Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 12-03-2018, 05:23 PM

Default Anyone doing fisher relocation program

How many have gotten paid if you have?
Old 12-03-2018, 05:34 PM

Curious what it is? Never heard of it.
Old 12-03-2018, 05:39 PM

Alberta has a program to catch fisher live for washington state to be sent there after passing vet check.
Old 12-03-2018, 09:01 PM

Never heard of it... I’d be interested if I had been contacted for the program
Maybe looking at a specific area / genetics? I’ve caught a few dandies that would have been a handful in a live trap
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 6084F8F3-30B8-4FDD-A788-B5E7A7C2F115.jpg (18.1 KB, 253 views)
Old 12-03-2018, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flight01 View Post
Maybe looking at a specific area / genetics? I’ve caught a few dandies that would have been a handful in a live trap
That’s a fisherine!!!!
Old 12-03-2018, 10:48 PM
Banned

I’d contact this organization to get the straight goods on the program.

“While fisher reintroductions into the North Cascades including Mount Baker-Snoqualmie National Forest and the North Cascades in North Cascades National Park Service Complex were delayed in 2017 due to severe fires near our fisher source area in British Columbia, plans are underway to resume the next phase of the project in 2018, possibly with fishers from both Alberta and B.C.”

https://www.conservationnw.org/our-w...ldlife/fisher/
Old 12-03-2018, 11:08 PM

I wonder if washington is having a porcupine problem . Not long ago i was reading a 1982 mag and bc was paying alberta trappers for live fisher. Porcupines in the interior were reaking havoc on cedars ( if i remember right ) .
Old 12-04-2018, 05:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flight01 View Post
Bill Abercrombie is looking after it you can call them and see if they are looking for anyone else I know a few people backed out, his company is Bushman Inc
Old 12-04-2018, 07:58 AM

Default fisher

Rob M, has participated in the program. He wrote good story in last AO magazine ( oct issue)
Old 12-04-2018, 07:58 AM

I have sent 2 in and still waiting for the cheq just seeing who all has been waiting?
Old 12-05-2018, 08:56 AM

Picked all my traps and handling boxes yesterday. Oddly enough I received calls yesterday asking about trapping Fishers that are stealing cats, perfect timing. This is a good program for the trapper.

Spruce
Old 12-05-2018, 03:51 PM

My trapping partner and I have taken 5 so far. They were all caught in a 10 day span just before this heavy snow.

some day I'll shoot a deer bigger than my son's.
Old 12-07-2018, 08:33 AM

Thunder, do you have to include the total take of fisher for your line, or are you exempt for live trapped ones?
Old 12-07-2018, 10:14 AM

It isnt part of your quota
Old 12-09-2018, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSparks View Post
It isnt part of your quota
That is correct it is not part of our quota. Have not set any marten traps this year as we don't want to trap fisher and our small line we only take 4 to 8 marten a year any way so why risk killing a fisher.

TEH

some day I'll shoot a deer bigger than my son's.
Old 12-09-2018, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSparks View Post
How many have gotten paid if you have?
how much were they offering to pay per fisher? just curious.
Old 12-10-2018, 09:55 AM

Default fisher

If memory serves me well, they were paying $600/ fisher when talked to the American in Westlock this summer.
Old 12-10-2018, 04:20 PM

500us
Old 12-10-2018, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Grey Wolf View Post
If memory serves me well, they were paying $600/ fisher when talked to the American in Westlock this summer.
That’s decent cash for Fisher

How were the lucky trappers picked to participate in this windfall?
Old 12-10-2018, 05:50 PM

Wonder what the middle man is getting
Old 12-11-2018, 08:50 AM

Default fisher

Tork, the program was open to any trapper that wanted to participate, I guess until they ran out of live traps and wood boxes. Rob M wrote another story in this months trapper magazine, he caught 5 so far. Well done Rob should increase martin on our line next door.
Old 12-17-2018, 09:35 AM

Picked up 2 on Saturday. Both went to the zoo for their vet checks Sunday am. Likely getting a free plane ride to Washington tomorrow am.

