Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 01-25-2018, 04:37 PM

Thumbs down 3 Hours of White Knuckle Lunacy!

Holy crap!
I just made her to DV from Lake Abraham in a bit over 3 Hours.(usually takes 2.25hrs)

First it was following Miss Mamby Pamby, who was so knicker knotted she would wind it up to 80K, then slow down to 50K. It’s not like anybody was in front of her, or that the 1/2” of powder was any more dangerous than my running up her 6, multiple times, I finally got a spot to pass her at a whopping 70K, and sailed through to The Sunchild Rd averaging around 80-85K. The Sunchild was very good till I made the Brazeau County line. It doesn’t look like the County has any plough trucks running, as there’s 6-8” of un touched powder on the County roads all the way through to DV.(I stayed off 620 as soon as I could get off it)

A couple things. Stay home if you don’t have to go out, let the guys who must drive for work have an easier time, especially if you haven’t got clue one about winter driving!

And secondly take her easy out there folks, there isn’t a pile of resources being thrown at this storm event. The roads can and do suck in some spots.

There are no absolutes

Last edited by Dick284; 01-25-2018 at 05:01 PM.
Old 01-25-2018, 08:01 PM

So in the same post you telling people to drive for the conditions but then being critical of someone who actually was?
Old 01-25-2018, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes_G View Post
So in the same post you telling people to drive for the conditions but then being critical of someone who actually was?

Oh, were you there?

Have a nice evening

There are no absolutes
Old 01-25-2018, 08:44 PM

Glad you made it home safe Dick. It sure was a sketchy one tonight. I got lucky and had to work late and not travel in the rush.
Old 01-25-2018, 08:55 PM

On the road from Rupert to Edmonton now be careful out there wherever you are. As a heads up to prince g was a rink.
Old 01-25-2018, 09:12 PM
Banned

Take a drive down hwy 40 if you want a hair pulling experience.
Old 01-25-2018, 10:00 PM

Quote:
i can understand where DICK is coming from. Anytime you are driving in tough conditions you are expecting predictable behaviour. What messes up most people is when the person in front is jerky and unpredictable.

Anyhow keep safe, those 5 minutes saved are not worth the trouble until unless you are 21 and your girl is waiting for you.
Old 01-25-2018, 10:23 PM

Snowing hard here, 4-5", and still coming down. Will be fun driving in the morning.
Old 01-25-2018, 10:42 PM
Banned

Quote:
x2
Old 01-25-2018, 10:46 PM

Drove from North Edmonton to South Edmonton....I would recommend staying off the Henday and take through City streets to get where you are going. Henday is one lane all the way around....other lane completely snow covered.

LC
Old 01-25-2018, 11:15 PM

It’s ugly out... stay safe out there ,
Old 01-26-2018, 12:16 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtiwana View Post
i can understand where DICK is coming from. Anytime you are driving in tough conditions you are expecting predictable behaviour. What messes up most people is when the person in front is jerky and unpredictable.

Anyhow keep safe, those 5 minutes saved are not worth the trouble until unless you are 21 and your girl is waiting for you.
I don't understand why people hit their brakes going down the hills and then they end up spinning out going up the other side.
Old 01-26-2018, 05:38 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Arrive alive...2 hrs or 6 hrs to get someplace is worth getting there alive...or cancel and stay put....gotta engage the grey matter cuz you will share the road with an idiot or two....120kmhs and cell phone just a texting away...

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 01-26-2018, 07:44 AM

:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick284 View Post
Holy crap!
I just made her to DV from Lake Abraham in a bit over 3 Hours.(usually takes 2.25hrs)

First it was following Miss Mamby Pamby, who was so knicker knotted she would wind it up to 80K, then slow down to 50K. It’s not like anybody was in front of her, or that the 1/2” of powder was any more dangerous than my running up her 6, multiple times, I finally got a spot to pass her at a whopping 70K, and sailed through to The Sunchild Rd averaging around 80-85K. The Sunchild was very good till I made the Brazeau County line. It doesn’t look like the County has any plough trucks running, as there’s 6-8” of un touched powder on the County roads all the way through to DV.(I stayed off 620 as soon as I could get off it)

A couple things. Stay home if you don’t have to go out, let the guys who must drive for work have an easier time, especially if you haven’t got clue one about winter driving!

