading the landowner that I had no intentions of disrespecting his property.
Old 09-18-2014, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulehahn View Post
Where does his question say any of that? Just as there are disrepectful hunters out there, there are disrepectful land owners. They are not Gods to be worshipped. I can honestly say I have never recieved more then a polite no when asking permission. But I vividly remember the time I saw a calf that had right tangled itself in barbwire. It was a little ways from the only house I could see so I went to notify the rancher. When he opened the door I was treated to one of the most colourful tirades I have ever had the pleasure to be on the receiving end of. I was made to understand that I was trespassing and when I tried to explain why I was there was told that calf was free to have relations with my mother for all he cared. I left shaking my head. We all have bad days, and no bodies perfect and that includes ranchers. I don't see this thread as an attack on ranchers, just a place for hunters to tell stories. Same as is told about hunters when farmers get together!
Sounds like you met my Uncle John
Old 09-18-2014, 10:02 PM

Went to ask for permission on a pea field to shoot geese. The land owner and he opened the door and said "Who are you? Where are you from and what if your business? When we said we were hunters he invited us in and showed us all of his mounts. Amazing. The guy was super awesome.
Old 09-19-2014, 10:14 PM

I bought a county map least fall, knocked on doors with my business card, and got onto 9 out of 10 places average for bird hunting... the only no's were on places covered in cows, and a certain Hutterite Colony next to the McIntyre Ranch that doesn't let anybody on... polite, respectful, take notes re: access details, business card with cell # has worked well for me...
Old 09-20-2014, 03:08 AM

I have gotten the cant you read lecture as well, from a neighbor lady, but when I explained my dyslexia to the lady she musta felt sorry for me and gave in and gave me permission, to this day she still thinks I have dyslexia and believes I cant read or write , and I even send her xmass cards written with the help of a mirror