Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 09-14-2014, 11:21 PM

Default Hunting Boots

Just one of those open questions looking for a suggestion.

Several years ago a guy was nice enough to spend time with me and help me get a pair of boots. This was at a place long closed. I wore those boots for years. Then when they were about on their way out I just happened to be in Bass Pro when it was new at Calgary and saw a nice pair, they seemed to fit and took them home.

Well after a few years I have worn the material off them. collapsed the counter on the heel, collapsed the welt portion around the arch.

I have worn Bhrama cowboy boots for 20 years because they fit, they last, and my feet are not sore, But this was all because a good person at one store fit the boots to me, not me to the boots.

I am not looking for what brand is the best, as everyone will have very valid points to suggest all the good brands. I am just looking for a suggestion on a good place to that I can buy a good pair of hunting boots that will last more then a couple hundred miles, and fit the boots to me not me to the boots. Not the kid who was looking after camping supplies (Bass Pro / Wholesale / Cabelas) but because it is slow he is selling shoes today.

(Name the place, I hate crappy footwea. So, if I have to go for a drive, so be it... )
Old 09-15-2014, 12:47 AM

Two pairs of boots you need are Hanwags and a pair of Muck boots. .thats it
Old 09-15-2014, 06:32 AM
Banned

Try on a pair of Meindls they have them at Cabelas. I have wore them before they were good fit for me I switched to Kenetrex on advice from a friend but 3 seasons in I'm due for a new pair so i'm going back to Meindls
Old 09-15-2014, 07:06 AM

If you can try Lowa, Hanwag, Zamberlan. Pick the ones that fit you best. I personally like Lowa.
Old 09-15-2014, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightybuck View Post
A big X2 on this one!
Old 09-15-2014, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntin View Post
Try on a pair of Meindls they have them at Cabelas. I have wore them before they were good fit for me I switched to Kenetrex on advice from a friend but 3 seasons in I'm due for a new pair so i'm going back to Meindls
If you can get the real Meindls they are much better quality than the Cabells ones
Old 09-15-2014, 07:14 AM

This is my first year with hanwags but they're the best piece of gear I've bought. I never knew a piece of equipment could make me so comfortable (besides my kifaru pack). I swear they not only keep your feet comfortable but reduce fatigue and let me go further in a day. They're an awesome set of boots if they fit you.
Old 09-15-2014, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apeture View Post
I am not looking for what brand is the best, as everyone will have very valid points to suggest all the good brands. I am just looking for a suggestion on a good place to that I can buy a good pair of hunting boots that will last more then a couple hundred miles, and fit the boots to me not me to the boots. Not the kid who was looking after camping supplies (Bass Pro / Wholesale / Cabelas) but because it is slow he is selling shoes today.
He's not looking for what we think the best brand is.

Thomas Sowell
Old 09-15-2014, 08:07 AM

Default Boots

I can't tell you where your fabled store will be but I agree on how to get boots. It doesn't matter one bit what kind of boots they are as long as they fit your feet. The boots that fit my feet are kennetreks and now that they come with two or three (?) different foot beds they can fit even more peoples feet. I'd suggest that redwing shoes might be the place to start looking.
Old 09-15-2014, 09:06 AM
Banned

I bought boots at wholesale. I did some research and reading and decided on the Under Armor Speed Freaks for the early season hunting. Nice and light. They also feel like slippers on my feet.

I don't think it matters where you go as long as you do a little research, read through the BS and find something comfortable. Are the UA ones going to last 10 years? Who knows. But they're comfortable to me, and had all great reviews and they fit me great, so that's what I bought.
Old 09-15-2014, 09:35 AM

Hard to find a store nowadays that has the right people to fit shoes or even takes the time...A couple of years ago at a sportsman show there was a booth set up selling Hanwags...an older fellow that really new his stuff wish i could remember who it was
Old 09-15-2014, 10:12 AM

http://hanwagcanada.com/
http://www.monodsports.com/
http://www.mec.ca/Main/home.jsp?gcli...ztXhoCB1vw_wcB

Thomas Sowell
Old 09-15-2014, 10:25 AM

x2 on Monod in Banff. I was there 3 weeks ago and picked up my first pair of Hanwags. Salesman was very helpful - he'd hunted in Hanwags for years.
Old 09-15-2014, 10:30 AM

I tend to visit Mark's work wear house. They have good selections of different boots at affortable prices. Theres always a sale going on, and they have a good return policy in case something goes wrong. Picked up a pair of Tarantulas. They are completely water proof, insulated and light weight.
Old 09-15-2014, 10:46 AM

I am a fan of Red wing Shoes aka. Irish setters. They have quite a few good boots and such. You can head to one of the stores and try on the boots and see if you like them. I prefer to order on line myself. I own 3 pairs of boots from that company and am likely to buy more if the boots hold up for a few more years. The Elk Trackers are one of the most comfortable boots i own.
Old 09-15-2014, 10:49 AM

Last time I tried Marks work for work boots I pointed out to the salesmen that all of their boot selection was poorly made and would not last long at all. He agreed with me on their poor quality and refered me to Keddies tack and western in GP. They have great stuff and set me up proper. That would be my suggestion for the poster, try a western shop in your area, worked for me, might work for you.