And secondly take her easy out there folks, there isn’t a pile of resources being thrown at this storm event. The roads can and do suck in some spots.
LOL, how much time did you save doing 85km/h? and then lastly saying to take it easy folks?? As bad as the roads are, the last thing I would do is pass someone in these conditions
Old 01-26-2018, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Oh, were you there?

Have a nice evening

No I wasn't, I can only go by what you're saying.

Sometime I don't understand why some people drive the way they do either. But I do know that people drive for however they feel comfortable for the conditions. By the sounds of your post, you were more comfortable with them then the other driver was, but were still only comfortable enough to be driving 80-85 yourself, so I am sure that you "running up her 6, Multiple times" wasn't helping the situation.

Personally when someone is tailgating me, even when going over the speed limit, I drive slower on purpose just to **** them off.

I just read a whole lot of contradiction in your post and it seemed to need to be pointed out.
Old 01-26-2018, 08:31 AM
Banned

Quote:
Holy crap!

It's incumbent on you to drive as SAFE AS YOU CAN.
If she felt she was DRIVING AS SAFE as she could, that is what she should be doing.
They usually aren't the people who have accidents, it's the people who are so impatient that they do stupid passes and such and have the accident, then whine the other person caused the accident.
No one twisted their arm to pass.
Old 01-26-2018, 08:46 AM
Banned

I plow snow for a living in the winter so I am always driving to town(20 miles) to get to work in the middle of a blizzard at 1 A.M.. I drive to the conditions, if it takes an hour then that`s what it takes. I ain`t dying to get to work.

And I got to tell you , the more snow, the stupider people get. You would not believe the dummies I come across while running a Cat loader with a 14 foot pusher.I`m coming down a hill, taking up the whole road to plow them out and they see me and STILL turn on to come up. So we end up stopped, car to loader. I can`t back up and if I could I`d leave a 12 wide by 6 foot high pile of snow. So they give me the finger and back down the road. One day I might just not stop. One day.....................

Last edited by Fisherpeak; 01-26-2018 at 08:52 AM.
Old 01-26-2018, 09:32 AM

Quote:

Personally when someone is tailgating me, even when going over the speed limit, I drive slower on purpose just to **** them off.
Why?
Your part of the problem, not some warped part of your own solution.
Why not let them pass?
Then, theyre either safely out of your space, or, you can triumphantly give them the finger as you pass their wreck up on the next curve...if that makes your day.
Either way, you're not willfully attempting to incite road rage, as you've admitted here.

I understand frustration of following behind a driver or vehicle that isn't comfortable or cant handle the road conditions, especially when I've spent the money on tires and a rig built just for the type of driving that I know we will inevitably face in our winter driving season.

What I don't understand, is a driver WILLFULLY making the roads truly unsafe by having some kind of "God of the road" complex.
I bet it feels great to get home and tell the wife how you "really P%%%ed some guy off on the highway today!!"

If you can safely slow down, give someone else room to pass, and let everyone get on with the drive...why not?

Just because you might not have decent tires, or are perhaps a nervous, easily agitated driver, doesn't give you license to police traffic flow.

Reserve that for drivers who have the letters RCMP, or SHERIFF on the side of their car.

Purposefully and willfully trying to incite road rage, man, your part of the problem, and potentially a very dangerous one.

That having been said...I'll be out on the highway this morning, probably driving a bit under the speed limit, we'll see.
What I WON'T be doing, is slowing down on purpose, impeding the guy behind me just to I can play some kind of sick mind games with other drivers on the road.

Sorry if I'm over reacting, but I can't believe someone would think this is a proper way to conduct themselves while driving.
I hope anyone who actually does this on the road, really considers the potential consequences of their actions.
Old 01-26-2018, 09:36 AM

Just because it's snowing doesn't mean we all have to drive 30 km/hr. Oh wait, it does.
Old 01-26-2018, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by happy honker View Post
Why?
Your part of the problem, not some warped part of your own solution.
Why not let them pass?
Then, theyre either safely out of your space, or, you can triumphantly give them the finger as you pass their wreck up on the next curve...if that makes your day.
Either way, you're not willfully attempting to incite road rage, as you've admitted here.

I understand frustration of following behind a driver or vehicle that isn't comfortable or cant handle the road conditions, especially when I've spent the money on tires and a rig built just for the type of driving that I know we will inevitably face in our winter driving season.

