Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 05-20-2018, 10:55 AM
Banned

Default Cougar Attack

Cougar in Washington State killed one and injured another yesterday .
Old 05-20-2018, 11:00 AM

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/05/20/coug...r-seattle.html

here is a link there are others on goggle
Old 05-20-2018, 11:01 AM

It attacked one guy so his buddy came to his aid and ended up getting killed. Saw it on KOMO Seattle news this morning.
Old 05-20-2018, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushrat View Post
It attacked one guy so his buddy came to his aid and ended up getting killed. Saw it on KOMO Seattle news this morning.
Not quite what the report says.
Old 05-20-2018, 11:35 AM

Exclamation

Never run from a cougar.

Selkirk
Old 05-20-2018, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selkirk View Post
Never run from a cougar.

Selkirk
either species?
Old 05-20-2018, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco View Post
either species?
With the other species you excuse yourself to the washroom and hope it has a window to crawl out!
Old 05-20-2018, 01:44 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by artie View Post
https://www.cnbc.com/2018/05/20/coug...r-seattle.html

here is a link there are others on goggle
Sad story, especially if one considers that the two people involved are described as friends. What kind of a pusillanimous schmuck turns his back on a friend who's being attacked by a wild animal and runs away?!
Old 05-20-2018, 02:21 PM

I guess whenever and whoever heads to the hills these days should be prepared for the worst. They now recommend each person carry two cans of bear spray and practice mock encounters so you are ready. I thought in the states you can carry handguns or maybe not that state.
Old 05-20-2018, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sage 13 View Post
Not quite what the report says.
Different news reports.
Old 05-20-2018, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grouse_hunter View Post
Sad story, especially if one considers that the two people involved are described as friends. What kind of a pusillanimous schmuck turns his back on a friend who's being attacked by a wild animal and runs away?!
My thoughts exactly. Now the guy will have to live with being a coward forever. He'll either smarten up and start arming himself properly when heading into the wild or perhaps he'll never venture out into the woods again. Maybe the guilt will be too much an he'll eventually self-terminate? I can't imagine an instance where I'd leave a friend in that situation; it was the woods so there would have been trees, a fast scrounge for a stick to use as a weapon would be faster than cycling a few km to make a phone call. Heck, the bikes themselves would make for improvised weapons, or at the very least be used as a shield. These guys were underprepared and devoid of the mental tools to deal with adversity, when your answer to such a dire circumstance is to scurry away and call emergency services then you shouldn't be out there in the first place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by artie View Post
I thought in the states you can carry handguns or maybe not that state.
Washington is an open-carry State according to the Wikipedia entry.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_laws_in_Washington
Old 05-20-2018, 03:10 PM
Banned

How many here have been in this situation and can say without reserve they would stand and do something? Perhaps there was nothing to hit the cat with ? except throwing the bike at it, But whatever the situation was take a breath and be careful judging someone else about this attack , ,maybe the run away was handicapped who knows ? I like to think I would have stood my ground BUT i do not know the circumstances , therefore I refuse to judge!
Old 05-20-2018, 03:12 PM
Banned

So sad
Old 05-20-2018, 03:30 PM

Another article (including video) on this story ... http://komonews.com/news/local/crews...ear-north-bend

Selkirk
Old 05-20-2018, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushrat View Post
Different news reports.
Still haven't seen one as you described it.
Old 05-20-2018, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sage 13 View Post
Still haven't seen one as you described it.
That's ok, I reported what they said at that time, they were reporting it as breaking news and would give more details as information became available. It was KOMO TV, Seattle. I didn`t memorize it word for word, perhaps you could call them and ask for a transcript if it's important to you. The announcer reporting the story said one biker was being mauled, the other biker came over presumably to help him, the cat left the original victim and attacked the second biker, the original injured attack victim then got to his bike and rode away for help. The second biker died, the original biker who was the first to be attacked was in hospital with serious injuries at that time. I don't make the news, stories change as more information comes to light. That was at 5:30 AM this morning Alberta time, 4:30 AM Seattle time.
Old 05-20-2018, 07:45 PM

What a friend. Died protecting a friend who wouldn’t do the same for him

Hope he gets what he deserves
Old 05-21-2018, 08:16 AM

Default cougar

Sad story showing dangers in our woods. Did a review of fatal bear attacks and was surprising how many people were killed biking or running. It appears cougars and bears perceive a fleeing person is not a threat and encourages an attack.
Old 05-21-2018, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by srs123 View Post
What a friend. Died protecting a friend who wouldn’t do the same for him

Hope he gets what he deserves
From what I read, the survivor was initially attacked. His buddy left him and made a run for it. The cat's chase response kicked in and he left victim one and went off in pursuit of the other guy. The survivor seized this opportunity to flee on his bike.

It sounds to me like neither had any interest in anything but self preservation, however if I was being attacked and my buddy made a run for it I would have mixed emotions when the animal left me and went after the coward.

By the time the attack on victim two took place, victim one (the survivor) may have been in an uncontrollable state of shock. A person should not be held responsible for their actions when truly in shock. I have seen accident victims that didn't even know where they were or what had happened.
Old 05-21-2018, 10:18 AM
Banned

Be careful who you call coward , you never know what life has in store for you ! This is pathetic enough without accusations . When life is in the balance, strong men sometimes have weak reactions!
Old 05-21-2018, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by parfleche View Post
Be careful who you call coward , you never know what life has in store for you ! This is pathetic enough without accusations . When life is in the balance, strong men sometimes have weak reactions!
Accusations? The proof is in the pudding! Dude ran (cycled) away and didn't present a united front with his buddy, which was really the best option for both to survive. Buddy died as a result. That's a flat out coward however one cuts it.
Old 05-21-2018, 11:15 AM

Thumbs up This ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MK2750 View Post

From what I read, the survivor was initially attacked. His buddy left him and made a run for it. The cat's chase response kicked in and he left victim one and went off in pursuit of the other guy. The survivor seized this opportunity to flee on his bike.

