Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 11-28-2018, 11:06 PM

Default new puppy!! house training tips?

Hey folks, get our new puppy on friday, the breeder has begun some house training, but likely be some work on our part. 8 week old border collie.

Been reading and searching the net, lots of info out there. Just thought id get some real world insight from the fine folks of AO.

so any tips, tricks, and advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.
Old 11-28-2018, 11:17 PM
Banned

I recommend feeding him large servings of home made chili con carne.
Old 11-28-2018, 11:32 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseknuckle View Post
Hey folks, get our new puppy on friday, the breeder has begun some house training, but likely be some work on our part. 8 week old border collie.

Been reading and searching the net, lots of info out there. Just thought id get some real world insight from the fine folks of AO.

so any tips, tricks, and advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.
Got a 10 week old Australian Shepard this summer (same family as yours - white footed herders). House trained very quickly. Just take outside every 1/2hr or so and use the words: potty potty. Treat reward generously when the business is done.

They're a smart breed, they'll pick up on it very quickly. My Aussie had it down in a couple of days and have only had a couple of accidents since.

Also be observant to their body language and activity. You can usually tell when they're looking for a spot, so to speak. If you can pick up on that and get them outside and give the command and reward, you should be well on your way.

If your lucky and the breeder had started crate training, they won't want to do their business in their crate so they will make it through the night very quickly.
Old 11-29-2018, 07:30 AM

For training a house pet, I recommend the book How to Raise a Puppy You Can Live With

Two tips

1) Teach them that "Come" means you want to touch their collar. That way, if you want to leash them you avoid the game of them jumping away when you reach down with the leash.

2) Be consistent. Use one command for one action. The command is "Come", not "come-on", "come-here", "here", "get-over-here-you-good-for-nothing-son-of-a....".

I have that problem with my wife (no, not teaching her commands), she wants to talk to the dog and expects the dog to figure out what she wants. Then she gets frustrated when the dog doesn't do what she wants.

ARG

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjemac View Post
It has been scientifically proven that a 308 round will not leave your property -- they essentially fall dead at the fence line. But a 38 round, when fired from a handgun, will of its own accord leave your property and destroy any small schools nearby.
Old 11-29-2018, 07:49 AM

I don't have a dog but I keep this book on my wish list:
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/186...0WQR7224&psc=1
Supposedly not only a great book for puppy training but also leadership in general. Might be something to check out.

"If life is tough, it's time to get stronger!" - Joel Runyon (reminder to myself)
Old 11-29-2018, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Au revoir, Gopher View Post
For training a house pet, I recommend the book How to Raise a Puppy You Can Live With

Two tips

1) Teach them that "Come" means you want to touch their collar. That way, if you want to leash them you avoid the game of them jumping away when you reach down with the leash.

2) Be consistent. Use one command for one action. The command is "Come", not "come-on", "come-here", "here", "get-over-here-you-good-for-nothing-son-of-a....".

I have that problem with my wife (no, not teaching her commands), she wants to talk to the dog and expects the dog to figure out what she wants. Then she gets frustrated when the dog doesn't do what she wants.

ARG
I agree with being consistent. Most important thing ever.
Any pet or livestock can be trained with that. Even our cat (which supposedly can't be trained) knows our routine very well. He listens to his name, knows where to drop mice and other stuff he catches, etc.

"If life is tough, it's time to get stronger!" - Joel Runyon (reminder to myself)
Old 11-29-2018, 08:39 AM

Very good so far!! thank you, thank you, tha k you!! 1 more sleep!!
Old 11-29-2018, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by josey View Post
I don't have a dog but I keep this book on my wish list:
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/186...0WQR7224&psc=1
Supposedly not only a great book for puppy training but also leadership in general. Might be something to check out.
Purchased!! Thank you.
Old 11-29-2018, 08:44 AM

On the recommendation of my breeder, for the first week, I woke up twice every night to take my pup out at 1 and 4am every night. For the ext two weeks, I switched to one time at 3am. By the fourth week , my pup was making it through the night without issue, and within a month, accidents were rare.
Old 11-29-2018, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
On the recommendation of my breeder, for the first week, I woke up twice every night to take my pup out at 1 and 4am every night. For the ext two weeks, I switched to one time at 3am. By the fourth week , my pup was making it through the night without issue, and within a month, accidents were rare.
Exactly what I have done with all my new additions...

Another member mentioned consistency with commands, we would make a list of the commands we wanted to use and post on fridge to ensure we were both on the same page. As well, use the dogs name first, then a command, this eliminates others trying to train your pup as they will never use the name first, so the pup does not respond to "come" or "here" alone.

