Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 02-15-2020, 09:37 AM

Default Spot and stalk black bear hunt?

I would like to try a spot and stalk black bear hunt this spring. I was thinking of trying wmu 318. I drove through it a bit last year and it looked like good country with lots of logging clearings that would make the spot and stalk hunting better. But the hunter harvest reports show that very few bears are shot out that area? I am wondering which other areas would be worth driving to if it has a better bear population. I am located in central Alberta

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-15-2020, 09:40 AM

We have this discussion every year, about this time. Sure, there are bears around, but they are few and far between and the success rates reflect it. The further North you go, the better.

Grizz
Old 02-15-2020, 10:07 AM

I’m going to second the notion that it gets better the further north you go, where in central Alberta are you and how far are you willing to drive, might help people recommend a more productive area
Old 02-15-2020, 10:32 AM

With the crops left in the field this year it might make for good conditions with hungry bears and oats and wheat on the ground.
Old 02-15-2020, 10:59 AM

Default bear

In general very high black bear population in Northeastern (Cold lake) area of Alberta. Grizz eating the black bears in foothills.
Old 02-15-2020, 11:10 AM

https://www.alberta.ca/black-bears-overview.aspx#toc-0

This is the Alberta Gov bear density survey information. It is old data but the overall trends are probably still close. The density for Swan Hills is well under represented. May not be totally accurate but hope it helps.
Old 02-15-2020, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Grey Wolf View Post
In general very high black bear population in Northeastern (Cold lake) area of Alberta. Grizz eating the black bears in foothills.
Athabasca area was apparently really bad last fall, bee keepers were taking a big hit.

Grizz
Old 02-15-2020, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by summit151 View Post
I would like to try a spot and stalk black bear hunt this spring. I was thinking of trying wmu 318. I drove through it a bit last year and it looked like good country with lots of logging clearings that would make the spot and stalk hunting better. But the hunter harvest reports show that very few bears are shot out that area? I am wondering which other areas would be worth driving to if it has a better bear population. I am located in central Alberta

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hunter harvest reports don't mean that much,many animals are never reported.

The river valleys west of you are likely spots in May/early June.

If you can find a good South facing clear area close to timber any bears in the area should show up, especially if dandelions are out.Try later in the afternoon when they seem to be more active.
Old 02-16-2020, 11:30 AM

I’m with everyone else for up north. I live in the Hat and drive 9 hours NW every year to my spot. Always have great success.
Old 02-16-2020, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter4ever12 View Post
I’m with everyone else for up north. I live in the Hat and drive 9 hours NW every year to my spot. Always have great success.

Do you go in the spring or the fall?
Old 02-16-2020, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarychef View Post
Do you go in the spring or the fall?
I always do spring hunt,keep telling myself I should go for a fall hunt every year but then bird season and scouting for November gets in the way. Some day though,I’d like to taste a fall bear out and compare the difference between a spring one.
Old 02-16-2020, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter4ever12 View Post
I always do spring hunt,keep telling myself I should go for a fall hunt every year but then bird season and scouting for November gets in the way. Some day though,I’d like to taste a fall bear out and compare the difference between a spring one.
We got one a couple years ago with longbows and it was in the fall, they’re pretty yummy then.