It sounds to me like neither had any interest in anything but self preservation, however if I was being attacked and my buddy made a run for it I would have mixed emotions when the animal left me and went after the coward.

By the time the attack on victim two took place, victim one (the survivor) may have been in an uncontrollable state of shock. A person should not be held responsible for their actions when truly in shock. I have seen accident victims that didn't even know where they were or what had happened.

That ^

Some here are too quick to pull out the 'Coward' card ... and based only on a news article.
Sadly, it seems to be common practice here on the AOF.

Selkirk

Last edited by Selkirk; 05-21-2018 at 11:25 AM.
Old 05-21-2018, 11:26 AM

What really sad to see are the responses from the keyboard warriors here. I wanna see your reaction when your head gets into the lions mouth, I bet that beside a huge load in your pants you won’t think of much anything at all! It’s easy to judge the attacked person sitting home and reading the story in a paper.
You never know how your body going to react under the Adrenalin shock. Even if you have a rifle in your hands. These two poor buggers had no means of defending themselves. And the first reaction of an untrained person in a cituation like this is to run. Just plain human physiology.
Very tragic story.

Last edited by sns2; 05-23-2018 at 11:18 PM. Reason: swearing
Old 05-21-2018, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MK2750 View Post

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selkirk View Post
That ^

Some here are too quick to pull out the 'Coward' card ... and based only on a news article.
Sadly, it seems to be common practice here on the AOF.

Selkirk
Quote:
Originally Posted by KGB View Post
What really sad to see are the responses from the keyboard warriors here! For f sake guys, seriously? I wanna see your reaction when your head gets into the lions mouth, I bet that beside a huge load in your pants you won’t think of much anything at all! It’s easy to judge the attacked person sitting home and reading the story in a paper.
You never know how your body going to react under the Adrenalin shock. Even if you have a rifle in your hands. These two poor buggers had no means of defending themselves. And the first reaction of an untrained person in a cituation like this is to run. Just plain human physiology.
Very tragic story.
These posts ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ thumbs up!

One survived one did not. Sad day for them and their families.

made in Alberta__ born n raised.

FS-Tinfool hats by the roll.
Old 05-21-2018, 01:14 PM
Banned

I bet there isn't one guy on this site that is capable of holding a 10lb domestic cat in their lap if it decided to freak out and half of them would probably pee their pants if attacked by one but here we are talking about fending off a Cougar with an intent to kill. Hmmmm ya right......
Old 05-21-2018, 01:42 PM

So as reported the survivor was attacked first and suffered wounds , his friend ran away and was attacked and killed . The survivor cycled away to safety .

So did the survivor see his friend killed and then cycled away ? Or was the survivors bleeding scalp peeled 3/4 off his head and hanging over his eyes and disoriented so he reacted the way he did ? The truth is we don't know how it exactly unfolded .

We weren't there so to label someone a coward is dumb thing to say .
Old 05-21-2018, 01:44 PM

The keyboard warrior thing go both ways fellas.

What parent here would run away as their child is being attacked by a cougar? That's where my perspective is coming from, take it or leave it but I'm fully entitled to hold such a belief. I've also had plenty of instances where I've been running towards a problem rather than fleeing it so I know exactly where my cojones are when the poop hits the fan. Sometimes fleeing is absolutely the right thing to do (take an uncontrollable fire for one instance) but in this instance I maintain that a united front was the best chance for both to survive. A simple $35 can of bear spray could have saved his buddy for Pete's sake. An ounce of prevention is much cheaper than a funeral home invoice.

The scenario that maybe the survivor knew the other fellow was already dead is plausible and has merit, but if it wasn't the case......

Last edited by CaberTosser; 05-21-2018 at 01:50 PM.
Old 05-21-2018, 01:52 PM

I think the term is arm chair quarterbacking, or Monday morning quarterbacking is appropriate .

We can pontificate upon what has been reported.
Or,

If you’ve ever had first hand knowledge of an event being reported by the media, you’d know damn well that the media is big on hype and slim on facts 80% of the time.

One guy got mauled, and one guy got killed, that’s all I can gleen for facts outta this.

The dead guy is still in the morgue, yet we wish to wring our hands in his blood.

Sad state of affairs for humanity I’d say.

There are no absolutes
Old 05-21-2018, 02:07 PM

Quote:
How many here have been in this situation and can say without reserve they would stand and do something? Perhaps there was nothing to hit the cat with ? except throwing the bike at it, But whatever the situation was take a breath and be careful judging someone else about this attack , ,maybe the run away was handicapped who knows ? I like to think I would have stood my ground BUT i do not know the circumstances , therefore I refuse to judge!

x2. Lots of slef-described macho man types posting but not one of them knows what they'd do in the event of a wild animal attack. Same guys who would have run into the Florida school with their handguns to easily subdue the shooter I guess. Didn't Trump actually state that that's what HE would have done?
Old 05-21-2018, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weedy1 View Post
I bet there isn't one guy on this site that is capable of holding a 10lb domestic cat in their lap if it decided to freak out and half of them would probably pee their pants if attacked by one but here we are talking about fending off a Cougar with an intent to kill. Hmmmm ya right......

Well said.