Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 05-22-2018, 10:57 PM

Default Looking for a new 22 mag. Any sugestions

Looking for recomendations for a 22 mag. What are you guys shooting and what is accurate for a decent priced rifle? Was thinking a CZ?
Old 05-22-2018, 11:06 PM

I tried several .22 mags. Accuracy was definitely an issue with most of them, especially when comparing to a simple .22 LR. The only one I kept was a CZ 455 in .22 mag. It shoots groups comparable to any sub 600$ .22 LR.
It even shoots the lightweight, high speed gopher bombs very well.
Definitely worth a try.
Old 05-22-2018, 11:18 PM
Banned

I got a Ruger American Rimfire Target in 22wmr a couple weeks ago, I’m fairly happy so far. Good ergonomics, was able to get away with 50mm objective scope high rings without wanting to put a cheek piece on. Trigger is decent, it uses a rotary mag like the 10/22 which feeds very smooth.

Using CCI 40gr Maxi Mags I’m shooting a ragged hole at 50yds with the odd flyer. Those flyers really ruin 100yd groups though, I’ve had a couple that were gonna be real nice until it flings one 2 inches to the left. I’ve had 17hmr rifles in the past that were better shooters but I do like this thing.

I’m not real impressed with those jacketed hollow points on gophers though, not an instant kill without a headshot. They don’t get the expansion, need to try some of the 30gr vmax maybe.

https://www.cabelas.ca/product/97361...-rimfire-rifle
Old 05-22-2018, 11:47 PM

What do you plan to use it for?

"Me neither but it's all in the eye of the beer holder"
norwestalta

.....out of bounds.....but funny none the less!

LC

"Funny how when a bear eats another bear, no one bats an eye, but......

when a human eats another human, people act like it's the end if the friggin world. News coverage, tweets, blogs, outrage, Piers Morgan etcetc.

Go figure." -Huntinstuff
Old 05-23-2018, 12:35 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by nube View Post
Looking for recomendations for a 22 mag. What are you guys shooting and what is accurate for a decent priced rifle? Was thinking a CZ?
Pretty happy with my magnum research from pr.
Old 05-23-2018, 05:41 AM

Search should begin and end with CZ. Look around for one with nicer wood than a popsicle stick. They do exist.
Old 05-23-2018, 07:11 AM
Banned

Used a old marlin for beaver. Worked good and a guy wasn’t to worried about it getting banged around in the boat.
Old 05-23-2018, 07:25 AM

my savage 93 is a good shooting rifle. i just use the open sights as i haven't mounted my scope on it yet.
Old 05-23-2018, 07:29 AM

I would be going with a CZ. Of course you could get Troy Landry edition Savage.Choot em!
Old 05-23-2018, 07:32 AM

I love plinking and varmint control with my Henry pump .22 mag.
Old 05-23-2018, 07:47 AM

I've always had a soft spot for the Ruger 77/22 rifles, a bit pricey though, as well as being discontinued. I do know a place that still has a new one in .22mag, the price is around $1,100 I think and no open sights.
I'm sure the CZ455 family is more consistently accurate out of the box, most come with open sights, and around $600 I believe.

Browning T bolts are another nice rimfire for $7-800, thur synthetic stocked versions come with a second magazine in the buttstock, but the wood stocks are pretty classy. I have not fired a T bolt
Old 05-23-2018, 08:32 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetwaiter View Post
I got a Ruger American Rimfire Target in 22wmr a couple weeks ago, I’m fairly happy so far. Good ergonomics, was able to get away with 50mm objective scope high rings without wanting to put a cheek piece on. Trigger is decent, it uses a rotary mag like the 10/22 which feeds very smooth.

Using CCI 40gr Maxi Mags I’m shooting a ragged hole at 50yds with the odd flyer. Those flyers really ruin 100yd groups though, I’ve had a couple that were gonna be real nice until it flings one 2 inches to the left. I’ve had 17hmr rifles in the past that were better shooters but I do like this thing.

