Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 09-01-2022, 04:39 PM

Default Start of another school year for our kids

I’m sure I’m not alone in having sent my kids off to start another school year today. Time flies and that just means we are getting older I guess lol. And maybe it’s exactly that - my older age that brings this thread. Am I the only one whose noticed that some kids these days look like they missed putting half their clothing on before heading to the classroom? I have one in high school who doesn’t drive and when I dropped him off all I could think is how different things are now. Is there no dress code lol? My friend teaches at a small rural Alberta high school and he says schools now a days are worse than greys anatomy for the reasons anyone whose seen greys anatomy would guess. He says the few teachers who want to maintain their own personal relationships need to quit and get the heck out of there because coworkers have numerous levels of relationships. He says parents don’t support teachers trying to act as authority figures and He says it’s a hand holding system now. I’m not saying the days of the strap etc is what’s needed but I was sure disappointed to hear about how it is these days. Kudos to the teachers who do try to keep it clean and work to teach kids not hand hold them. Anyone else notice such a change to the school system? Maybe I’m not alone in my frustration and disappointment. Or maybe I am?
Old 09-01-2022, 05:29 PM

The times, they are a changin 🎶🎶🎶
Old 09-01-2022, 06:28 PM

Joe, I'm a teacher. Turning 55. It gets harder every year for the reasons you mentioned.

Don't get me wrong. People are still people, and I always say that...

1/3 of students are great. They put the wind in your sails

1/3 are just there. They come. They learn. They good off. Usually doing both in each period. Just kids like we were.

1/3 of students are what I will call challenging. by their behavior and attitude it's obvious they'd rather not be there. Doesn't mean they're bad kids. We all had teachers we hated. The difference now seems to be how bold kids are. I'm not talking about being sassy. I'm talking about kids telling you to go eff yourself. They know that the worst that will happen is they go to the office, tell the vice principal how cruel and unfair the teacher is, and they are often back in your class within 15-20 minutes. Everyone gets what happened. A kid was able to tell a teacher to publicly have sex with themselves in front of everyone, and they get out of class for a break - remember they don't wanna be there in the first place - and the teacher's authority goes up in smoke.

We all know what would happen if we told a teacher those things in the 60s, 70s, and 80s. You'd be looking for a new school.

Not anymore.

Don't blame the kids. Humans and animals will do whatever they feel they can get away with. Blame our generation. We brought them into the world, and shaped them into whatever they are.

There's lots more I could say, but let me end with this. There are ****ty teachers. Really ****ty ones. They are a very small minority. Very small. Give your kids' teachers the benefit of the doubt, and when you contact them, if you feel you need to. Realize that what really took place in class, is in 99% of the cases what the teacher tells you, not your kid.

Just being honest.

I can deal with any kid. It's the parents that are hard.

If you treat your kid's teachers like they are incompetent a-holes, you empower your kids to do the same. You may think that's no big deal, and you're just supporting your kid.

However, that attitude follows them wherever they go. University professors don't take calls from parents. Nor do foremen on the jobsite.

Learning to accept and respect authority figures is a lesson that pays huge dividends in life. Huge.

No era in life is inherently superior. Cars, trucks, and rifles were not better 40 years ago.

I'd say schools were better and churned out more mature grads, better able to face the world.

Most of the technology we enjoy today, was designed by people whose most powerful computer in school was their pocket calculator.

Those people cured diseases, mapped the human genome, and sent man to the moon.

Guys, us teachers are trying, but we can only work with what is in front of us. We are far from perfect, but we need your support. We really do.

If you made it this far... Thanks.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk
Old 09-01-2022, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
Joe, I'm a teacher. Turning 55. It gets harder every year for the reasons you mentioned.

Don't get me wrong. People are still people, and I always say that...

1/3 of students are great. They put the wind in your sails

1/3 are just there. They come. They learn. They good off. Usually doing both in each period. Just kids like we were.

1/3 of students are what I will call challenging. by their behavior and attitude it's obvious they'd rather not be there. Doesn't mean they're bad kids. We all had teachers we hated. The difference now seems to be how bold kids are. I'm not talking about being sassy. I'm talking about kids telling you to go eff yourself. They know that the worst that will happen is they go to the office, tell the vice principal how cruel and unfair the teacher is, and they are often back in your class within 15-20 minutes. Everyone gets what happened. A kid was able to tell a teacher to publicly have sex with themselves in front of everyone, and they get out of class for a break - remember they don't wanna be there in the first place - and the teacher's authority goes up in smoke.

We all know what would happen if we told a teacher those things in the 60s, 70s, and 80s. You'd be looking for a new school.

