Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 01-26-2018, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
Grande Cache to Hinton must be a real treat in today's weather, at least its better in daylight. Night would truly SUCK.
40 south of GP in any weather is insane early am - evening. Bumper to bumper tankers, Hi boys, service trucks as far as you can see with the odd maniac trying to pass everybody.....unless you have drove it you wont believe it.
Old 01-26-2018, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick284 View Post
Who or where did I say I was intentionally tail gating Miss Mamby Pamby?

Her own actions through speeding up and slowing down for no good reason(nobody in front of her) and the plume of blowing snow behind her, resulted in me closing the gap upon her as I was trying to maintain a reasonable speed for the road conditions(coulda done 90K easily btw). If she had maintained a steady pace, it wouldn’t have happened. She was a clear menace on the road, she made it necessary that I pass her, to put her dangerous actions in in my rear view. The fact I had to wait till the wind blew her plume of snow to the right so I could finally see safely past her, meant I passed safely.

I gotta go shovel snow, good day!

See now you never said that! I apologize for jumping to conclusions. Enjoy shoveling the snow, nice and sunny in the south today!
Old 01-26-2018, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K45 View Post
40 south of GP in any weather is insane early am - evening. Bumper to bumper tankers, Hi boys, service trucks as far as you can see with the odd maniac trying to pass everybody.....unless you have drove it you wont believe it.
I'm on highway 40 facebook group. Some of the posts are hilarious.
Old 01-26-2018, 04:30 PM

wes. sorry for over-reacting to your post.

I admit I've been both the guy tail gated, and the guy trying to pass, so I get where you're coming from too.

5 1/2 hours on the road today and I must say I saw more people driving too fast than I did driving too slow, lol.

Hope everyone got home safe today.
Old 01-26-2018, 11:20 PM

Personally, I think tailgaters and those who suddenly slow down ffor no good reason are the most dangerous on the roads, I drive a big rig, I'm kicking up way too much dust for a tailgater to see me in time if I have to hit the brakes for whatever reason, and I have a hard time slowing down while going downhill in adverse conditions, if you can maintain speed, I can gauge it and maintain a safe distance, and don't ever jam on the brakes in front of a big rig in bad weather unless you have your last will and testament in order! It takes at least 100 yards to melt the snow out of the brake drums so that they can START working! Fortunately my rig is new enough for disc brakes, so the don't pack full of powdered snow, but that hasn't been the case for the last 16 years! And about 80% of big rigs still have drum brakes, so bear in mind, even if he jumps on the brakes as soon as he sees your tail lights, his brakes probably won't even start working before it's too late.