I’m not real impressed with those jacketed hollow points on gophers though, not an instant kill without a headshot. They don’t get the expansion, need to try some of the 30gr vmax maybe.

https://www.cabelas.ca/product/97361...-rimfire-rifle

What he say's about flyers.
I've got a Savage 93FVSS heavy barrel with a Nikon X-Black 4-16 scope, Harris Bibod and everything torqued to proper specs.
Had it out this Sunday and had a great day. Shot one of the Hornady 4-bull targets at 100m and all four 5 shot groups were just under an inch. (I consider the gun to be a consistent 1moa shooter at 100m.
But a miore typical day is three or four shots in one tight group...and then THE FLYER which opens it up to 1.5-2"
I've had the best luck with the Remington 40gr JHP and the Hornady V-Max.
Old 05-23-2018, 08:51 AM

Here's another vote for CZ.
Old 05-23-2018, 09:06 AM

If it is a gun that will be taken good care of, get the CZ. Accurate and pretty both. If it is going to be used on a trap line or otherwise abused get a Savage. Every bit as accurate as the CZ, not near as pretty and less than half the price.

The big problem with the 22 MAg is the ammo. There is no such thing as match grade 22 Mag, thus it will shoot some types of ammo fairly well but you will always have the flyer issues, even in the ammo that groups the best.Give some serious thought to getting a 22 Hornet instead. Far better accuracy and overlll performance.
Old 05-23-2018, 09:44 AM
Banned

savage bolts are bang for buck accuracy champs in .22 lr so imagine similar story for the mag, i think you're on right track with the cz though...i have a .17 hmr since very first came available and it's been a tack driver with good feel and enough quality built in for some decent pride of ownership...something the savages lack, i vote cz

i had a ruger 77/22 lr that was a gem also, once broken in, little less accurate until load found and it preferred sub sonics, nice little rifle/action/magazine/wood/feel etc. trigger ok but heavy from recollection
Old 05-23-2018, 09:47 AM

Ya it is going to get banged around. I am not much for worrying what a stock looks like. As long as it is accurate. I hear a lot of good from savage and CZ it seems.
Thanks for the info guys
Old 05-23-2018, 10:43 AM

For a bang about for sure the Savage. They come with synthetic stock and Stainless barrel for the ultimate bad condition gun.
Old 05-23-2018, 10:44 AM

Although I have seen a couple of sub moa rifles in 22mag( sub moa every day, not just on good days), the 22 hornet offers much better accuracy potential. Even the 22lr is a better choice for accuracy. For a gun that will get rough treatment, a stainless synthetic Savage is a good choice.
Old 05-23-2018, 10:48 AM

I've owned a Savage 93FV in 22WMR, but have shot another Savage in that caliber, and a CZ. Ran at least 9 varieties of ammo through my Savage on a solid rest @ 100 yards. I'm of the strong opinion that 22WMR is not an inherently accurate caliber. Unlike 22LR which you can da** near ALWAYS find an ammo type it likes...I believe that 22WMR is more of a crap shoot. That sub-MOA ammo option might not be out there. I couldn't get my rifle (or others I tried) to shoot under 1" reliably. Sure, I got a couple of 3/4" groups that felt like luck..but most were 1-1/4"-1-1/2". All that said, I like 22WMR and hope to add another to the collection one day. Since I'm not in love with the caliber...I don't see spending CZ-level $..but I've heard the Zastavas in that caliber are considered good, as are the old Mossberg Chucksters. Unless I found a Ruger American in that caliber at a good price...I'd probably pick one of those.
Old 05-23-2018, 12:15 PM

I have a CZ 455 it is quite accurate...and dealing on a second.

BE VERY careful with SHOOTEM ammo...ricochets real bad and hits are less then stellar on gophers lots of walking wounded...seems to be pretty hard lead in them....and I like CCI stuff but will not buy it for those two reasons.
- older 6x fixed scopes with fine X or target dot.
Old 05-23-2018, 12:50 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.5 shooter View Post
I have a CZ 455 it is quite accurate...and dealing on a second.

