Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 09-14-2014, 11:48 PM

Default Worst than "No"? for permission

Just a carious question for the door knockers, what the worst response that you ever got than a polite "No" when asking for permission to hunt on their land. More looking for horror story than anything else.
Old 09-14-2014, 11:53 PM

So please, pray tell,,, to what purpose does a bash the clueless/ selfish / ignorant landowner thread serve?
Old 09-15-2014, 12:14 AM

I've only been told no a handful of times. Being polite and respectful typically results in permission being granted, not nasty words.
Old 09-15-2014, 02:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikebreath View Post
So please, pray tell,,, to what purpose does a bash the clueless/ selfish / ignorant landowner thread serve?
Where does his question say any of that? Just as there are disrepectful hunters out there, there are disrepectful land owners. They are not Gods to be worshipped. I can honestly say I have never recieved more then a polite no when asking permission. But I vividly remember the time I saw a calf that had right tangled itself in barbwire. It was a little ways from the only house I could see so I went to notify the rancher. When he opened the door I was treated to one of the most colourful tirades I have ever had the pleasure to be on the receiving end of. I was made to understand that I was trespassing and when I tried to explain why I was there was told that calf was free to have relations with my mother for all he cared. I left shaking my head. We all have bad days, and no bodies perfect and that includes ranchers. I don't see this thread as an attack on ranchers, just a place for hunters to tell stories. Same as is told about hunters when farmers get together!
Old 09-15-2014, 04:45 AM

I have only had one bad experience with a land owner. I have come close a few times where the farmer was less than friendly, or rather rude.
The one bad experience goes as follows:

We were hunting pheasants in the Taber area, driving down the road I spotted 2 roosters in the bush. We drove about a half mile down the road and pulled into the yard. A woman came out the door and you could see she was not happy. Good morning I said my name is Pincherguy. She said I give a chat who you are what the hell do you want. I told her I had spotted a couple of birds on her land and would like permission to hunt. She said what the hell is the matter with you? Can't you read? I said your signs says no trespassing, if you give me permission then I am not trespassing. All the while I am smiling and trying to be friendly. This type of conversation went on 5 minutes or so. Finally I said will you give me permission or not either way I appreciate your time. She said " I can plainly see that you are totally stupid and uneducated, learn to read and you may get farther along. Finally I lost it and told her what I thought of her and left her shouting obscenities at me as I got back in my truck. And no I did not spin the tires as I left her yard.
Old 09-15-2014, 04:54 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pincherguy View Post
I have only had one bad experience with a land owner. I have come close a few times where the farmer was less than friendly, or rather rude.
The one bad experience goes as follows:

We were hunting pheasants in the Taber area, driving down the road I spotted 2 roosters in the bush. We drove about a half mile down the road and pulled into the yard. A woman came out the door and you could see she was not happy. Good morning I said my name is Pincherguy. She said I give a chat who you are what the hell do you want. I told her I had spotted a couple of birds on her land and would like permission to hunt. She said what the hell is the matter with you? Can't you read? I said your signs says no trespassing, if you give me permission then I am not trespassing. All the while I am smiling and trying to be friendly. This type of conversation went on 5 minutes or so. Finally I said will you give me permission or not either way I appreciate your time. She said " I can plainly see that you are totally stupid and uneducated, learn to read and you may get farther along. Finally I lost it and told her what I thought of her and left her shouting obscenities at me as I got back in my truck. And no I did not spin the tires as I left her yard.
I had the a 100% different experience in taber while antelope hunting. it was about 10 in the morning had spotted some antelope on a piece across the fence from where we had permission. so we went and found the land owners house. I was only 18 at the time it was my turn to knock on the doors that day. Dad and Buddy sat in truck. Well I just about go ate when this 40ish smoking hot COUGAR opened the door in her TEDDY I don't think she was waiting for me but she was hungry none the less. I quickly explained there was guys waiting for me in the truck and that I could not come inside. she looked disappointed but give us permission.
Old 09-15-2014, 05:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntin View Post
I had the a 100% different experience in taber while antelope hunting. it was about 10 in the morning had spotted some antelope on a piece across the fence from where we had permission. so we went and found the land owners house. I was only 18 at the time it was my turn to knock on the doors that day. Dad and Buddy sat in truck. Well I just about go ate when this 40ish smoking hot COUGAR opened the door in her TEDDY I don't think she was waiting for me but she was hungry none the less. I quickly explained there was guys waiting for me in the truck and that I could not come inside. she looked disappointed but give us permission.
Say guys, you all sit here for ten and make a plan for the stalk, be back in ten. LOL that's how to handle that situation.
Old 09-15-2014, 07:49 AM

