Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 04-19-2011, 04:19 PM

Default St. Clair Concentricity Guage

I am thinking about buying one to try and tighten groups. I know I have to do my part to shoot well but I have read where people shoot lots better once they take the runout of there reloads. Has anyone on here used a concentricity gauge before and how hard is it to operte and understand? Thanks for any info.
Old 04-19-2011, 04:37 PM

Yup, my family has used concentricity guages since the 50's when I can remeber my father setting up a loading session.
They are really helpful when dealing with MILSURP ammo, my older brother took one to Bisley with him in '66 as a cadet, and used it on a regular basis when shooting Enfields.
My father built it for him , quite a simple rig really.

I use an RCBS these days, and it will not only check bullet runout, but case seperation, bullet length, rimfire case head thickness and a host of other things.

Cat
Old 04-19-2011, 05:17 PM

I bought the Sinclair gauge a while back. It's easy to use, and opened my eyes towards a few things. I'm not clear if you're aware from your post, so I'll mention it...a concentricity gauge does not correct runout, just tells you how much there is.
Old 04-19-2011, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev View Post
I bought the Sinclair gauge a while back. It's easy to use, and opened my eyes towards a few things. I'm not clear if you're aware from your post, so I'll mention it...a concentricity gauge does not correct runout, just tells you how much there is.
I never said it will correct it, I said I check it with the guage!
Runout is checked with the MILSURP ammo then the bullet can eiother be pushed a little to change it a bit, or simply the high side marked and that side goes up when chambered in the rifle.
Cat
Old 04-19-2011, 07:47 PM

Thanks for the info. Kev I'm glad you mentioned that I didn't know it didn't correct runout. What do you need to correct runout?
Old 04-19-2011, 10:12 PM

In my case, fireformed and resized brass gives excellent case neck concentricity. Excessive runout (in several of my calibres) usually occurs while seating. So higher quality seating dies would help that problem. I'm not conviced my shooting is good enough to warrant the expense of precision dies though
Old 04-20-2011, 06:39 AM
Banned

I use the Co-Ax Concentricity gauge by Forster Products. Checks neck and bullet run-out as well as neck wall thickness. I bought mine brand new at the gun show for 70% of retail, and without GST.
Old 04-20-2011, 09:32 AM

I'm presuming by St Clair, you meant Sinclair. Their gauge is very good, also check out the NECO, it can be set up to measure several dimensions.
Old 04-20-2011, 09:52 AM

My bad i bought a sinclair guage. I thought it was spelled St Clair like the lake I guess