Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 09-02-2015, 01:41 PM

Talking WMU 438 TROPHY SHEEP HUNT! super stoked!

I know that there was three tags drawn for this zone. One being mine! I'm crazy excited! I was just looking for the other two people drawn. My draw is for Nov 21-Nov 30. I've never been in this area and don't know a whole lot about it. But i can't wait to get out there! It's going to be an unbelievable time!
Old 09-02-2015, 02:04 PM

There is 5 tags per season, and three seasons. You got the best of the three seasons. I got mine there two years ago. Good luck. Make sure you have warm clothes and ski goggles came in handy in the wind.
Old 09-02-2015, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesilauzon View Post
I know that there was three tags drawn for this zone. One being mine! I'm crazy excited! I was just looking for the other two people drawn. My draw is for Nov 21-Nov 30. I've never been in this area and don't know a whole lot about it. But i can't wait to get out there! It's going to be an unbelievable time!
Nice so how does that whole trophy sheep zoning work? Like if i go buy a general tag for 438 and then there are the draw zones like 438 A,B,and C?

Is the only difference the dates you can hunt? So my general tag ends oct 31 but those draws are for Nov correct?
Old 09-02-2015, 02:11 PM

Get out there now and learn the access points, the areas the sheep use and the best way to get around. In late Nov the mountain will be a frozen snowy mess. You are better to figure things out now and have a game plan in advance. See what is there for sheep and have an idea what is reasonable to hold out for. There are some stompers there to be sure!

Congrats I super jealous!
Old 09-02-2015, 02:31 PM

The draw tags get to hunt the same area, but in november when they are rutting. It can get dang cold and nasty in november. I grew up in waterton area and thought I had seen some bad winds, but it can get downright ugly. We packed my ram off in a windstorm, blowing ice and rocks in your face. It's all worth it though.
Old 09-02-2015, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saskwhitey View Post
The draw tags get to hunt the same area, but in november when they are rutting. It can get dang cold and nasty in november. I grew up in waterton area and thought I had seen some bad winds, but it can get downright ugly. We packed my ram off in a windstorm, blowing ice and rocks in your face. It's all worth it though.

I hear ya. I work on the mine site and i remember a guy getting blown down our haul road at shift change. And thanks for the clarification, i just didn't know if it was same area or not thanks.
Old 09-02-2015, 03:12 PM

And even in August it can get ugly out there.Days where i saw sheep hunters that went in when it was sunny and plus 20.next day snow and 5 degrees and windy as heck...
Old 09-02-2015, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M1GERAND-MAN View Post
And even in August it can get ugly out there.Days where i saw sheep hunters that went in when it was sunny and plus 20.next day snow and 5 degrees and windy as heck...
5 degrees! Try leaving the tent to saddle the horses when it's -25, with two feet of fresh snow on the ground in late October. That's when you find out what late season sheep hunting is all about.
Old 09-02-2015, 03:47 PM

Dont all of our horse hunting stories end up "we rode out in -30 and belly deep snow" ha
Old 09-02-2015, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckwell View Post
Dont all of our horse hunting stories end up "we rode out in -30 and belly deep snow" ha
My favorite was just blow zero when we rode in in heavy wet snow, -10 that night and in the morning it took us over an hour to untie the horses because their leads were waterlogged and frozen solid lots of pouring warm water and wiggling Lol.

Then again that just reminded me of another time in wet snow. I spiked out with 2 horses and a dome tent. My leather boots got soaked and it took me 20 min just to get them on in the morning because they were frozen solid and I hadto thaw them with my feet as I slowly was able to work them in deeper and deeper Lol.

Remind me again why I love this stuff.
Old 09-02-2015, 04:59 PM

I think this is why I love to see pictures of successful sheep hunts, but my bones (particularly the hip I broke at work) don't relish the idea of actually doing the hunt. I can't believe I sound like a 70 year old, and I'm not quite 50 yet....

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 09-02-2015, 07:34 PM

As D. Hitch says get out there now and learn the access points and trails. Also get ahold of the Teck Coal map and learn the mine boundary. The boundary coordinates are all listed on the map. Punch all those points into your GPS and learn how to keep yourself on the legal side of that line.

The weather can be brutal that time of year and it is a tough climb up off the mine onto legal ground. Then it is basically sitting there waiting for a ram to come across so you need to be prepared to stay warm after a sweaty climb up. Wind can be brutal, like Saskwhitey says, ski googles are a must for the wind and to prevent snow blindness.

I would recomend you look at booking rooms at the motel in Cadomin for accommodations for your hunt. Hinton is only 50 km out but the roads can be crappy that time of year.

three friends have been lucky enough to get that tag and season. All of them got super Rams. It's a great tag that any sheep Hunter would give their eye teeth for, especially the late season. Excellent chance at getting a whopper chasing a ewe out of the mine. Hope you can persevere and get a good one too. Look forward to pics.
Old 09-03-2015, 01:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
5 degrees! Try leaving the tent to saddle the horses when it's -25, with two feet of fresh snow on the ground in late October. That's when you find out what late season sheep hunting is all about.
Ha no doubt. I meant 5 degrees in August when it should be plus 25. But ya it doesn't get any coldder there than anywhere else around here but it's that brutal wind!!! 10 degrees with wind seriously feels like -30!!
Old 09-16-2015, 09:50 PM

Default Open season

Pardon my ignorance, but isn't that area open season till October 31?
Old 09-17-2015, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmenaar View Post
Pardon my ignorance, but isn't that area open season till October 31?
Yes but not in November when the rut is on and all those big Rams come off the mine site. That there's a draw for.
Old 11-18-2015, 05:10 PM

Hey thanks guys! I have been out there checking out the access points! And i definitely picked up ski goggles! I also did learn that there is five draws for each of the three seasons! I'm hoping to stay warm! If i am successful i will share my pictures! Thanks to everyone for the advice! I head out in the morning! Super excited!
Old 11-18-2015, 05:24 PM

Good Luck take lots pf pictures and cover your barrel!!!!!!!
Old 11-18-2015, 05:34 PM

Got pics from a friend last week that they killed a ram that was imoressive. I think 188" I got a pic of the ram alive days before in a legal area and it must have stayed there. I guess there are still some amazing rams on the mine. Sure wasn't like it used to be
Old 11-18-2015, 06:26 PM

Default Cadomin

Nube I think that ram netted like 187 and change great ram . Hope to see if some other guys get some good rams. Lots of snow and cold weather pushes the ewes off the mine and the rams will follow. Good luck .. I know of three rams killed so far in November on the 438 C draw
Old 11-18-2015, 07:10 PM

Got some good dumps of snow on the weekend that should change how the conditions have been out there. It still isn't too cold out but if the wind picks up, have fun. Around a foot of snow came on the weekend.
Old 11-18-2015, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nube View Post
Got pics from a friend last week that they killed a ram that was imoressive. I think 188" I got a pic of the ram alive days before in a legal area and it must have stayed there. I guess there are still some amazing rams on the mine. Sure wasn't like it used to be
Is that the ram the young man shot? Great before and after pics !
Old 11-19-2015, 06:49 AM
Banned

I saw a pic of the ram Pat Garrett's son got. Very nice.

Good luck Jessie!!
Old 12-03-2015, 06:11 PM

It was Brian Garretts son and yes it was a great ram. Very fortunate to ever see a ram like that let alone take your kid out on an adventure and get a shot at it!!!
Old 12-05-2015, 05:37 PM

So no any luck jesil?

Tags
bighorn, cadomin, trophy sheep