This is my first year knocking on Alberta doors, so I had no idea what to expect. What I found was probably some of the nicest people in the world. One person in particular, took about 10 minutes apologizing to me because he already gave permission to another group of hunters. I have been turned down a lot but never disrespected..
Old 09-15-2014, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Say guys, you all sit here for ten and make a plan for the stalk, be back in ten. LOL that's how to handle that situation.
Hahahaha tell them anything you have to, but whatever you do dont leave her hanging!!!
Old 09-15-2014, 08:22 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 09-15-2014, 08:37 AM

When I was in college in Calgary, I went hunting at least an hour north to get away from MOST of the bunny lovers and I spotted a nice ravine with some does eating. So I went into the yard even though there was no trespassing signs. I went and knocked on the door and politely asked if I could hunt and the lady just blasts me with "What? Can't you f*****g read? It says no trespassing. Get the ******..." at which point I interrupted and said thank you for your time and I am sorry to bother you.
Old 09-15-2014, 08:38 AM

I'm a landowner and look forward to hearing some of the stories.

I've had hunters try to kick me off my own land, that's one of my favorite stories.

"I find it interesting that some folk will pay to use a range, use a golf course, use a garage bay but think landowners should have to give permission for free. Do these same people think hookers should be treated like landowners?" pitw
Old 09-15-2014, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Ten?
That would be the last invite....
Think long term old man.

Getting permission in strathcona county has it's trials for sure.

I got the "can't you read?"
My smart A comment was. "Only at night as I went to night school"
He didn't think it was funny

Hey, when you see a 170 wt, you just have to ask right?

Either get busy living, or get busy dying!
Old 09-15-2014, 09:44 AM

Most of my experience knocking on doors has been good usually get a yes or no and the odd one that sits down and tells you all about the game on their property.

Only one that was rude looked at the deer on their property as pets and thought hunting and killing animals was horrible. Just left and said your property your rules have a nice day.

For the most part the people I met were good some who said no still recommended landowners to talk to in their area.

Being respectful on when you show up, how you talk, and not being pushy can go a long way. I have had permission on properties others told me was impossible and no's change to yes by not trying to change their mind and having a friendly conversation about other things.

In my opinion those who cannot get permission are usually going about it the wrong way. You also need to remember landowners talk and if you **** off one it can change the answer of others in the area.
Old 09-15-2014, 10:01 AM

This happened in BC two years ago so I am not sure if it is the same as people's experience in AB but I thought I would share.

I was on a moose hunt with my Dad in my hometown in central BC and on out way out to the area we were hunting we saw a huge mulie buck in a field that belonged to a local farmer that my Dad has known for a long time. In the afternoon after the morning hunt, I drove out to ask for permission to hunt their land and the man who answered the door was rude and aggressive and told me that he doesnt appreciate people from other regions showing up on his front door looking to exploit the animals in his area. I advised that I spent the first 19 years of my life in the town and was just asking. He colorfully told me how fast I should leave his property. I went back and chatted with my dad about it and on our way back out for the evening hunt, he pulled into the driveway and knocked on the door to talk to the guy. As soon as he saw my Dad he was the nicest guy ever and welcomed my Dad to hunt his property. I stepped out of the vehicle and the guy became super apologetic and felt super bad about how he behaved.
Old 09-15-2014, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillbillyreefer View Post
I'm a landowner and look forward to hearing some of the stories.

I've had hunters try to kick me off my own land, that's one of my favorite stories.
That is priceless! Would be worth a good laugh after they were gone...

It's interesting the people who think a "no trespassing" sign means "hunting is not allowed here at all". To most it says "have permission before you go on" but not to everyone I guess. Some of my best spots have been "no trespassing". Get the permission and then you will be the only one on there! Well, except for the guys on quads, and bikes...
Old 09-15-2014, 10:38 AM

I have asked permission in places to be told NO first off and with some conversation be told "YES, but only you".

The more no answers you receive the closer to a yes you get.

