Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 12-26-2017, 10:20 PM

Default 2018 Africa Show - Calgary

https://www.facebook.com/events/1553853514688164/

Please come and support the show.

There is no better way to learn how affordable hunting in Africa is than to come to a show like this where you can meet the outfitters.

https://10times.com/african-hunting-calgary/exhibitors
Old 12-26-2017, 11:07 PM

Looks good!
Old 12-27-2017, 10:03 PM

Default re: African Hunting Show

Love going to the show every year!
Old 01-06-2018, 12:52 PM

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1NjN...NnoNmD7ih/view

Last edited by AB2506; 01-06-2018 at 01:08 PM.
Old 01-25-2018, 12:49 AM

The Africa Show starts Friday! Check out the Sci Calgary webpage or Facebook page for more details.

In addition to the show, we have three firearms to sell raffle tickets for. There are a few tickets left for the Kimber Montana 6.5 Creedmoor/Zeiss Conquest HD5. Draw date is Monday January 29. Next up we have wonderful Faustian 12 gauge over and under shotgun. We also have an Alberta Tactical Rifle semi automatic 223rem. This rifle looks like an AR15, but is totally legal to hunt coyotes with or plink gophers. Made in Calgary.

The Faustian and ATR have a draw date at our fundraising banquet on April 21st.
Old 01-25-2018, 08:27 PM

Is ther tickets available not at show
Old 01-25-2018, 08:32 PM

Yes, tickets (except on the Kimber) will be available on the website shortly.
Old 01-26-2018, 10:07 AM

You may not like this but why in heck would I want to pay $30 to be direct marketed to by 20 hunt outfits. I can get the same info for free by going to their website or emailing them. Having 20 in one place is not enough more convenient to warrant attending as one would never have time to talk to all of them in detail. In addition, I still have to do all the background reference checking etc after talking to them.

Might seem silly that someone interested in spending 5-20,000 on a hunt wold object to the entry fee but I do. I wish you the best of luck but I think you would get a lot better turn out with a much lower entrance fee.
Old 01-26-2018, 10:12 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
You may not like this but why in heck would I want to pay $30 to be direct marketed to by 20 hunt outfits. I can get the same info for free by going to their website or emailing them. Having 20 in one place is not enough more convenient to warrant attending as one would never have time to talk to all of them in detail. In addition, I still have to do all the background reference checking etc after talking to them.

Might seem silly that someone interested in spending 5-20,000 on a hunt wold object to the entry fee but I do. I wish you the best of luck but I think you would get a lot better turn out with a much lower entrance fee.
So this is what I figured out when I booked my Brown bear hunt to Alaska.
Everyone has a fancy website.
Everyone looks like the best outfitter on that website.
Only by going in person and talking with someone will you get a true feeling of who you are going with. Even if its a representative, its better than reading words on a page or looking at old pictures.
When I made the plans for that trip, I actually went to the SCI convention in Reno. Worth every last penny and I can tell you it was a heck of a lot more $$ than $30.
Even if your only dreaming about going, go to this. We don't get this chance in Calgary to speak with these people. You will gain knowledge and be educated. That way if and when the chance to go comes up, you can make a smart and quick choice.

Jamie
Old 01-26-2018, 10:54 AM

Jamie

Fair points but the two hunting shows I went to, the guys at the tables were not the PHs or the fellow running/owners of the Safaris/Hunt company. They are usually well selected sales focused representatives who have the patter down pretty slick. I have found it far easier to talk to the owner by phoning. You don't get to look them in the eye but at least you are talking to the right guy.

I also do extensive reference and background checks before I ever book the hunt. Some guys that came across GREAT on the phone or even face to face turned out to be real disasters when you got talking to their clients.

To each their own, I just find for me, the background and reference checks are the most valuable info to decide on who to use. I have yet to have a bad hunt with an outfit the checked out good.
Old 01-26-2018, 11:05 AM

If you cant afford the $30, simply don't go. But to basically tell the rest of us that we are wasting our time and money by going, I think Ill be the judge of how I spend my money. Typical response on this site....
Sometimes the best response is no response at all!!!
Looking forward to the show and learning about the outfitters that are there...
Cheers,

SS
Old 01-26-2018, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharpstick View Post
If you cant afford the $30, simply don't go. But to basically tell the rest of us that we are wasting our time and money by going, I think Ill be the judge of how I spend my money. Typical response on this site....
Sometimes the best response is no response at all!!!
Looking forward to the show and learning about the outfitters that are there...
Cheers,

SS
Typical take it personal response when I don't even know who the heck you are. I did NOT tell you, or anyone else, not to go, or that you were wasting your money. I said I thought they would get a lot better turn out with a lower ticket price.

You and others may not be aware of the history of these shows. Their attendance has suffered a lot the last few years, even before oil crashed, thus the reason the Edm show was cancelled a few years ago. In addition, many of the Safari outfits no longer attend because their sign-up rates did not offset the costs of being in the shows. In their hay day, there would be 80-100 hunt outfits at one of these shows. Many of the hunt outfits, like Pringle's Legendary Safaris, are now choosing to come to Canada and the U.S. on their own and meet in person with interested parties.

What do you care what someone you have never met, thinks if you don't agree with it. If you find value, by all means attend but try and relax a little.
Old 01-26-2018, 08:22 PM

Got kimber tickets already. Lookn
For some new ones. Sounds good