Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 09-09-2014, 10:56 PM

Default Another Grizzly attack 10km west of Okotoks

Just a heads up to the guys that bow hunt west of Okotoks. All the land I hunt on out there is covered in problem bear signs, and the rumor is a hunter was mauled this morning. I have not heard how the hunter is doing or how severe his injuries are.... F&W are saying 5 bears within a 2 mile radius.... Play safe out there!
Old 09-09-2014, 11:00 PM

Is this first hand info from fish n chips?? Be safe out there guys ..
Old 09-09-2014, 11:03 PM

Yes, F&W has asked us to stay off the land for a week so they can relocate bears...
Old 09-09-2014, 11:09 PM

Thanks .. I have friends that have a sow with twin cubs on there trail camera down there in the bow zone. ..
Old 09-09-2014, 11:15 PM

This whole grizzly thing is such a political chess game that by the sounds of it will get more and more difficult to make a move.
Old 09-09-2014, 11:20 PM

Perhaps they could re-locate them to Calgary.
More specifically, to the office of a certain Sun News columnist.

All sarcasm aside, I hope the fellow is on the mend and his injuries aren't life threatening.
Our community doesn't need any more sadness right now.

With all the bear activity lately I wonder if this story is bear related? Poor guy has been missing for over a week.
http://www.cbc.ca/m/touch/canada/cal...tory/1.2760964
Old 09-10-2014, 02:57 PM

As I live in the area, I spoke to F&W to clarify the situation.

They know nothing of a mauling in this area, and know only of a sow and two cubs (2 year olds) that have been known to be frequenting the country since last year. There could always be more bears in the area, but this family group is all they are currently aware of - at least in regards to Grizzlies. They did not mention any efforts to trap and relocate these bears, but there are signs out warning of bears in the area.
One reason the signs have been posted recently is one of the cubs was shot with an arrow last week. It has been seen a few times since and appears to be fine. Seems the arrow hit the shoulder blade area and has caused no significant damage.

According to them, the rumor of a mauling appears to be just that - a rumor that is not factual.
Old 09-17-2014, 11:51 AM

For those interested in Grizzly Bear research... here's a chance to get involved via the Grizzly Scat App.

This is the first time outdoorsmen and women have an opportunity to contribute directly to grizzly bear research that will be used to develop population estimates and contribute to long term trend monitoring. It would be nice to see the pilot be as successful as possible and continue in future years. This could be the answer for annual population monitoring across the entire province. Remember sightings just tell us where bears are at a point in time (occupancy)... DNA is needed for developing population estimates.

http://www.grizzlyscatapp.ca/

Android App: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...yscatapp&hl=en

iOS App coming soon.
Old 09-17-2014, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfeet View Post
As I live in the area, I spoke to F&W to clarify the situation.

They know nothing of a mauling in this area, and know only of a sow and two cubs (2 year olds) that have been known to be frequenting the country since last year. There could always be more bears in the area, but this family group is all they are currently aware of - at least in regards to Grizzlies. They did not mention any efforts to trap and relocate these bears, but there are signs out warning of bears in the area.
One reason the signs have been posted recently is one of the cubs was shot with an arrow last week. It has been seen a few times since and appears to be fine. Seems the arrow hit the shoulder blade area and has caused no significant damage.

According to them, the rumor of a mauling appears to be just that - a rumor that is not factual.

Correction it was the sow that was hit, there is a video of her with her two cubs and she is packing her left front. In the same field there is also two big male boars for a total of 5 bears. So far a total of 10 calves have been killed on one ranch and one on another. This is a resident sow and cubs, the sow has an ear tag and she is not one bit friendly. Fish and Wildlife are being very tight lipped about this but it is all about to go very public
Old 09-17-2014, 12:26 PM
Banned

Interesting thread. Please keep us updated.
Old 09-19-2014, 08:54 AM

This is just a few km west of millarville taken a couple days ago.
Old 09-19-2014, 10:11 PM

the last thing I want to run into while hunting.... been hunting Ruffed Grouse in mountain berry thickets lately....
Old 09-19-2014, 10:48 PM

Default grizzly

Yup. catch it and relocate it up to us in the north!!! Better yet, come up here, catch all the ones they have already relocated, haul them down to jasper/Banff. build a big fence around it, and keep them there, for all the pita nuts. this is right out of control,....and do the same with the cougar!!!!
Old 09-19-2014, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fat cat View Post
Yup. catch it and relocate it up to us in the north!!! Better yet, come up here, catch all the ones they have already relocated, haul them down to jasper/Banff. build a big fence around it, and keep them there, for all the pita nuts. this is right out of control,....and do the same with the cougar!!!!
Where abouts in the north are you?
Old 09-19-2014, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Huff View Post
the last thing I want to run into while hunting.... been hunting Ruffed Grouse in mountain berry thickets lately....
Same here. I keep bear spray on my belt and a couple rounds of 000 buckshot in a pocket away from my bird loads.

I've seen lots of bears and never had a serious problem, but it only takes once.