Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 10-30-2021, 07:25 PM

So, watching TO and the Wings, it seems there is video review if a double minor penalty is called for high sticking? Is this fairly new?
Old 10-30-2021, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinhits View Post
So, watching TO and the Wings, it seems there is video review if a double minor penalty is called for high sticking? Is this fairly new?
I don't believe so. Not watching the game, but I suspect someone was cut, with a high stick, and they were reviewing to see if it was legit or follow through on a shot. I don't necessarily agree with it, but if a high stick results due to follow through on a shot, it's not a penalty.
Old 10-30-2021, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trochu View Post
I don't believe so. Not watching the game, but I suspect someone was cut, with a high stick, and they were reviewing to see if it was legit or follow through on a shot. I don't necessarily agree with it, but if a high stick results due to follow through on a shot, it's not a penalty.

It happened in the corner where Toronto originally was being called for the high stick and the player that got high sticked scored on the delayed penalty. However, it was his own player that high sticked him and the stripes were going to give him a 2 minute penalty instead of the 4 minute because they scored a goal on the delayed penalty. They reviewed and it was his own teammate that cut him with the high stick. I am still confused where there is a review on this play.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-30-2021, 08:12 PM

Quote:
It happened in the corner where Toronto originally was being called for the high stick and the player that got high sticked scored on the delayed penalty. However, it was his own player that high sticked him and the stripes were going to give him a 2 minute penalty instead of the 4 minute because they scored a goal on the delayed penalty. They reviewed and it was his own teammate that cut him with the high stick. I am still confused where there is a review on this play.

You will have to watch the highlights of the game to see exactly what I am talking about.

Old 10-30-2021, 08:15 PM

Quote:
You will have to watch the highlights of the game to see exactly what I am talking about.
Fine.....if I have too!
Old 11-01-2021, 09:03 AM

Quote:
wouldn't exactly call it "new" but they have the ability to review double minor and major penalties to make sure the call was right. I believe they implemented it after the Joe Pavelski incident in the playoffs-sharks vs knights
Old 12-19-2021, 03:13 PM

Can probably say bye to the NHL Olympics too, I would assume.
Old 01-16-2022, 01:43 PM

Vancouver-Washington is turning out to be a pretty solid game. Canucks were really good in the second.
Old 01-16-2022, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishnguy View Post
Vancouver-Washington is turning out to be a pretty solid game. Canucks were really good in the second.
They sure have bought in to Boudreau’s coaching. Awesome turn for them and yes it was a good game.

Last nights back and forth Leafs Blues game was an even better watch….
Old 02-10-2022, 02:35 PM

Coyotes just announced they will be playing at ASC's new rink for the next three years. The kicker, it was originally designed for 5,000 fans, on bleachers, no Coyotes dressing room, etc. They estimate that once it's "renoed" (it's in process of being built), it might have a 3,800 capacity. Wild that the NHL is letting them do this, but it would be awesome to watch a game there.
Old 02-10-2022, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Coyotes just announced they will be playing at ASC's new rink for the next three years. The kicker, it was originally designed for 5,000 fans, on bleachers, no Coyotes dressing room, etc. They estimate that once it's "renoed" (it's in process of being built), it might have a 3,800 capacity. Wild that the NHL is letting them do this, but it would be awesome to watch a game there.
3800 fans…. As if the organization wasn’t leeching enough $$.
How can they survive? Owners pockets?
Old 10-12-2022, 07:24 PM

Ovechkin has 9 hits so far in the game. 26 minutes on ice and still 5 minutes to go. The dude is 37 (?).

Edit: they’ve been had as a team though.
Old 10-12-2022, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Ovechkin has 9 hits so far in the game. 26 minutes on ice and still 5 minutes to go. The dude is 37 (?).

Edit: they’ve been had as a team though.
When he first entered the league, I wasn't an Ovi fan, but he's grown on me over the years. That being said, I feel Washington is going to struggle this year and may not make the playoffs. Their core is getting older, Ovi, Backstrom, Oshie, Carlson, Orlov, etc. are all well into their thirties, it's a strong division/conference, and I just don't think they are that good, their second line is Protas-Strome-Mantha, who have combined for one 50+ point season.
Old 10-13-2022, 03:03 PM

Habs beat Laughs with 4 rookies on the blueline! I am good for a while now!!!!!
Old 10-13-2022, 06:16 PM

^ Lol. I should text my Leaf buddy in Toronto to congratulate.