BE VERY careful with SHOOTEM ammo...ricochets real bad and hits are less then stellar on gophers lots of walking wounded...seems to be pretty hard lead in them....and I like CCI stuff but will not buy it for those two reasons.
if ricochet control and rimfires go .17 hmr with the v-max, i use the 17 gr tnt as it seems ideal for beavers/coyotes as the 20 gr xtp was just poking holes and wanted quicker performance on the coyotes, tnt seems in the middle of frangible explosive v-max vs delayed controlled expansion of xtp, have not found any reason to complain about the performance of the tnt load for years and years now on coyotes, just front end em and you'll find em close every time
Old 05-23-2018, 01:50 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhogger View Post
I'm of the strong opinion that 22WMR is not an inherently accurate caliber. Unlike 22LR which you can da** near ALWAYS find an ammo type it likes...I believe that 22WMR is more of a crap shoot. That sub-MOA ammo option might not be out there.
I actually wonder if that’s not a by product of the limited choice. If I go down to the Calgary Cabelas I’ve got 3 or 4 choices for 22wmr and at least 3 of them are manufactured by CCI. For 22lr I’ve got probably 20 and then almost that many again at the CT next door. Much larger selection of 17hmr too. Maybe if enough of us get on the 22wmr bandwagon they’ll start giving us more choices.

I chose mine as spur of the moment deal, I liked the stock. I wanted a rimfire other than my 22lr but I’ve had a couple 17hmr before so I decided to try something new I have a 22wmr pistol that I like so I figured what the heck. Having had it out to the gopher patch once I’m definitely not going to retire my 223 any time but it’s a fun little thing in it’s own way.
Old 05-23-2018, 03:02 PM
Banned

Phil I'd look for a older savage or a marlin before all this plastic junk. I used to have one until I loaned it and forgot who I loaned it to. Nice fixed 4x scope and you're set to go.

Ps if any of you dirty dogs borrowed a 22mag from me please return.
Thanks
Old 05-23-2018, 03:25 PM

Thanks Northwest.
I think I will either go with a savage or CZ
I don't like the idea or spending 500 bucks or more but I think a CZ should shoot good at least.
Savage seems like ti should shoot well also and a few hundred less.
I just know the old norinco I got now is a piece of crud lol Trigger pull a mile long and never know when it's going to go off.

Anyone know what an old norinco is worth I got one for sale lol
Old 05-23-2018, 06:06 PM
Banned

I had the CZ one time and it was a shooter ! sold it years ago . Now I use a Ruger 77/22 in .22 mag zytel stock , they may not be that pretty but its a working gun for trapping and beaver , the ammo it likes is the Winchester supreme , It will kill! In fact all my working guns are Ruger with zytel stock or boat paddle as they are called .22 .22 mag .223 .270
Old 05-23-2018, 06:40 PM

I have a CZ 512 semi auto. It is a beaverslayer. Works great for butchering beef as well.
Old 05-23-2018, 07:17 PM

If Troy Landry shoots alligators with a 22 lr it must work for beavers too.

If you look after guns like Garrett, you better a piece of junk. LOL.

Speaking of which he has my son's 22.
Old 05-23-2018, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post

The Landry's use the 22 mag for alligators.
Old 05-23-2018, 08:59 PM

If you don't care about looks, keep your eyes open for an old Mossberg 640. I've had three or four, and every one shot remarkably well. They came in several variations, from single shot to magazine fed, and even to a very rare Mannlicher version.

If you want a bit prettier, watch for a Winchester 9422M. Again, I've had two and both shot surprisingly well. They're a bit 'pretty' though, for my kind of use; you feel real bad if they get muddy or dinged up.

I still have a Mossberg and a 9422M; both are solid keepers.
Old 05-23-2018, 09:02 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post

Shot a few beaver in the past with a few different guns. 300 wby really lifts them up but a 22mag I think is the best.