LC
Old 09-15-2014, 10:57 AM

Location: Just this side of no-where on the edge of common sense

Although I am a landowner I thought I might contribute to this thread. Even though I no longer hunt and my grown children and their spouses do like to hunt our land, I have readily given permission to many hunters over the years. I have posted my thoughts in regards to land ownership here on the forum in the past and I will admit that my views of land ownership are not mainstream.

This year I was proactively approached in August by not one, but two, different fathers asking permission to hunt our property with their young, first year hunters. I gave them both permission and, after some more thought, I decided to not give permission to any other adult hunters for the year in order to give youth hunters reasonable, quality hunting opportunities.

My thinking is that most adult hunters would support this position and that it would be good for the sport in general because it would support youth joining the sport.

One of the adult hunters that I have given permission to in the past phoned again this year and when I told him that I was not giving permission to any more hunters this year and the reasons why, he turns on "the weasel" as I so indelicately call it.

"What about this?" "What about that?" "What if I did this?"

I found this annoying and, in all likelyhood, I will no longer give him permission to hunt our land at all anymore.

On a general note I have noticed a few hunters that are happy to receive permission to hunt, but give a big "SIGH" and roll their eyes when I tell them to sit down so we can review the "do's and don'ts" of hunting our land and to sign our permission forms. There has been a couple of times when I have felt my anger rise and I have been very close to telling them that I have changed my mind and that they can move along.
Regards,
Dave
Old 09-15-2014, 11:09 AM

I should add...when I ask permission, I ask each and every year EARLY I never take for granted that once permission has been granted it applies to the end of eternity.

Land changes hand, land gets rented, sold, swapped, etc....never assume you are allowed to be where you are until you make contact to the land owner each and every year.

To be honest most land owners that allow me permission I speak with more than just hunting season...I consider them friends.

LC
Old 09-15-2014, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskey Wish View Post
Although I am a landowner I thought I might contribute to this thread. Even though I no longer hunt and my grown children and their spouses do like to hunt our land, I have readily given permission to many hunters over the years. I have posted my thoughts in regards to land ownership here on the forum in the past and I will admit that my views of land ownership are not mainstream.

This year I was proactively approached in August by not one, but two, different fathers asking permission to hunt our property with their young, first year hunters. I gave them both permission and, after some more thought, I decided to not give permission to any other adult hunters for the year in order to give youth hunters reasonable, quality hunting opportunities.

My thinking is that most adult hunters would support this position and that it would be good for the sport in general because it would support youth joining the sport.

One of the adult hunters that I have given permission to in the past phoned again this year and when I told him that I was not giving permission to any more hunters this year and the reasons why, he turns on "the weasel" as I so indelicately call it.

I found this annoying and, in all likelyhood, I will no longer give him permission to hunt our land at all anymore.

On a general note I have noticed a few hunters that are happy to receive permission to hunt, but give a big "SIGH" and roll their eyes when I tell them to sit down so we can review the "do's and don'ts" of hunting our land and to sign our permission forms. There has been a couple of times when I have felt my anger rise and I have been very close to telling them that I have changed my mind and that they can move along.
Regards,
Dave
Nothing wrong with giving the kids a good opportunity

As for those who wine about getting the rules well they should want to know them before they start. When I get a yes the first ? I have is what are the owners rules.
Old 09-15-2014, 11:13 AM

Pulled in to a driveway, apparently awoke the landowner on Sunday afternoon at 2 pm from what appeared to be her Saturday night drunk, she complained she had a wicked hanger and if I ever wanted permission from anyone, not to come around so early in the morning. She was pretty surly, and got her her hubby.

It was every stereotype you could imagine, with a distinct lack of teeth, having what like 5 between the two of them. They asked what I was looking for and if the neighbours sent me, and if not them, then who? It started making my exit thanking them for their time when the hubby explained that "technically" they don't own the land, and its on the neighbours title, but that they've been living there for years, even though the neighbours are trying to kick them off. They said this is why they didn`t like "city types" nosing around, also they couldnt really give me permission even if they wanted to. They suggested I would have better luck looking for permission a few hours north.

