Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 05-21-2018, 08:08 AM

Default Adopting another male dog

I’m looking for a new pup this summer. What’s your opinion on bringing a male puppy into a family with another adult male dog?
Old 05-21-2018, 08:17 AM

Look for a female is my opinion. Will be an easier transition for everyone
“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.” John Stuart Mill
Old 05-21-2018, 05:36 PM

I'd agree if you said two females. Two males, not so much. Varies obviously.
Old 05-21-2018, 06:11 PM
Banned

I think it depends on the temperament of both dogs, if the dogs are fixed, etc.

Last summer we brought a 10 month old male dog, who was fixed, in to the house with my adult male dog. They are now the best of friends and play together all the time. The sleep sided by side, in separate kennels, but will even curl up together on the bed with me or the wife when we have a nap.

I don’t know, maybe I’m the exception but it’s worked for me.
Old 05-21-2018, 07:48 PM

It may be a problem if both males are alpha. If one of them surrenders his alpha status and submits there will be peace in the valley but there will always be a potential for a blood bath if the pecking order is not resolved.

I once tried to cope with two very alpha dogs and flare ups often occurred with just a look.
Old 05-21-2018, 10:23 PM

No matter what dog you get introduce them in a neutral place, and take them both for a walk with you as leader. The more walks and training together for both dogs the better. The dogs should be fed together but with space between them. Helps to create the pack. Also take away any high value items like bones that could create an issue until they both settle in.

When you bring the new dog home Id leave him in the kennel quite a bit until he has adjusted to the new surroundings.(kids, your dog, you and the wife, etc...) This might sound cruel but an enclosed kennel will help the dog feel secure and give him a secure place to go to if he gets worried or anxious. Make sure you leave the kennel door open if he's out so he can go in and out of it freely. Both dogs should not be out together in the house for a few days. So you will have to kennel the other one as well during the transition period.

Once both have gotten used to each other in the kennels they'll still need to establish who's the dominant one between the two of them. The key here is for you to be alpha and both of them are below you. Hopefully that will prevent any major incidents. If they start to get out of hand you need to be able to stop it with commands. This is where training them together comes in handy.
“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.” John Stuart Mill
Old 05-22-2018, 10:31 PM

Well we decided to go with a female pup. The two dogs seem to be getting along ok. I did take the extra effort to introduce them in a somewhat neutral location. So far so good.
Old 05-23-2018, 07:27 AM

Awesome, congrats on the new pup!
Old 05-23-2018, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M70 View Post
Well we decided to go with a female pup. The two dogs seem to be getting along ok. I did take the extra effort to introduce them in a somewhat neutral location. So far so good.
A new puppy is always a lot of work but I envy you. Puppy time is special time. Enjoy!
Old 05-26-2018, 04:16 PM

only ever a problem if one of the two dogs is a border collie, otherwise shouldnt be a problem