Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 01-26-2018, 06:23 AM

Default Boat from BC

Thinking of buying a boat in (from) BC. Is there a way to avoid paying PST. I will use it in BC. I am AB resident.
Old 01-26-2018, 06:28 AM
Banned

Should get the pst back if you register it or possibly have them deliver it to albeeria.
Old 01-26-2018, 07:17 AM
Banned

Register it to your addres in Alberta. No pst that way. I bought a brand new boat in SK last fall and only had to show my AB address to have the pst waived.
Old 01-26-2018, 07:26 AM

From a dealer or private sale?
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 01-26-2018, 07:34 AM

If you buy it from a dealer he will have a tax exempt form for you to sign and you are go .
Old 01-26-2018, 08:29 AM

Co-worker bought a used boat from a broker in BC. Dude claimed he paid all taxes, didn't and buddy was stuck with the bill. Get proper legal advice.
Old 01-26-2018, 08:37 AM

The only way to avoid paying PST for a boat purchased in BC is to have the seller ship the item to you in Alberta.
If you go down to pick up the boat they must charge you PST at point of sale.
Where the boat is "registered" has no bearing on this whatsoever.
The rule of thumb is if you physically take possession of the item in BC then you pay PST. If vendor arranges on your behalf to ship the item out for you ( directly out of province) then he/they may note that on the sale contract and that way avoid having to collect the PST.

Last edited by C2C3PO; 01-26-2018 at 08:37 AM. Reason: typo
Old 01-26-2018, 08:39 AM

Bought a boat privately out of Van years ago...about 2 years later I get a letter from Burnaby demanding PST. Apparently they tracked me down via the registration change. They didn't know what I paid but they knew I owed and if I couldn't come up with a priced bill of sale they would assess me based on market value (not knowing condition I'm not sure how they would do this). In speaking with the office they were quite surly and threatening.

Ended up having to track down the seller, get a letter that he delivered it to a trucking yard for forwarding to me in Calgary (this actually happened) and that I took possession in Calgary, not BC. The trucking company had since gone broke but I added a note about the location of their yard and the company name. Sent them all this and never heard from them again.

It seemed that where you took possession was a big deal.

Have since bought a truck from Van, there was a form I had to fill out proving I was not a BC resident (needed utility or property tax bill to prove it) and that the vehicle would not be BC registered for like a year. I had to pay PST but got it refunded 6 weeks later. Not sure if a boat and a vehicle are different now.

I'd suggest get legal advise...if you bugger it up they can hound you for a long time.
Zeke
Old 01-26-2018, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post
From a dealer or private sale?
Private sale. What if the seller brings the boat to AB and we make the deal in AB?
Old 01-26-2018, 02:03 PM

Default Tax exempt only if delivered to alberta

Tax exempt only if delivered to alberta

I had to pay Government TAX on full value of bill of sale.
after Registration. i got a tax bill in the mail.
with A note pay before this date. and any thing after that date A interest amount would be added to tax bill.

http://www.canadianvesselregistry.ca..._Vessel‎
Old 01-26-2018, 03:12 PM

Must be shipped out of BC to be exempt and the seller has to fill out this form or they'll come after you - https://www2.gov.bc.ca/assets/gov/ta...e-delivery.pdf
Old 01-26-2018, 04:29 PM

If there is a boat trailer involved, trailer registration may be a consideration. If the trailer has never been registered in AB and you are planning on doing this, the AB gov't will likely charge you +- $400 for a tandem trailer or something less for a single axle. Unless something has changed recently, the AB gov't will attach their own serial number on a trailer that has never been registered in AB and will not accept an out of province serial number - even it is clearly marked on the trailer.
Old 01-26-2018, 05:47 PM

why would there by any kind of tax involved in a private sale ?
Old 01-26-2018, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdog15 View Post
If there is a boat trailer involved, trailer registration may be a consideration. If the trailer has never been registered in AB and you are planning on doing this, the AB gov't will likely charge you +- $400 for a tandem trailer or something less for a single axle. Unless something has changed recently, the AB gov't will attach their own serial number on a trailer that has never been registered in AB and will not accept an out of province serial number - even it is clearly marked on the trailer.
Is this recent? I brought mine over after I got it from my brother in 2006. 14' boat on a single axle trailer, had no issues registering the trailer and no extra charges, trailer had always been registered in BC. Out of province serial number? That doesn't sound right to me. A serial number comes from the factory.

Oh, and no PST as the boat was "given" to me.
Old 01-26-2018, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbobbeck View Post
why would there by any kind of tax involved in a private sale ?
This is BC. If boat or vehicle changes ownership even 10 times, government takes tax 10 times. Depending on circumstances 7-12%. So watch voting, it could come to the neighbours next door.