Not anymore.

Don't blame the kids. Humans and animals will do whatever they feel they can get away with. Blame our generation. We brought them into the world, and shaped them into whatever they are.

There's lots more I could say, but let me end with this. There are ****ty teachers. Really ****ty ones. They are a very small minority. Very small. Give your kids' teachers the benefit of the doubt, and when you contact them, if you feel you need to. Realize that what really took place in class, is in 99% of the cases what the teacher tells you, not your kid.

Just being honest.

I can deal with any kid. It's the parents that are hard.

If you treat your kid's teachers like they are incompetent a-holes, you empower your kids to do the same. You may think that's no big deal, and you're just supporting your kid.

However, that attitude follows them wherever they go. University professors don't take calls from parents. Nor do foremen on the jobsite.

Learning to accept and respect authority figures is a lesson that pays huge dividends in life. Huge.

No era in life is inherently superior. Cars, trucks, and rifles were not better 40 years ago.

I'd say schools were better and churned out more mature grads, better able to face the world.

Most of the technology we enjoy today, was designed by people whose most powerful computer in school was their pocket calculator.

Those people cured diseases, mapped the human genome, and sent man to the moon.

Guys, us teachers are trying, but we can only work with what is in front of us. We are far from perfect, but we need your support. We really do.

If you made it this far... Thanks.

Man I do not envy teachers nowadays.. thought I wanted to be a teacher until I realized my passion for hunting would make it difficult to get away during hunting season.

So glad I did not, would not have made it 5 years without a physical confrontation with a kid/parent I am sure. I grew up in a rural town, when I got sent to the office I usually wasn’t too concerned until I heard those words “you can now call your parents”.. then I knew I was in for some real discipline.

Having young kids now in elementary school in the city, I think unfortunately, not only is the parenting I received going the way of the dodo, but the constant rainbow and other “non-partisan” liberal pushing by the education system is challenging to say the least; not only for us parents but I am sure the odd teacher as well.

SNS, I am sure you are very much looking forward to when you will not have to answer to the bonehead parents, and I appreciate that there are still some very good teachers left.

DR

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-01-2022, 10:55 PM

Thanks, DR. Truth is at this stage in my career, I have learned to deal with difficult parents effectively. I dot my Is and cross my Ts. I let the ignorant, angry people vent and then I end the call, telling them I am not a doormat, and I am committed to their child’s success, but that calls for a partnership with the home, and they have damaged that greatly by their words and attitude, and they are welcome to talk to the principal, followed by have a nice evening. I refuse to be drawn in. My principal is in my class twice a day interacting with kids and observing my instruction. He is then able to circumvent accusatory parents quite quickly. And he does. It sure is nice having a boss who publicly has your back. He will call me to account if needed, but he won’t undress me in public. Unfortunately, I’ve had a few principals who will. Very hard to work under those conditions.

Unlike the boys at AlumaSafway up in Fort Mac, us teachers can go elsewhere fairly easily in big city. In a small town? You’re shagged right up.

The changes I have seen in my career have been extreme. I feel for the young teachers entering the profession, but they will know no different either.

Still lots of good though, but may have to look a little harder.

Have a good year you guys who have kids in school.
Old 09-01-2022, 11:59 PM

Default Don't lose hope

You don't need all your teachers to be great, just a few will do. For me it was a great Jr High Industrial Ed teacher (Joe Berezanski, if you're still alive...thanks) to inspire a kid to a good future. Though I have bumped into many since, he was a true gem. A great chem/bio teacher in Sr High (Dan Merrills, thanks to you as well) sealed the deal. They didn't just model their craft, they demonstrated integrity and commitment. They were 110% there for anyone who tried.

I truly feel for teachers that are trying to help, the odds are stacked. Kids know they are untouchable and often act accordingly...they will get their cumuppance in the real world though often too late. Meter your time as you may not be able to correct poor upbringing or weak accountability singlehandedly.

I wouldn't get hung up on external factors, appearances are just that; even a crappy attitude can change over time. It's easy to look past funny pants or piercings if you are truly able to help the kid. It's that bottom grouping that needs the help the most though can't articulate it for a variety of reasons. I call it Gods work...helping those who need it most. True educators can seize that glimmer of awareness and fan it into learning.

I've begun to differentiate educators from curriculum administrators. The former can spark interest, fan these tinders and instill knowledge in students; I can't tell if they are teaching the content or catalyzing the curiosity...maybe both. The latter recites the textbook and is gone by 3:15.