Last edited by Mr. Dynamite; 09-15-2014 at 10:56 AM.
Old 09-15-2014, 05:20 PM

http://workboot.com/collections/hunting
Old 09-15-2014, 05:29 PM

x2 MUCK Boots. I was out in the foothills this past weekend and the combination of wet snow / mud was no match for the boots. They kept me warm, dry and comfortable for most of the afternoon and evening.
Old 09-15-2014, 07:00 PM

Default muck

muck arctic sports, good for anything but mountain hunts. fit like slippers, good support and layer up for cold or milder weather. Stick a hot pack in between two pair of socks on top of your toes and sit all day in the worst cold.
Old 09-15-2014, 07:18 PM

My best shot for you would be to go to a red wing shoe store and they will fit you nice and comfortably into a pair of red wing(Irish setters). I am a construction worker and only wear red wing boots due to their great warranty and high end product. The people are great and will bake the boot to your foot if you would like. I am a 9.5 right foot and 9.75 left foot. They accommodated me with boots that fit both of my feet. It took a week or so but I am now on file and will not go anywhere else. Also, if you are into it, they sell carhartt clothing at 20% everyday.

Good luck
Old 09-15-2014, 08:54 PM

Red wing. Can't say enough. My work boots have lasted six years so far and still have the original laces. I bought a pair of Vasques from an American location about five years ago and they're still my fair weather boot. Mind you I'm going out tomorrow to look at some Mucks. Everyone seems to be raving about them. I need something to bridge the gap between the Vasques and Sorels.

But the folks at red wing will sit with you and treat you like cinderella.

Colin
Old 09-15-2014, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightybuck View Post
I own a pair of Muck boots, wear them all the time, just not a boot I would walk prairie, bush, rocks, hills, etc.... No ankle support for those rough areas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post
He's not looking for what we think the best brand is.
Thanks...

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarychef View Post
I can't tell you where your fabled store will be but I agree on how to get boots. It doesn't matter one bit what kind of boots they are as long as they fit your feet. The boots that fit my feet are kennetreks and now that they come with two or three (?) different foot beds they can fit even more peoples feet. I'd suggest that redwing shoes might be the place to start looking.
Thanks, never thought of the RedWing store... My 1st RW steel toed boots lasted over 14000 hours in a grain elevator environment. My 2nd are 5 years old.

Thanks again I can stop by a couple of these on my drives.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Dynamite View Post
Last time I tried Marks work for work boots I pointed out to the salesmen that all of their boot selection was poorly made and would not last long at all. He agreed with me on their poor quality and refered me to Keddies tack and western in GP. They have great stuff and set me up proper. That would be my suggestion for the poster, try a western shop in your area, worked for me, might work for you.
I just was in GP last week, never thought of them, I have only been there for other stuff... I will keep that in mind..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcroft View Post
My best shot for you would be to go to a red wing shoe store and they will fit you nice and comfortably into a pair of red wing(Irish setters). ........ill not go anywhere else. Also, if you are into it, they sell carhartt clothing at 20% everyday.

Good luck

QUOTE=colroggal;2550784]Red wing. Can't say enough. My work boots have lasted six years so far and still have the original laces. I bought a pair of Vasques from an American location about five years ago and they're still my fair weather boot. Mind you I'm going out tomorrow to look at some Mucks. Everyone seems to be raving about them. I need something to bridge the gap between the Vasques and Sorels.

But the folks at red wing will sit with you and treat you like cinderella.

Colin[/QUOTE]

As above, I have had 2 pairs of boots and well they carry their weight... to your Muck comment I have Mucks they are good for allot of things but not serious hiking over rocks, trees, etc etc, warm in the winter etc.... but most of the soles do not have big mud cleaning lugs...

Thanks all, gave me some ideas to go to that are not high through put with high service in these areas.
Old 09-15-2014, 10:06 PM

I love my Meindl. I also got a pair of Elk Tracker with 1000 grams of Thinsulate from Irish Setter but didn't have the opportunity to try them yet.
Old 09-15-2014, 10:11 PM

Default Boots

If nothing else this thread has illustrated the need for more reading and comprehension classes in school
Old 09-16-2014, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snm View Post
I am a fan of Red wing Shoes aka. Irish setters. They have quite a few good boots and such. You can head to one of the stores and try on the boots and see if you like them. I prefer to order on line myself. I own 3 pairs of boots from that company and am likely to buy more if the boots hold up for a few more years. The Elk Trackers are one of the most comfortable boots i own.
Me to! Had pair of grizzly tracker for years, still all together but insulation isn't what it was. So just bought pair of Irish setter snow glaw, hope they treat me as well. I think it's all in doing a little research and trying and fitting yourself for the most part. Hard to find quality help anywhere.
Old 09-16-2014, 09:17 AM

Trial and error. Everyones feet are different. The way you walk,your balance,your weight,height,stance all affect the wear and tear on a boot also. 500$ top of the line boot might work for joe,but tom gets foot or back aches from the same boots. Your going to have to find something thats fitted for you. Orthopedic soles also help.
Old 09-16-2014, 10:19 PM

I made the drive out to Banff tonight and got a pair of Hanwag Yukons at Manod .
The service was excellent and the boots are incredibly comfortable.
The Irish Setters look good as well and I have read a lot of good report about them as well.
Old 09-19-2014, 10:17 PM

agreed re: Hanwags... bought some last week, I hunt upland about 40 trips a year, they are outstanding in fit, my posture has improved, walking 3 to 4 miles on hunts about 5 days per week, very happy... I looked at Filson boots but discovered they're not made in US anymore but still charge US made price
Old 09-20-2014, 07:02 AM

Default Track n Trail

Track n Trail on Whyte ave in Edmonton has a good selection of high quality boots . They carry Hanwag..ect . Good service too i might add.
Old 09-20-2014, 07:47 PM

Jim bows in Calgary sells Hanwags.