Spruce
Old 12-17-2018, 10:08 AM

Geez u catch a fisher and it's way more money than catching a wolf lol Wonder how that wolf program is going this year!
Old 12-17-2018, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Grey Wolf View Post
Tork, the program was open to any trapper that wanted to participate, I guess until they ran out of live traps and wood boxes. Rob M wrote another story in this months trapper magazine, he caught 5 so far. Well done Rob should increase martin on our line next door.
Interesting. Was that an ATA deal ?
Old 12-17-2018, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nube View Post
Geez u catch a fisher and it's way more money than catching a wolf lol Wonder how that wolf program is going this year!
Is there a wolf program this year ?
Old 12-17-2018, 07:58 PM

There is, I just finished a 2 day wolf course paid for by the government for those with lines in the caribou zones. The program itself is to get final blessing next week I hear, pay for effort not results. ATA doesn't like the sound of a bounty. Goes against my grain to pay for effort instead of results, however 1 valid point is they may have already been through your line and poisoned and or aerial gunned them to non existence, but they still want you out there giving it a go. I am participating.
Old 12-18-2018, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boonerkiller View Post
There is, I just finished a 2 day wolf course paid for by the government for those with lines in the caribou zones. The program itself is to get final blessing next week I hear, pay for effort not results. ATA doesn't like the sound of a bounty. Goes against my grain to pay for effort instead of results, however 1 valid point is they may have already been through your line and poisoned and or aerial gunned them to non existence, but they still want you out there giving it a go. I am participating.
Good for you. I suspect when you spend a couple grand out of your pocket that $1057 check will be well spent to recoup your costs after you catch your 1 wolf....
Sure glad it starts next week well into trapping season already and past prime time for most species......
Old 12-18-2018, 02:35 PM

Start a wolf program thread. You guys constantly whine and derail threads. Don't like it, get involved and try and change it. Wolf program is AB government run...enough said.

Fisher # 3 going for a plane ride.

Spruce
Old 12-18-2018, 02:48 PM

I actually had some input into it this year Spruce! Said my piece and it sounds like it didn't do much as it is pretty much the same as last year along wiht some training.
Yup it is Gov't run and that is a big part of the issue. I realise that as well. Part of the reason it's not even starting till later in the season which is a huge deal. Most guys are done their marten catch and I doubt will be doing much more trapping. Part of the issue I got stung last year is because I spent till the end of Wolf season trapping them and really that time of year is the only thing to catch other than a beaver under 3 feet of ice....
Wonder how they hand picked their trappers this year? My line is in Caribou country and I wasn't invited! Guess they got their hackles up with some suggestions.
Guess I could make a big stink about being invited or not as well..... thought we were all about equal opportunity?
Old 12-18-2018, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nube View Post
I actually had some input into it this year Spruce! Said my piece and it sounds like it didn't do much as it is pretty much the same as last year along wiht some training.
Yup it is Gov't run and that is a big part of the issue. I realise that as well. Part of the reason it's not even starting till later in the season which is a huge deal. Most guys are done their marten catch and I doubt will be doing much more trapping. Part of the issue I got stung last year is because I spent till the end of Wolf season trapping them and really that time of year is the only thing to catch other than a beaver under 3 feet of ice....
Wonder how they hand picked their trappers this year? My line is in Caribou country and I wasn't invited! Guess they got their hackles up with some suggestions.
Guess I could make a big stink about being invited or not as well..... thought we were all about equal opportunity?
Done their marten catch What are you talking about ?? It's the middle of December lots of time and lots of fur to catch yet, if you don't like the program it's pretty simple don't participate I know plenty of trappers who target wolves and don't go looking for handouts. I do agree the money is a joke but move on and quit complaining