Try not to fall into the pit of the latter, even on the frustrating days.
Zeke.
Old 09-02-2022, 12:09 AM

Thankfully Zeke, I only teach Food Studies now. Not many parents have it out for the Foods teacher . It's the academics teachers who get the brunt out of it. My classroom.is usually the happiest room in the school if you gauge the amount of laughter.

Old 09-02-2022, 06:57 AM

My wife is a teacher, so I hear and know what you go through.

I use to tell my kids teacher that their job was to educate my kids, my job was to discipline them. If there was a problem, I’d be there to do that.

Never got a call, my kids now as adults say the worst fear was a phone call home and they never let that happen. I’m 63, and probably as old school as it gets, my kids grew up like they where kids in the 60’s.
Old 09-02-2022, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mavrick View Post
My wife is a teacher, so I hear and know what you go through.

I use to tell my kids teacher that their job was to educate my kids, my job was to discipline them. If there was a problem, I’d be there to do that.

Never got a call, my kids now as adults say the worst fear was a phone call home and they never let that happen. I’m 63, and probably as old school as it gets, my kids grew up like they where kids in the 60’s.
Yes. It’s the parents job to keep kids in line. Now many use school as a free daycare and a free and easy child training program. Look at the uproar that was created when parents had to be with their kids during the pandemic. When the kids were allowed back in school after restrictions I was shocked how many of my friends had no idea what was going on in the schools as far as the attitude towards the kids involving restrictions and what these kids were required to endure. They were just so grateful for free daycare again. However when restrictions involved a concert many became concerned. It’s not the kids or the school that are the real problem.

Some real good parents out there but I have also been shocked at how many have no idea what’s going on in the schools and how they don’t care. We have lost the grassroots community influence in schools as well with regional,provincial and federal boards making decisions for schools. They have no idea what the community values, no do they wish to know and are using schools as a way to push social agendas instead of focusing on education.

Need more grassroots and community and parent involvement. The school my kids go to a bunch of parents banded together, got involved and lobbied for change and while it wasn’t easy it turned out to be quite effective. I got nothing but positives to say about the teachers and kids in the school my kids go to it’s been a fantastic place for my kids to learn and develop.

Last edited by ganderblaster; 09-02-2022 at 07:48 AM.
Old 09-02-2022, 09:05 AM

There’s no doubt generations change and that we have to flex with that. I’m pretty old school and thats why I struggle a bit. I guess I was just a little taken aback when I talked to my friend and really listened to his comments. Bob is at the end of his career and says comments similar to here that the change from then to now is extreme. He also is one of the good guys genuinely concerned for kids and wanting them to excel and succeed in the real world. I know my comments are all based on second hand info from one person at one small high school in a town of a population of 5000- 6000 so maybe it’s a poor representation of the whole and maybe the cities are different but he was saying that it’s become very political and money driven. Credits are handed out even when they aren’t earned and people are passed on to the next grade or level and then the real world without really having accomplished the requirements because then the school gets more money. It’s understandable that everyone needs to protect their jobs and themselves but he says there is a huge push on working as a team and pushing that everyone is a part of a big group that rows together instead of against but at the end of the day - it’s really each for their own if you don’t conform and participate in whatever has been decided as the right path, you will feel the wrath . I feel for you teachers out there trying to make a difference. In small towns- teachers are thrown into positions or classes they have never taught or trained for without an option or any actual prep assistance to cover shortages. They are swamped and I wonder if there is any regard for their mental health in these times.
Then my son comes homes telling me that his teacher is so awesome and gets what it’s like to be a high schooler because before the bell rang for class she was talking with the girls about good looking grade 12s and what the girls could do to “get with them”. I was like … what?!? I was raised to believe that you earn things, show respect and take accountability. That there are consequences to poor decisions or not meeting requirements and that those consequences help teach valuable lessons and I try to engrain that in my kids. It’s tough out there for kids but for teachers too. My hat goes off to you guys. You guys have to battle the brunt of difficult parents, students, coworkers or upper management. I guess one that thing that hasn’t changed is the need for us parents to be actively involved and not rely on “systems” to parent our kids. Like was said above, they aren’t our babysitting service and the load teachers carry is unreal. Thank you for all you do.
Old 09-03-2022, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRhunter View Post
Man I do not envy teachers nowadays.. thought I wanted to be a teacher until I realized my passion for hunting would make it difficult to get away during hunting season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You hit the nail on the head with that one! You combine that with the politics and all the stuff I mentioned before that was shared with me… and no thank you. I’ll take healthy family relationship, two weeks holidays anytime of year and hunting season over that any day! (Although I do suspect based on the comments that it wasn’t always this tough!).