Last edited by Iskra; 01-26-2018 at 06:12 PM.
Old 01-26-2018, 06:41 PM

As far as the trailer goes, I bought a boat and tandem trailer in Ontario 2016, brought it here and no hassle transfering registration. No tax on the boat either. Funny thing, the seller wrote me a bill of sale for the trailer for a buck as they pay PST on them in Ontario.
Old 01-26-2018, 06:48 PM

In the past three years I purchased two trailers from dealers, one boat trailer and one dual axle 18 ft trailer Signed a tax exempt form and paid NO PST gst only. Sold the boat trailer to a gent on Vancouver Island he had to pay the tax when he registered it. Sold the 18 ft. one in Alberta. NO PROBLEM. I don't see why it would be different for a boat. Bought lots of salvage Harley's from SGI.and the same no Saskatchewan pst.
Old 01-26-2018, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgavey View Post
In the past three years I purchased two trailers from dealers, one boat trailer and one dual axle 18 ft trailer Signed a tax exempt form and paid NO PST gst only. Sold the boat trailer to a gent on Vancouver Island he had to pay the tax when he registered it. Sold the 18 ft. one in Alberta. NO PROBLEM. I don't see why it would be different for a boat. Bought lots of salvage Harley's from SGI.and the same no Saskatchewan pst.
We are talking BC not Sask or Ontario. If you read other posts, you should get impression what we are talking about.
Old 01-27-2018, 12:13 AM

Default Taxes and Boats in BC

So, three years ago I bought a 16’ Crestliner on a single axle trailer. Needing insurance for the trailer, I went to the local ICBC office and told them what I was up to. They asked what the purchase price was, and I told them what I paid for boat and the trailer No, no, they said. We don’t need to know the value of the boat. What’s the trailer worth? I guessed that $1,000.00 would cover it. I was assessed taxes on the price of the trailer only. The boat didn’t come into play at all. Hope this helps.
CranePete
Old 01-27-2018, 12:41 AM
Banned

I don't know why a boat would be any different then a vehicle or gun. I've bought both in bc. Purchase of the vehicle was pst exempt and I had corlanes deliver any gun I've bought from them to Alberta and didn't have to pay pst. If you are charged it I think you can file a form and get it back.
Old 01-27-2018, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norwest Alta View Post
I don't know why a boat would be any different then a vehicle or gun. I've bought both in bc. Purchase of the vehicle was pst exempt and I had corlanes deliver any gun I've bought from them to Alberta and didn't have to pay pst. If you are charged it I think you can file a form and get it back.
That is what I have found so far.
https://www2.gov.bc.ca/assets/gov/ta...-108-boats.pdf
Old 01-27-2018, 08:06 AM

Both trailers were purchased IN BC not Sask or ONT. The harley's were bought in Sask. My point is If you are a Alberta resident you do not pay PST period.
Old 01-27-2018, 08:13 AM

Both trailers were purchased IN BC not Sask or ONT. The harley's were bought in Sask. My point is If you are a Alberta resident you do not pay PST period.
I bought a $30,000 harley in Montreal and drove it home Guess what NO PST.
where are you guys getting your info from? I have made tax exempt purchases in three different provinces , and two trailers were BOUGHT IN BRITISH COLOMBIA. Phil
Old 01-27-2018, 09:41 AM

[QUOTE=big zeke;3717202]Bought a boat privately out of Van years ago...about 2 years later I get a letter from Burnaby demanding PST. Apparently they tracked me down via the registration change. They didn't know what I paid but they knew I owed and if I couldn't come up with a priced bill of sale they would assess me based on market value (not knowing condition I'm not sure how they would do this). In speaking with the office they were quite surly and threatening.

Ended up having to track down the seller, get a letter that he delivered it to a trucking yard for forwarding to me in Calgary (this actually happened) and that I took possession in Calgary, not BC. The trucking company had since gone broke but I added a note about the location of their yard and the company name. Sent them all this and never heard from them again.

It seemed that where you took possession was a big deal.

Have since bought a truck from Van, there was a form I had to fill out proving I was not a BC resident (needed utility or property tax bill to prove it) and that the vehicle would not be BC registered for like a year. I had to pay PST but got it refunded 6 weeks later. Not sure if a boat and a vehicle are different now.

I'd suggest get legal advise...if you bugger it up they can hound you for a long time.
Zeke[/QUOTE
This guy and few others know what it is all about. AB residency does a little to do with it.