Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 01-12-2018, 10:17 PM

Default colonoscopy

I had my first one done just over three years ago. It was two days before Christmas. I referred to it as my Christmas Cleanse.
After drinking the first two litres I wondered where am I going to put the rest......well let me tell you I found out in very short order. Yup, the prep was the worst, but never let that deter you.
I just had my second one done recently. I knew what to expect and the prep was just as horrible as the first.
I looking forward to another in three years, because I know that part of my health has been looked after.
Old 01-13-2018, 06:52 AM

I've had a few at the RGH. One bad thing about it is walking past the cafeteria to get to the room of doom. When you're so friggin' hungry and hypoglycemic to boot, hospital food smells so danged good. The rest of it ain't no picnic either, but it beats the alternative.
Old 01-13-2018, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobcatguy View Post
very easy and painless way to maybe save your life
just did mine in oct
Old 01-13-2018, 08:52 AM

Word of caution-Don't have polyps removed and then go on a remote horseback hunt for elk in the Back country 4 days later.

Whiteout Blizzard rolled in and buddy started hemorrhaging in camp at 2am

He almost bled to death before we could extract him. 16 km on horseback back to Gorge trail head so buried in snow our vehicles were stuck and was one scary nightmare to get him out.

If I did not have chains all around on my Hunting Burbs-I believe we would have lost him.

He still keeps the blood soaked saddle as a keepsake 20 years later

Last edited by omega50; 01-13-2018 at 09:07 AM.
Old 01-13-2018, 09:01 AM
Banned

Very important to get this done fellas. At 42 I was diagnosed with stage 3 colorectal cancer. Pride almost got in the way of me going to see the dr. Saved my life.
Old 01-13-2018, 11:48 AM

Polyps are hereditary . I has pre-cancerous ones removed. Told my son. Who was <> 45. He had them as well..
Colonoscopy saved us both and saved the medical system millions trying to keep up alive.
Good deal for us and the community.

Don
Old 01-13-2018, 12:47 PM

It really is more mental than anything else. The thought of something up your butt. As mentioned, I had my first because dad had some polyps found. Dads were non cancerous at 78 ish, mine the same at 48. Don't mean I will stop getting checked. If drinking that slop and going to sleep for 20 mins or the quick prostate check( had my first done recently) keeps me healthy and alive, have at it.
Old 01-13-2018, 05:27 PM

Yep, I agree, it's a pride thing. I'm proud to be a good Dad, good Husband and soon a good Grandpa. Taking it up the butt? I'm man enough to swallow that pride. Pride could take all those things early if you let it.
Old 01-13-2018, 05:59 PM

62 and never been checked so guess it might be a good idea.
Old 01-13-2018, 06:22 PM

Trust me members . Go get checked . I had 2 polyps removed. The actual procedure is painless. It's just a bit if work before hand you're bowels peeped. I'm so relieved I did it . Trust me I had some anxiety leafing up to it but it has to be done. Just my 2 cents .
Old 01-13-2018, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by partsman View Post
62 and never been checked so guess it might be a good idea.
Having watched my brother die a slow, painful horrible death due to what started out as an upset stomach, I highly recommend getting a 'scope done. His doctor wouldn't push the issue, and simply kept stepping up the antacids and stomach remedies. When he finally did send my brother in for a 'scope, they found some issues. He then went in to have it laproscopically removed and they discovered it had spread beyond the colonic wall. At that point he had colon, lung, pancreas, kidney and liver cancer. That was on Christmas eve. He died less than 2 years later. I now have to go every 5 years, which is fine with me.

I wouldn't wish it on anyone.

"The will to be stupid is a powerful force"
Old 01-13-2018, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post
Having watched my brother die a slow, painful horrible death due to what started out as an upset stomach, I highly recommend getting a 'scope done. His doctor wouldn't push the issue, and simply kept stepping up the antacids and stomach remedies. When he finally did send my brother in for a 'scope, they found some issues. He then went in to have it laproscopically removed and they discovered it had spread beyond the colonic wall. At that point he had colon, lung, pancreas, kidney and liver cancer. That was on Christmas eve. He died less than 2 years later. I now have to go every 5 years, which is fine with me.

I wouldn't wish it on anyone.
Oh my goodness. This scenario almost matchs my experience exactly. My family has a history of colon cancer. I was scoped, had some polyps removed and get checked regularly now. But, after my scope I told all my cousins to get this done. It is in the family.
Well, a couple years later one of my cousins is diagnosed with colon cancer and is dead with in a year at the age of 33.
I am not saying it would have been caught and treated. But getting checked would have given him more of a chance than not getting checked.
He also had an issue with his doctor doing a scope and he kept pushing it off even after my cousin was in a lot of pain from the still undiagnosed cancer.