Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 05-22-2018, 12:37 AM

Default ATV along lakeshore?

What is the distance ATVs are supposed to be from the waters edge along a lake in alberta. I cannot find an exact distance online, it appears to be somewhat subjective and not black and white. Can these *****s just rip up and down a beach between the water and private land? I was pretty ****ed because they ripped up a bunch of killdeer nests in the sand. When I confronted the little puke he insisted the beach was crown land (which I agree) and he could do what he wanted there. To put this in perspective the distance between the lake water and my land is only about 10 yards.
Old 05-22-2018, 07:09 AM

Don’t quote me but I believe it’s 10’ from waters edge. Been a few years since I had a waterfront cabin.
Old 05-22-2018, 07:34 AM

report it to F&W maybe they will educate the individual. https://www.alberta.ca/report-poacher.aspx#toc-3 "If you see suspicious or illegal hunting and fishing activity, dangerous wildlife encounters and serious public lands abuse, call the Report-A-Poacher line at 1-800-642-3800."
Old 05-22-2018, 08:48 AM
Banned

Its crown land alright, but the beach is considered "bed and shore"

Clearly illegal on anything on any beach or below high water mark - i.e the bank.

http://aep.alberta.ca/recreation-pub...motorized.aspx

I'd be calling RAP immediately.
Old 05-22-2018, 12:59 PM
Banned

I encountered this out at Lac Lanonne and apparently driving below the high water mark is permitted. What people did was put in a pier with a walkway going up past the high water mark effectively blocking the use between the high water mark and the water. In most areas it is now impassible.
Old 05-22-2018, 01:22 PM

100m from lake shore probably, LOL, you not even supposed camp anymore within a 100m of a lakeshore, $287 fine.
Part of the new 38 regulations from the NDP.
http://aep.alberta.ca/about-us/compl...s/default.aspx

185(4)(a) Off-highway vehicle/ motorcycle within 100 metres of lakeshore in PLUZ without access permit/when unauthorized $287

185(4)(b)(c) Camp overnight within 100 metres of lakeshore in PLUZ without authorization. Graze/tether horse within 100 metres of lakeshore in PLUZ without authorization $287*
Old 05-22-2018, 07:44 PM

there are endangered shore birds in Alberta. report them or you could be in trouble.
Old 05-22-2018, 08:14 PM

You will have to check your particular plot plan and survey HOWEVER IIRC the high water mark is where your property will likely begin UNLESS there is a prescribed setback or common area (which would appear on your plot plan).

In that case the act of driving any vehicle there is illegal.
Old 05-23-2018, 03:19 PM

Funny I was just at a friends place on Lake Erie. Over there they own the beach and right out into the water...up to the depth of a horse's chest.
Old 05-23-2018, 04:08 PM

A sandy lakeshore nest could likely have been Piping Plovers - an endangered species. Similar to Killdeer, but a different species.
Either way, wanton destruction of nests and nesting birds is a punishable act. Take pictures of the ATV's, license plates and riders and report them. Schmucks that destroy habitat and wildlife need to be held accountable.