Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 01-24-2018, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdee View Post
if the stealerships says you have to have oil changes done by them for warranty then it must be supplied free of charge as per
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnus...s_Warranty_Act
if they say you have to us there filter or oil it must be supplied free of charge.Ask them to put it in writing and then produce this article and request your free filters and oil and go to who you want to do it lol
And how does this work in Canada? Your link is a US law.

It's maintenance for a vehicle. Depending on dealer is what will factor in on something happening for warranty.

It's generally easy to tell what has been done for maintenance when you take something apart. Be amazed what an engine looks like when it has 2 oil changes done in 50000km. Easy to tell that oil wasn't done. Manufactures put out guidelines as to what is covered by warranty. Engines get sent back to manufacture to be inspected. Most of the time a teardown and pictures need to be sent in before any work is approved. They can chargeback the dealer if they feel it isn't covered.

I work in a dealer as a tech, not very often that we ask for records but I'm in a rural dealer. Very different than big city dealer from my experience. All depends, stuff breaks. I have saw new vehicle break coming off the transport truck. Engines fail that have had oil changed every 5000km. Also many that were very clearly neglected, some people decide not to do maintenance.

There is no reason that you can not do your own oil changes, buy your filter from dealer. Factory filters are better, keep receipt, buy at time of oil change don't buy a case. Easier to prove. Buy quality oil, have receipt for that at the same time.

And since somebody will say something about factory filters. When I was an apprentice one of my duties was to crush the oil filters in a hydraulic press. I'm Ford tech, did lots of Ford filter and many other ones coming through the dealer. 7.3l filter from Ford would make the press struggle and many times not even be able to crush it. Fram filter would crush like a pop can. This was consistent with all the filters that were not factory . Factory filters would be twice the wieght of aftermarket, more filtering material inside.There is a reason factory filters cost more.
Old 01-25-2018, 09:46 AM

Had my wife's 2007 Honda Fit in for 2 recalls yesterday. Airbag inflator and Door master switch.

They were upset that I refused to allow them to perform any additional inspections or work.

So they performed the inspections anyway and then tried to get me to acknowledge their findings and I refused and told them they were horrible listeners and would never see me back again
Old 01-25-2018, 12:29 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by omega50 View Post
Had my wife's 2007 Honda Fit in for 2 recalls yesterday. Airbag inflator and Door master switch.

They were upset that I refused to allow them to perform any additional inspections or work.

So they performed the inspections anyway and then tried to get me to acknowledge their findings and I refused and told them they were horrible listeners and would never see me back again
MY WIFES CHARGER SXT, , , We have been waiting for 6 years ! , to get the drivers side Air Bag replaced by Chrysler for a defective air bag , Factory Recall , we get several letters from Dodge every year telling us the Charger is unsafe to operate until the Air Bag has been updated! WTF

The Air Bag notice always include another notice for some unrelated bogus dealer service proceedure ,,,

I wouldn't let a Chrysler Dealer install even a friggen new gas cap ,
Old 01-25-2018, 01:23 PM

paid for the big service at a ford stealership
oil change/ transmission fluid change /fuel filter etc
drove 20 km home and looked under the truck and they had never
removed the fuel filter or drained the transmission or removed the transmission oil pan to change the filters ( fuel filter and transmission pan were covered in road grime )
Old 01-25-2018, 01:31 PM

I've seen that happen a few times.... Dad had his truck taken in for a transmission oil and filter change. They changed out brand new tie rods, but the transmission plug wasn't even cleaned off, and the filter wasn't changed. I'd marked the old filter with a sliver sharpie. Mark was still there... Dad had me do most of the repair work within my capabilities on the truck after that...