Enjoy your new addition.
Old 11-29-2018, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sledhead71 View Post
Exactly what I have done with all my new additions...

Another member mentioned consistency with commands, we would make a list of the commands we wanted to use and post on fridge to ensure we were both on the same page. As well, use the dogs name first, then a command, this eliminates others trying to train your pup as they will never use the name first, so the pup does not respond to "come" or "here" alone.

Enjoy your new addition.
Great Idea, with a wife and 4 kids there is a house full, and I don't want to create a bunch of confusion. therefore I think a list of the commands is a great way to go!!
Old 11-29-2018, 09:23 AM

put a cheap bell on the door so the dog can easily reach. everytime you open the door to let dog out , ring the bell, within a few days the dog will ring the bell himself, give a small treat, lots of praise. from then on the dog will tell you when they want out. no more problems. my dogs still doing it 2 yrs later
Old 11-29-2018, 09:40 AM

When you take you dog out (every 1/2 hour) keep them on a leash. Take them to the same area where you would like them to go. The smell of the old urine/feces will trigger a response and they will do their business quicker. Once they do their business treat and praise the dog. This also make clean up easier. If your going to stay outside to play with the dog make sure the dog does it's business before you take it off leash to play.

If the pup starts circling take it outside. If it sits by the door, take it outside. If it whines, outside. They have doggy door bells. Basically its some bells hanging on a rope that the dog pushes when it wants to go outside. If you choose to get those, every time you take the dog out, ring the bells before you open the door so it learns the bells opens the door.
Realistically you wont always have time to make it outside so have some puppy pads set up close by. When you pup looks like it wants to go put them on the pads. Praise and treat if they go on the pads. As time goes on you can use less pads and ween them off of them.
If there is an accident in the house clean it up with an enzyme cleaner. Most household cleaners only mask the scent for a short period of time and the pup will be tempted to go in the same spot again. Do not discipline the dog if there is an accident as this may make it look for hidden places to do its business. Depending on the dog it could also make it fear you if your loud or appear aggressive.

"The problem was this little thing called the government and laws."
Old 11-29-2018, 09:54 AM

So we just paid big attention at feeding and drinking times, the pup eats, wait 2 mins and outside we go with lots of lets go pee, go poop phrases. Just got to be aware, that when the nose goes sniffing after eating and drinking, outside we go.

I could say who has to go pee and my shorthairs would go to the door, didnt take long and they learnt to let you know they have to go. I can't count the times I woke up to the cold nose to nose stare that my female had to go out during the night. Out camping, before night time in the trailer, go for a short walk, say go pee and both would go.

Also helps to have another dogs pee scent in the area you want your pup to do their business in the yard.

When my wife brought home a rat dog at 1 year old(chihuahua), she started her on pee pads. I didn't like that as the dog thought it ok to go in the house, of course missing by a bit sometimes so you still had a mess to clean. That stopped real quick and I took over house training, dog learned real quick to hold it and to let us know when she has to go outside.

Good luck with the pup, fun times.
Old 11-29-2018, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by makin tracks View Post
put a cheap bell on the door so the dog can easily reach. everytime you open the door to let dog out , ring the bell, within a few days the dog will ring the bell himself, give a small treat, lots of praise. from then on the dog will tell you when they want out. no more problems. my dogs still doing it 2 yrs later
X2

That's what we did, 4 yrs now, and it makes thing easy.
Old 11-29-2018, 10:25 AM

Quote:
The only downside to ringing a bell is, if you don't hear it, you have a mess to clean.

My 10 yr old Yorkie is (and has been all 10+ yrs) bell trained and while the number of times it's happened aren't too great, it happens. Both my wife and I are hard of hearing. Her home office is at the opposite end of the house from the back door. My home office is in the basement. So you can imagine what happens when he's standing there ringing the bell and we're occupied at out computers. Typically the mess is right there in front of the door........LOL

Luckily, like us, he tends to be very regular so we know his schedule so it doesn't happen very often anymore. However, when it does it's usually my fault....just ask my wife, she'll tell you!

We got a pug puppy about 2 months ago and I didn't even argue with the Mrs about bell training the pug....I just let her do it. If it were up to me I'd have the dogs come find me and tell me. It's what I did with my previous dog before I was married. He would come up to me and bark once and look at the door. I always knew what he wanted. Then it didn't matter where I was in the house and what I was doing, he let me know and I never had to clean up messes in my house.

Anyhow, enjoy the new dog. I'm loving the heck out of my crazy pug puppy! As others have said, be consistent, always use the same command words, and make sure the rest of the family does too. Most, if not all, dogs are slaves to their belly's so treats work for training........which is why professional trainers always use that method.
I am the captain of my soul.