Nice folks.
Old 09-15-2014, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskey Wish View Post

Regards,
Dave
You are the type of landowner I like! Giving me directions on how you want your land to be treated lets me know that my actions (good or bad) will be noted. Having a land owner take the time to let me know about his rules just provides me with the opportunity to get to the land owner more and maybe get a few tips on how to hunt the land! Building relationships with land owners goes a long way.
Old 09-15-2014, 11:41 AM

Quote:
In no way was my thread was to bash the landowners. No means No in my books. Once that is said you thank them and leave. This thread is mostly started to hear the tales of the unfortunate ones who were polite and were treated in the opposite.
Old 09-15-2014, 12:45 PM
Banned

99% of my experiences with landowners has been positive and I've made a lot of acquaintances by asking for permission. Many are happy enough to let me know where they'e seen that bull moose hanging around and some ask if I can hunt a certain area where they'd like a couple of does taken out to thin the herd a bit. There was that one guy though (lol)......

I knocked on the door and when he came out I introduced myself and asked him for permission. He immediately launched into a tirade about poachers, trespassers and hunters for what seemed like 5 minutes and I stood there quietly, not interrupting him. Once he ran out of things to say, I stuck my hand out to shake his hand, told him that he owned the land and I totally understood his position and I thanked him for his time.

I could tell by his reaction that he was a little surprised by my response and as I was walking back to the truck he called me back and asked where exactly I wanted to hunt. By the end of the conversation I had permission to hunt the edge of a field, where I wanted to be, and I was keeping an eye out for trespassers and poachers for him.

I think that if you can sell yourself by having the right attitude, it'll open more doors for you (pun intended).
Old 09-15-2014, 12:49 PM

When a friend and I were out coyote hunting we went up to the house to ask permission. The lady who answered the door asked why we were hunting coyotes, "Fur" we stated. She said just a minute and came back with a kitchen knife and asked if she could scalp us for our "fur". Wow. She had a thick Eastern european accent and made me think of the movie "Hostel". Needless to say we declined, bid her a good day and hopped back in the truck. That was the one that most sticks out in my memory.
Old 09-15-2014, 12:56 PM

As a landowner I don't generally mind people coming to the house.

HOWEVER, I do have a chain I put across the driveway when I don't want anyone around. What will tick me off is when someone goes under or over the chain, next to the private property no tresspassing sign and walks up to the house.

If the chain is down, come on up to the house if you wish, don't go leaving the driveway and going anywhere else, just up to the house and life is good.

I would have thought that was pretty obvious, but for some it doesn't appear so.
Old 09-15-2014, 12:58 PM

Every situation is different but usually I pick a time when I know people will be around (avoiding early mornings, late nights or supper). I don't BS, I don't try try to make friends....I cut to the chase and ask for permission. I explain that I play by the rules and leave things how I found them, my usual caveat is "once the dust settles you'll never know I was there". Many Landowners are busy and in my opinion are not looking for more "friends". I don't waste their time and they don't waste mine. If I hunt on a neighbors place I usuall mention that. I also drive slow up their road and avoid driving on their grass when turning around or backing up
Old 09-15-2014, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjohncdn View Post
As a landowner I don't generally mind people coming to the house.

HOWEVER, I do have a chain I put across the driveway when I don't want anyone around. What will tick me off is when someone goes under or over the chain, next to the private property no tresspassing sign and walks up to the house.

If the chain is down, come on up to the house if you wish, don't go leaving the driveway and going anywhere else, just up to the house and life is good.

I would have thought that was pretty obvious, but for some it doesn't appear so.
Maybe a suggestion....sign stating "Chain up...do not disturb". Because honestly I have hopped over chains/ropes to talk to landowners when I saw they were home.

LC
Old 09-15-2014, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drake View Post
Every situation is different but usually I pick a time when I know people will be around (avoiding early mornings, late nights or supper). I don't BS, I don't try try to make friends....I cut to the chase and ask for permission. I explain that I play by the rules and leave things how I found them, my usual caveat is "once the dust settles you'll never know I was there". Many Landowners are busy and in my opinion are not looking for more "friends". I don't waste their time and they don't waste mine. If I hunt on a neighbors place I usuall mention that. I also drive slow up their road and avoid driving on their grass when turning around or backing up
My buddy and I had this backfire on us. We made mention that we had permission on ajoining land that his brother owned. It turns out his brother used to bully him when they were in grade school!! Both men were in their late 70's when we asked and were told that as long as we had permission on his brothers land we were welcome to " get the F off of his land"

Went back a year later, only to get told the same... some grudges never die.
Old 09-15-2014, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7mmremmag View Post
Hahahaha tell them anything you have to, but whatever you do dont leave her hanging!!!
Ten minutes. He said he was 18 at the time. I'd a given him five - that includes getting the teddy off.