Old 12-11-2018, 12:07 PM

Default Wmu 314

Hi. My wife has a January cow elk draw in 314
We’re looking for permission of course
If anyone has any helpful suggestions that would be
Appreciated ps. Don’t want any negative feedback
Thanks !!
Old 12-11-2018, 03:48 PM

Bergen. They spent all of November holed up in 5 quarters nobody could get access to. Hunger might drive them onto the hay stacks of more accommodating people.

Grizz
Old 12-11-2018, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post
Bergen. They spent all of November holed up in 5 quarters nobody could get access to.

Grizz
That’s what my friends who lived in water valley told me, to the op it’s a hard area to get permission, this elk get pushed around as bad or worse than many of the 312 elk, that being said I’ve met some great landowners in thier over the years just look at a map and start knocking (politely) on doors, good luck.
Old 12-13-2018, 05:40 AM

Ya it’s oretty good up that way but the whole zone is decent. As mentioned there’s the issue with access. This year there were 2 cow tags given and a lot of landowners are done with hunters for the year. Our neighbour had issues with a group from the city that had no permission and were all over the place and I caught a guy on our place dragging an animal out there Hocher nearly resulted in shots (fists) being fired. The late season is tough if you don’t have permission prior is what I’m getting at as by this time we are all happy it’s over.

We had 16 elk shot within a couple miles of our place that I’m a are of and the herd is always on high alert. Still elk around but a bit tougher to get. If there’s a real dump of snow or cold snap and the elk start hitting bales you might find access easier but with the mild weather that’s not happening.
Old 12-13-2018, 10:46 AM

I was in 314 yesterday. Just knocking on doors and trying to introduce myself, not hunting, just plain clothes. I was hoping to gain some access to hunt coyotes.

Met some nice people, it’s hard to meet many because most have command gates. Unfortunately didn’t gain any access. I though it would be pretty easy for coyotes. Some really gorgeous land though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-13-2018, 02:56 PM

If the elk are there and you have a tag most of the farmer/ranchers in 314 will let you in during the late seasons. The general seasons, not so much. No one hates elk more than a rancher with a bunch of hay bales. Remember 214 is also a zone you can hunt with that tag but there’s a lot more smaller farms/acreages and access is a little tougher. There is also a ton of leased land in 314 as well. In complete contradiction to a post I made in a truck hunting thread, the best way for these late season hunts is to drive the wheels off your truck until you find them and then beg permission. There’s a couple of bigger ranches west of Cochrane that always have elk on them and they used to give permission but, for me at least, those days are gone.
Old 12-13-2018, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flatlandliver View Post
If the elk are there and you have a tag most of the farmer/ranchers in 314 will let you in during the late seasons. The general seasons, not so much. No one hates elk more than a rancher with a bunch of hay bales. Remember 214 is also a zone you can hunt with that tag but there’s a lot more smaller farms/acreages and access is a little tougher. There is also a ton of leased land in 314 as well. In complete contradiction to a post I made in a truck hunting thread, the best way for these late season hunts is to drive the wheels off your truck until you find them and then beg permission. There’s a couple of bigger ranches west of Cochrane that always have elk on them and they used to give permission but, for me at least, those days are gone.
Those days are gone for pretty much everyone, even the neighbours of the big ranches(of which my family members are).
Old 12-13-2018, 03:24 PM

Default 314

Thanks guys
That’s what we’re afraid of getting access anywhere
I have made a few calls with no luck
I guess we may have to pass on that area
Getting very hard to get a good area to hunt
Old 12-13-2018, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronc9239 View Post
Thanks guys
Why you go knock on some doors?
Old 12-13-2018, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronc9239 View Post
Thanks guys
It’s always going to be hard to find access near CALGARY, especially if you wait to the last minute.
Old 12-13-2018, 11:43 PM

Default Cow Elk

I also have the Jan tag for cows in 214/314. I have lived in the south end area most of my life and know a lot of people, but nobody has been seeing any yet. Usually I see them starting in late November around home but nothing. Rumors of a ghost herd between Big Hill Springs and Westbrook School but I haven't seen them yet and I live and work in the area. May have to head more north and into the trees. Not much for snow or cold yet so no real pressure on them to invade hay stacks.