Quote:
When he first entered the league, I wasn't an Ovi fan, but he's grown on me over the years. That being said, I feel Washington is going to struggle this year and may not make the playoffs. Their core is getting older, Ovi, Backstrom, Oshie, Carlson, Orlov, etc. are all well into their thirties, it's a strong division/conference, and I just don't think they are that good, their second line is Protas-Strome-Mantha, who have combined for one 50+ point season.
Yeah, absolutely. They also seem to play short of a major guy or two all the time due to injuries. Even Ovi took a few games off last season, if I recall correctly, due to an injury. I do think they will still make the playoffs though. Other great teams are suffering from the same “age effect”. Not sure about Kuemper though. He is good, but can’t trust that guy when it really counts.
Old 12-11-2022, 11:13 PM

Ovechkin now scored 4 empty-net goals in the last three games. Lol
Old 12-13-2022, 10:57 PM

Well, to give another bump to the “Ovi thread”, lol. We all knew it was coming. Good for him and well done.

Old 12-14-2022, 06:03 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Thumbs up

The great eight

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 12-14-2022, 06:47 AM

I hate to say it but I think he will overtake Gretzkys record. I think it’s driving him and he will play till he does or even after.
Old 12-14-2022, 06:59 AM

Yup Ovi kicked butt again last night, he may overtake Gretz if he can stay healthy, like all hockey players he's only 1 serious injury away from retirement, but I'd love to see him take a good run at it.

We were all born ignorant but one must work very hard to remain that way.
Old 12-14-2022, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by .264 Win Mag View Post
I hate to say it but I think he will overtake Gretzkys record. I think it’s driving him and he will play till he does or even after.
He would probably already be there had he not had 2 lockouts and a pandemic shortened season during his career.

He will catch him baring any major injury.
Old 12-14-2022, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waldedw View Post
Yup Ovi kicked butt again last night, he may overtake Gretz if he can stay healthy, like all hockey players he's only 1 serious injury away from retirement, but I'd love to see him take a good run at it.
No doubt, but crazy how Ovechkin’s durability has been one of his best assets his whole career. I seriously don’t think he’s even had a major injury that’s cost him to miss even 10 consecutive games. Just not taking that level of injury your whole playing career can certainly extended careers as you’re not fighting recurring old injury flare ups in your later career.

I remember hearing Brooks Orpik talk on a hockey podcast about how Ovie was just built different. Said if anyone else in the league had his diet, they’d have been out of the league ages ago. Once he accidentally grabbed Ovie’s water bottle one practice and it was filled with Dr Pepper lol
Old 12-14-2022, 11:25 AM

It's impressive, he's 37 and on-pace for 52 goals this season.
Old 12-14-2022, 11:27 AM

Very classy response by the Blackhawks fans. It was nice to see.
Old 12-15-2022, 06:28 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Luv watching Reeves play old school type hockey

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 12-15-2022, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Well, to give another bump to the “Ovi thread”, lol. We all knew it was coming. Good for him and well done.

First of all, I love this guy.

Wonder how many "empty netters" the other 2 scored in their careers?...
Old 12-15-2022, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil McCracken View Post
First of all, I love this guy.

Wonder how many "empty netters" the other 2 scored in their careers?...
Wayne Gretzky has 56 and Ovi now has 53 so my guess is he will end up with the most empty netters before the end of this year yet

Old 12-15-2022, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waldedw View Post
Wayne Gretzky has 56 and Ovi now has 53 so my guess is he will end up with the most empty netters before the end of this year yet
And how many did Gordie get?...
Old 12-15-2022, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil McCracken View Post
And how many did Gordie get?...

Old 12-15-2022, 12:01 PM

Default Stagnant salary cap

This is a big story. It looks like the expected salary cap bump isn't going to happen. Teams will likely see a $1M increase which isn't going to solve the cap issues that the majority of them face.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article...l-bog-meeting/

I'm predicting an increase in the number of players going on LTIR.