What I don't understand, is a driver WILLFULLY making the roads truly unsafe by having some kind of "God of the road" complex.
I bet it feels great to get home and tell the wife how you "really P%%%ed some guy off on the highway today!!"

If you can safely slow down, give someone else room to pass, and let everyone get on with the drive...why not?

Just because you might not have decent tires, or are perhaps a nervous, easily agitated driver, doesn't give you license to police traffic flow.

Reserve that for drivers who have the letters RCMP, or SHERIFF on the side of their car.

Purposefully and willfully trying to incite road rage, man, your part of the problem, and potentially a very dangerous one.

That having been said...I'll be out on the highway this morning, probably driving a bit under the speed limit, we'll see.
What I WON'T be doing, is slowing down on purpose, impeding the guy behind me just to I can play some kind of sick mind games with other drivers on the road.

Sorry if I'm over reacting, but I can't believe someone would think this is a proper way to conduct themselves while driving.
I hope anyone who actually does this on the road, really considers the potential consequences of their actions.

Save your wind as you’ll never drive the point home with the SJW crowd.

There are no absolutes
Old 01-26-2018, 10:19 AM

Dick

Glad you got back okay. As far as people who drive too slow and worse yet, erratically, they are a bigger danger than the road conditions. These people should stay OFF the roads completely. They should also be willing to pull over and let faster traffic by if they are caught out there and can't get off till the next town. Holding up other traffic for long distances in hard to pass conditions is a sure recipe for something bad to happen.

I feel sorry for guys like Fisherspeak that have to put up with unthinking idiots on a regular basis. Seems driving skills and most of all common courtesy and manners really are disappearing.
Old 01-26-2018, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
Dick

Holding up other traffic for long distances in hard to pass conditions is a sure recipe for something bad to happen.

Yuuuup its called "patience". You,ll get there eventually!.I sure don't get whats with the passing in these conditions. Ive witnessed many people passing like idiots only to end up in a ditch or lose control for no reason at all. Is a extra hour gonna make that much of a difference? Sure ,everyone may not have the experience to drive in these conditions but why put everyone in a dangerous situation?
Old 01-26-2018, 10:42 AM

Quote:
I would hardly call myself a social justice warrior, I just don't think a longer response is worth me time. But I do need to ask is adding more danger by tailgating a vehicle while driving on already bad road conditions actually a good idea to you?
Old 01-26-2018, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Quickest way to melt a snowflake?

Disagree with them on an open forum

Keep driving safe buddy!!

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 01-26-2018, 11:16 AM

Quote:
I would hardly call myself a social justice warrior, I just don't think a longer response is worth me time. But I do need to ask is adding more danger by tailgating a vehicle while driving on already bad road conditions actually a good idea to you?
Who or where did I say I was intentionally tail gating Miss Mamby Pamby?

Her own actions through speeding up and slowing down for no good reason(nobody in front of her) and the plume of blowing snow behind her, resulted in me closing the gap upon her as I was trying to maintain a reasonable speed for the road conditions(coulda done 90K easily btw). If she had maintained a steady pace, it wouldn’t have happened. She was a clear menace on the road, she made it necessary that I pass her, to put her dangerous actions in in my rear view. The fact I had to wait till the wind blew her plume of snow to the right so I could finally see safely past her, meant I passed safely.

I gotta go shovel snow, good day!

There are no absolutes
Old 01-26-2018, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
Quickest way to melt a snowflake?

Disagree with them on an open forum

Keep driving safe buddy!!
Zackley

There are no absolutes
Old 01-26-2018, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Zackley
Too many zackley's running around here lately

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 01-26-2018, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norwest Alta View Post
Take a drive down hwy 40 if you want a hair pulling experience.
Yup take Hwy 40 South of GP if you want a good drive....

I live in RMH - Its like a leisurely drive compared to 40.
Old 01-26-2018, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K45 View Post
Yup take Hwy 40 South of GP if you want a good drive....

I live in RMH - Its like a leisurely drive compared to 40.
Grande Cache to Hinton must be a real treat in today's weather, at least its better in daylight. Night would truly SUCK.
Old 01-26-2018, 12:06 PM

Oooh it snowed north of the 49th... meh...
40 miles of this this morning. I always say it could be worse..

Last edited by 1899b; 01-26-2018 at 12:14 PM.