***William Henley***
Old 11-29-2018, 10:29 AM

Congrats on your new puppy. So much fun indeed.

He/she is a Border Collie so training will be a breeze. Brilliant little devils.
Old 11-29-2018, 12:37 PM

Train the "go pee" command every time they are doing it.

Soon you will be able to kick them outside and say "go pee".

They figure out faster than most people not to krap where they eat.
Old 11-29-2018, 01:40 PM

Default training

when we got our pup the first thing breeder asked was do you have a crate? was best thing we ever did, made training so much easier, for both pup and us also he learned real quick that his crate was a safe haven, when we travelled his crate was not penalty box to him it was sanctuary, when he had enough of kids or people he would just go his crate, and we made sure no one bothered him it worked out great . It had a cover so it was like a den he could come and go at will and lay in there and look out. He was a 250 lb mastiff needless to say furniture couches chairs etc would be just destroyed with him digging at them, but he just dug at the crate mat thus saving destruction of other things.
Old 11-29-2018, 01:57 PM

train her to always potty in the same corner of the yard, less cleaning for you and no risk to step in poop
Old 11-29-2018, 02:02 PM

Thank you all very much. Very, very helpul tips, hints, etc. This is Nova. And i havent been this excited since my kids were born. I just want to do it right!! thank you again everybody.

Sent from my SM-G955W using Tapatalk
Old 11-29-2018, 02:16 PM

Make sure pup is confined to a smaller area in the house, show pup where you would it to go outside, I've always used a simple '' Hurry "" command, always take outside after a sleep or nap and minutes after drinking and or feeding, watch water intake after 7 or 8 pm as they dont want to have a full bladder going to bed, they are going to mess up in the house, its part of being a puppy, be consistent, dont get angry, lots of praise and consistency and they will get it, dont rub their faces in the Feces, it doesn't work, . Good luck .
Old 11-29-2018, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseknuckle View Post
Thank you all very much. Very, very helpul tips, hints, etc. This is Nova. And i havent been this excited since my kids were born. I just want to do it right!! thank you again everybody.

>>
Holy crow!! What a little gem you've got there. Wonderful!!

Yes, once Nova get the hang of it, she'll be perfect.

Once again, beautiful little puppy,
Old 11-29-2018, 03:39 PM

Congrats on the new pooch!

Lots of good advice here.

Be consistent, and concise in your training commands. Practice the KISS rule, keep in mind you are the last S in this rule not the dog. Lots of praise for the good things they do, and do not d'well on the bad.

BW
Old 11-29-2018, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Tried this with our current Britney puppy and it just turned into a I want a treat bell and an I want to go downstairs bell. Haha
Old 11-29-2018, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rig-Rat View Post
Tried this with our current Britney puppy and it just turned into a I want a treat bell and an I want to go downstairs bell. Haha
Yes, for a few months they don't know the difference between potty, treat or just enjoy the outdoors. Use your best judgement, if you don't give the treat when they don't do their business and if you refuse to let them out knowing that there's no way that they need to potty twice in 10 minutes, eventually they associate the bell only to potty.
Old 11-29-2018, 05:15 PM

Nice looking pup! Puppy breath is great isn't it!? My two cents...

I'm assuming this is your first dog?

A) While it's a puppy and puppies are cute, don't let her do things as a pup that you don't want her to do as a full grown dog. ie, maybe its cute to jump up, or nibble on your fingers now, etc, it's not so much fun once the dog is older. Set the rules and stick to them.

B) For what its worth, at least in my opinion, I teach HERE instead of COME. Seems that HERE can yelled louder and easier than yelling COME

C) When you're housetraining, try to link some sort of command to the poop/pee... ie Go Potty, Do your Business, Air out, etc. it will pay dividends in the future when can get them the go on command.

Since its a Border Collie... hold onto your hat! They are super intelligent! Hope you have some plans for tricks, or something/somewhere to direct the energy and intelligence! Dogs love jobs!
Old 11-30-2018, 07:24 PM

Well shes home!! good first day, 4 for 5. one accicdent. Lots of praise doing great. Thank you again everyone for the tips. So happy to have the new addition.

Old 12-02-2018, 09:18 AM

Congrats on pup.Will follow some of the posted advice when I pick up our new Cocker pup early January
Old 12-02-2018, 10:35 AM

Going really well, 2 accidents in 48hrs. Not bad. She really loves the snow!! wifes away for the weekend. This puppy is a great snuggly replacement. Kids are on cloud 9. My daughter spent a few hours with her yesterday and it would appear she now "comes" and "sits" on command. So far so good. Off for another walk!!