Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 02-20-2020, 01:44 AM
Banned

Default Regions for Coyote Fur Quality

NAFA used to have this info but it’s been wiped clean. Does anyone know what regions the different quality of coyote fur typically is (ie. Eastern, Semi, Heavy Western, etc)? I know that it’s not exact, but typically speaking.
Old 02-20-2020, 07:46 AM

I would guess, and I know you would agree Dave, is Sturgeon County just north of Edmonton.
Old 02-20-2020, 09:47 AM

I trap most years from ponoka to the us border and in my experience the further south and east you go the better the quality gets. Generally you also get lower population densities. And usually higher densities equal higher disease rates. Of course just generalities but what I’ve seen.
Old 02-20-2020, 10:08 PM
Banned

Well, I know that #8, #10 and #11 are Heavy Western in Alberta and Saskatchewan and I suppose that it'd be possible in South Western Manitoba since it is so close. I'm still wondering about the following:

- I Know that Heavy Westerns are caught in Montana but I'm wondering how far south they would be. The map has #10 going all the way to Texas.
- How far West and South would they be in #11?
- BC has both #8 and #11. Do they even have Heavy Westerns there?

Of interest to me......I trap in #8 and my yotes are dark = Northern Coyotes. AB Trappers in #10 seem to catch lighter coloured ones = Plains Coyotes.

8. Canis latrans incolatus (Northern Coyote)
10. Canis latrans latrans (Plains Coyote)
11. Canis latrans lestes (Mountain Coyote)
17. Canis latrans thamnos (Northeastern Coyote)
20. Canis latrans “var” (Eastern Coyote)

EDIT.......I'm getting the info wrt what states have Western Heavies from Trappers on a US Trapping forum.

Last edited by HunterDave; 02-20-2020 at 10:17 PM.
Old 02-21-2020, 09:10 AM

Default Regions

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
Well, I know that #8, #10 and #11 are Heavy Western in Alberta and Saskatchewan and I suppose that it'd be possible in South Western Manitoba since it is so close. I'm still wondering about the following:

- I Know that Heavy Westerns are caught in Montana but I'm wondering how far south they would be. The map has #10 going all the way to Texas.
- How far West and South would they be in #11?
- BC has both #8 and #11. Do they even have Heavy Westerns there?

Of interest to me......I trap in #8 and my yotes are dark = Northern Coyotes. AB Trappers in #10 seem to catch lighter coloured ones = Plains Coyotes.

8. Canis latrans incolatus (Northern Coyote)
10. Canis latrans latrans (Plains Coyote)
11. Canis latrans lestes (Mountain Coyote)
17. Canis latrans thamnos (Northeastern Coyote)
20. Canis latrans “var” (Eastern Coyote)

EDIT.......I'm getting the info wrt what states have Western Heavies from Trappers on a US Trapping forum.

Hi Dave , according to the map I would be in the #10 region which is north of Edmonton of which I do get a number on the lighter side but also some a little dark & in maytherope region I get dark & lighter as well .
Old 02-22-2020, 08:44 AM

Default coyote

Dave, very interesting map. However I would think the real heavies would be in the Northern #8 zone as winters longer and colder. Fox generally much better pelts in North as well.
Old 02-22-2020, 11:04 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Grey Wolf View Post
Dave, very interesting map. However I would think the real heavies would be in the Northern #8 zone as winters longer and colder. Fox generally much better pelts in North as well.
I was thinking more along the lines of if everyone sent their fur to auction and the graders didn’t know where the pelts were from, which regions would grade heavy western. I was pretty surprised by how far south they come from.
Old 02-23-2020, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
I was thinking more along the lines of if everyone sent their fur to auction and the graders didn’t know where the pelts were from, which regions would grade heavy western. I was pretty surprised by how far south they come from.
Yea you would be amazed at some of the coyotes they have down south. I have relatives in South east Montana that have some of the nicest looking dogs I have seen.

For my coyote pics @trophy_country_coyotes on instagram

life's too short to fish nymphs
Old 02-23-2020, 07:19 AM

pretty sure most of the dakotas,montana and maybe even wyoming are western heavies, and of course west of manitoba. Not sure about anywhere else.