Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 05-08-2018, 10:44 AM

My dog grabbed a magpie just after it took flight from the yard. Was really happy to see that’s.

Ps. Anyone want to buy traps, I’m helping bill sell his traps. As is in the misc. sale thread.
Old 05-21-2018, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaberTosser View Post
2018 magpies: at least 3 eggs, if not more. Scatter from the height was a factor.

I notice a similarly attended magpie nest in a neighbors tree but of course I'll have to ask him prior to helping him out with the infestation.

Stay tuned!
Teamed up with my neighbor two doors down and yarded down a huge magpie nest out of his tree. I was surprised there was still an adult bird in there after we had been poking at it with the telescoping tree pruner off my 12' ladder for a while. I eventually gave up at that due to how dense the nest and tree branches were and got my extension ladder and yarded it out by hand.

-4 magpie chicks. New total for me so far this year is 7, possibly 8
Old 05-21-2018, 03:47 PM

When I lived out of town I pounded a wooden fence post into the ground about 6 ft high. Has to be high enough so the neighborhood cats couldn't reach the top. Attach a small leg hold trap, don't even need bait. The magpies being curious land on it figuring it's something to eat.. Then wack em over the head with a stick.
Old 05-22-2018, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Red 250 View Post
When I lived out of town I pounded a wooden fence post into the ground about 6 ft high. Has to be high enough so the neighborhood cats couldn't reach the top. Attach a small leg hold trap, don't even need bait. The magpies being curious land on it figuring it's something to eat.. Then wack em over the head with a stick.
Haha that’s a good idea! I once had a magpie in a leg hold trap at a coyote set. I was pretty jacked even though I had to redo the set. Got the manged coyote few days later.
Old 05-22-2018, 08:28 AM

magpies tried twice to make a nest in my neighbors big spruce tree. The squirrels were having none of that and ripped the nest apart and it was scattered on my driveway. The magpies built another nest and the squirrels tore that one down and the magpies moved on. There are some songbirds nesting on the ends of the spruce tree branches hope the squirrels do not kill the young but I have read they do.
Old 05-22-2018, 08:32 AM

The squirrels are just a bad a pest as the magpies. Tree rats
Old 05-22-2018, 03:04 PM

Redneck 7

I'd happily buy a trap if we can get one to Calgary. I'll prepay if you can get me one to Calgary that I can pickup. I have a smaller Halfords trap that only works on the small dumb ones. Magpies are the bane of my existence. They are the Taliban of the bird world. I can't believe some people let them nest on their property. They are the only critter I get satisfaction out of dispatching, especially juveniles via a hockey stick. Sherwood 5030 being the weapon on choice! This weekend I actually saw a big old Raven with a magpie is his beak tearing it to shreds on the street in our Cul de sac. Must have been 20 of the magpies friends squawking at the Raven! No problem with Magpie Killing Ravens!

Barring that I'd happily pick up a 24 pack or jar whiskey etc for a Calgary member to lend me a trap for a few weeks of enjoyment
Old 05-22-2018, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBE View Post
The squirrels are just a bad a pest as the magpies. Tree rats
I hear you when they climb the stucco walls on the house and run around on the roof at 5 a.m. it gets annoying. On the flip side they seem to be easy to trap.
Old 05-22-2018, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex811 View Post
I'm a Bad neighbor...I like magpies, crows and ravens. I have no issues with them and would much rather have them around my property than songbirds, sparrows and the like.
I live in NW Calgary, and although it's frowned upon by my neighbors and there's even Bylaws in place, I feed these awesome birds simply to attract them and keep them on my property...as much as a birds stays on a property.
If I could, I'd build nests/habitat for them so that they'd remain on my property year round.
Good thing the OP and I aren't neighbors.
I really like shooting magpies, and crows. I really like neighbors that attract them so I don't have to.
FYI https://www.cplea.ca/the-neighbour-s...ng-at-magpies/

Nora Loreto 6:49 PM 8 Apr. 2018
Old 05-23-2018, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawibunga View Post
Redneck 7

I'd happily buy a trap if we can get one to Calgary. I'll prepay if you can get me one to Calgary that I can pickup. I have a smaller Halfords trap that only works on the small dumb ones. Magpies are the bane of my existence. They are the Taliban of the bird world. I can't believe some people let them nest on their property. They are the only critter I get satisfaction out of dispatching, especially juveniles via a hockey stick. Sherwood 5030 being the weapon on choice! This weekend I actually saw a big old Raven with a magpie is his beak tearing it to shreds on the street in our Cul de sac. Must have been 20 of the magpies friends squawking at the Raven! No problem with Magpie Killing Ravens!

Barring that I'd happily pick up a 24 pack or jar whiskey etc for a Calgary member to lend me a trap for a few weeks of enjoyment
I can get you bills number if you want. I’m working 11-3 in Fort McMurray all summer so I doubt I’ll have time to drive a trap down to you. If you ever come up to Edmonton, let me know.
Old 05-23-2018, 11:15 AM

for those advocating using at airsoft gun, pellet gun, etc... for the dispatch of the birds, keep in mind the OP is subject to Calgary bylaws. For those rusty on the subject (From Bylaw Number 20M88):
http://www.calgary.ca/CA/city-clerks...f?noredirect=1

"DANGEROUS AND UNLAWFUL PRACTICES
8. Unless otherwise lawfully authorized, no person shall convey a firearm, pellet gun, B.B. gun, air gun, or gas operated gun in which a round of ammunition for such a gun or firearm is in the chamber within the City.
9. (1) No person shall discharge a firearm, pellet gun, B.B. gun, air gun or a gas powered gun within the City.
..."

just a heads up
Old 05-23-2018, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grump View Post
for those advocating using at airsoft gun, pellet gun, etc... for the dispatch of the birds, keep in mind the OP is subject to Calgary bylaws. For those rusty on the subject (From Bylaw Number 20M88):
http://www.calgary.ca/CA/city-clerks...f?noredirect=1

"DANGEROUS AND UNLAWFUL PRACTICES
8. Unless otherwise lawfully authorized, no person shall convey a firearm, pellet gun, B.B. gun, air gun, or gas operated gun in which a round of ammunition for such a gun or firearm is in the chamber within the City.
9. (1) No person shall discharge a firearm, pellet gun, B.B. gun, air gun or a gas powered gun within the City.
..."

just a heads up
Funny how that bylaw would render the use of Hilti type explosive actuated tools as being unlawful.
Old 05-23-2018, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaberTosser View Post
Funny how that bylaw would render the use of Hilti type explosive actuated tools as being unlawful.
Ha! That's a great point - would be interesting to explore that with one of the city clerks and watch their facial expression.

My guess is that it wouldn't actually fall under the purview of this bylaw since it's not technically a firearm (explosive powder doesn't automatically = firearm) but it would be interesting to see their official take on it.
Old 05-24-2018, 08:11 AM

Default yep

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cook View Post
Sniper out the window with a pellet gun (safely of course).
100% let them have it with a pellet gun i have done this in town for my parents works good
Old 05-24-2018, 09:24 AM
Banned

weihrauch hw30s .177 full power, or webley alecto with the bleed screw turned in and 4 strokes

take your pick, squirrels, pigeons, magpies, barn/quanset safe, 30 yrds no prob but more ideal in that 10-20 yard range, tough to beat .177 pellet at 530-630 fps actual, don't want more, over-penetration and noise goes up too much

nice to always have one of these around for home pest control work, they double up as good gopher fun or even grouse too when the season opens