Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 01-03-2015, 01:37 AM

Default Puma knives.

Anybody own puma knives? I just got one as part of a scope deal, and I'm just curious if its worth hanging onto, or if they're over rated? I think I'll probably keep it, but would still be nice to hear some opinions. I wouldn't personally spend that much on a knife, but it was pretty much free with the scope purchase. Thanks.
Old 01-03-2015, 07:20 AM

I have one of their lower line Chinese knives. The catamount. I've used it for a few seasons and have no complaints.

I love the stag grips, I love feel and balance, I love how well it holds an edge.
Old 01-03-2015, 09:11 AM

Default Gamewarden

I have the old 1979's game warden with bone saw (581) on a lanyard since my wifes uncle brought it over from Germany for me in 1980. Never needed another knife for countless animals in Ontario and Alberta since then. When sharp you can shave with it and it lasts for a full animal and then with a little touch up is good for another.
Heard newer ones might be lesser quality than the old steel but probably still better than 90% of the garbage out there.
Old 01-03-2015, 09:43 AM

My dad gave me his Puma "White Hunter" 30+ years ago. He said the best thing about the knife was sitting around the fire talking about how much he paid for it. I recently passed it on to my son with the same advice. I'd much rather have a cheaper Gerber.
J.H.
Old 01-03-2015, 10:11 AM

I've got 4 Puma knives and another 3 Solingen (Linder; Boker; Weidmansheil) blade knives. They are shaving sharp when properly sharpened and hold an edge extremely well. On top of that I like having stag handled knives.
Old 01-03-2015, 10:23 AM

I have a few, love them.
What model did you get?
Old 01-03-2015, 10:25 AM

I have the Puma Skinner from the mid 70's and it is a great knife.. worth every penny I paid for it and the saw teeth on it goes through the rib cage with ease

David
Old 01-03-2015, 11:33 AM

The model I have is the Puma SGB Skinner. Not near as nice looking as the one speckle55 posted. It feels unfinished to me, never had a knife with stag handles before. The edges of the steel where it runs through the handle are still fairly sharp. Is that normal of these style of knives? Also, you would think that a $150 knife would come with a leather sheath. Feels solid in your hand though and much nicer than some of my other knives!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (70.4 KB, 106 views)

Last edited by bowhunter9841; 01-03-2015 at 11:37 AM. Reason: Adding a picture
Old 01-03-2015, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowhunter9841 View Post
The model I have is the Puma SGB Skinner. Not near as nice looking as the one speckle55 posted. It feels unfinished to me, never had a knife with stag handles before. The edges of the steel where it runs through the handle are still fairly sharp. Is that normal of these style of knives? Also, you would think that a $150 knife would come with a leather sheath. Feels solid in your hand though and much nicer than some of my other knives!
The SGB line of knives have a molded handle of some type of composite, they aren't antler. The fit and finish is not on par with the original Puma line, as these are all handmade in Germany. The SGB has German steel, but it is assembled in China. They are also only worth about $100. The Puma Skinner is about $180 and up. It comes with leather sheath.
Old 01-03-2015, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leo View Post
The SGB line of knives have a molded handle of some type of composite, they aren't antler. The fit and finish is not on par with the original Puma line, as these are all handmade in Germany. The SGB has German steel, but it is assembled in China. They are also only worth about $100. The Puma Skinner is about $180 and up. It comes with leather sheath.
I searched it up on the puma website and on there they are $99.00, so you were correct there, however it does say on both cabelas and puma websites that the handles are crafted from naturally dropped stag antlers.

Cabelas is over charging by $50 bucks, they have them listed at $149.99! Personally don't think they should be charging that much, but if that's what they want, and people will pay it, then good for them! I got mine for free!

Last edited by bowhunter9841; 01-03-2015 at 12:52 PM. Reason: Adding info
Old 01-03-2015, 02:18 PM
Gone Hunting

I have a couple. I bought a 'bowie' model in 1962. My friends thought I was certifiably insane to pay so much for a hunting knife. I think it was 29 or 39 dollars. it has served me well since then.

A friend gave me a white hunter a few years ago as a gift.

I handled it and thought I would never buy this knife for myself. Handle was too small, blade was too big, then I dressed a couple moose with it. Completely changed my mind. Well designed for minimum fatigue and maximum productivity.

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 01-03-2015, 05:01 PM

My German Skinner has served me well on around 20 animals without a lot of work to sharpen. I never go hunting without it.
Old 01-04-2015, 08:17 PM

I have couple love them very reliable knifes buy the one made in Germany
Old 01-04-2015, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leo View Post
My sgb catamount handle is most definitely antler.
Old 01-06-2015, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowhunter9841 View Post
Anybody own puma knives? I just got one as part of a scope deal, and I'm just curious if its worth hanging onto, or if they're over rated? I think I'll probably keep it, but would still be nice to hear some opinions. I wouldn't personally spend that much on a knife, but it was pretty much free with the scope purchase. Thanks.
Let me guess...you got the knife with a Zeiss Terra 3-9x42 scope?
Old 01-06-2015, 02:47 PM

The SGB versions are assembled in China and sport 440A steel I believe. That's not very high quality. Think the older German ones were superior.
Old 01-06-2015, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinMoose View Post
Let me guess...you got the knife with a Zeiss Terra 3-9x42 scope?
Yes I did. Going to mount the scope tonight. Was a good deal in my opinion. I Was looking at those scopes as well as a few others for quite awhile. So I figured why not take advantage of the deal? I was looking for 4-12, but really don't need more than 3-9 for hunting. So I'm still happy with my purchase.
Old 01-06-2015, 05:13 PM

Had wanted a white hunter ever since I was a kid,, till i actually handled one. Couldn't believe how small the handle was,, way too small for my mitts!