Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 01-24-2018, 12:01 AM

Default 4-Legged Thieves, Darwin Edition

Because I had a few mice get into our garden shed and help themselves to my grass seed I purchased some warfarin cubes to put in there about 2 months ago. With many projects underway placing them became a 'round tuit' which had not happened yet and besides, I saw a fat dead one outside the shed door and it was obvious that a bird had got to it. Anyways, with activity in there seeming to have stopped I had left the warfarin in their packaging on my front porch adjacent one of the firewood racks. Well low and behold I got in from work today and I saw that the package was not only empty, but that every single cube was gone of about 16!

I suspect that I might not have to deal with my problem squirrel(s) next year . At least one of them was digging up our potatoes when they were planted, stealing entire sunflower heads from the garden and even running off with entire packaged granola bars when I was emptying and re-organizing my service van. I don't think he'll be back again
Old 01-24-2018, 04:15 AM

chance are he did not eat any and just placed them some where.
Normally they will for get where they hid them

My nabour house ,4 houses over used to feed peanuts to them and i still find them in my yard, years after they stopped feeding them .
Old 01-24-2018, 08:30 AM

What brand of cubes ? I need some the tree rats chewed the wires off my security cameras twice the neighbours are feeding them because they are so cute??
Old 01-24-2018, 10:19 AM

No offence, but surely some instant-kill snap-traps, or multi-kill bucket traps could accomplish the same thing without introducing warfarin to the environment. Even in a backyard, everything from weasels to pine martins to jays and chickadees can be wiped out.
Old 01-24-2018, 08:35 PM

I had a similar situation.

Few years ago I had a belligerent skunk who figured he was part honey badger walk right into my yard in the winter and chew a hole in my shed door.
So I was stuck one winter with a foot sized hole in my shed door.... I knew I was gonna get tennents. So
I bought the ‘good. Stuff’ rat poison.... pretty big bag too.

I put a couple of the bright pink bricks out... resealed the bag....

Came back a week later... found the two bricks missing, my bird retiriever wings missing...... whole friggin rat poison bag missing.
..... and Pack Rat poop....

Little bugger ate most of the poison, stashed my wings, some tool pieces, into various corners of the shed.
Then he crawled into some shelving and died.... only to be discovered in the spring...

Dang critter
"I don't always troll, only on days that end in Y."
Old 01-25-2018, 09:15 AM

We had major squirrel issues at our cabin. Then a weasel moved in for a couple of weeks. He did a very good job. Have not seen or heard any squirrels since.
Old 01-25-2018, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darren32 View Post
We had major squirrel issues at our cabin. Then a weasel moved in for a couple of weeks. He did a very good job. Have not seen or heard any squirrels since.

I had 3-4 living in the shed a few years back. Closed the door behind me and used a tennis racket to resolve the situation. Wife wondered what the ruckus was. Just tidying up honey.

Game, set, match.