Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 12-11-2018, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooseRiverTrapper View Post
I’m happy to hear Lloyd got on.
Quote:
Wow lol. You are going to waste someone in HRs 20 mins of time.
Lloyd? Lol.
Old 12-11-2018, 03:25 PM

2005 wasn't that long ago (from AB Game Warden)

The matter of outfitter Lloyd McMahon and his company, Great White Holdings, has been concluded. The last update that appeared in this magazine involved McMahon’s appeal of the convictions. In summary, the Court of Appeal found the company, Great White Holdings, guilty on three counts of hunting wildlife without a licence, one count of illegal possession of wildlife and two counts of indictable fraud under the Criminal Code. The court also upheld the convictions of Lloyd McMahon, finding him guilty on two counts of hunting wildlife without a licence, one count of illegal possession of wildlife and two counts of indictable fraud under the Criminal Code. The court sent back five Wildlife Act counts for retrial. The Special Prosecutions Branch elected not to retry the company on these counts and those convictions have been quashed or set aside.

The next appeal launched by McMahon involved the penalties that were imposed. The Court of Appeal ruled on those on May 31, 2005. The specifics of the appeal may be viewed at:www.albertacourts.ab.ca/jdb/2003-/ca/criminal/ 2005/2005abca0188.pdf

The final results of the monetary penalties are as follows: Great White Holdings was assessed fines of $4,600 per count (three counts) involving hunting wildlife without a licence, $1,150 for one count of illegal possession of wildlife and $2,500 per count (two counts) for the fraud convictions. A total of $19,950 in penalties were assessed against the company.

McMahon was handed fines of $4,600 per count (two counts) involving hunting wildlife without a licence, $1,150 for one count of illegal possession of wildlife and $2,500 per count (two counts) for the fraud convictions. Total fines of $15,350 were assessed against McMahon.
Old 12-11-2018, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brendan's dad View Post
I just sent a message to Cabelas with a link to this thread. I would say we are definitely their target cliental.
Could you do everyone a favour? Please ask what their official stance is on this, and if any course of action will be taken by them. Tell them this topic is being followed by law abiding outdoorsmen that also shop at their stores.

PS. You may want to mention that some outfitters have openly endorsed Lloyd getting on the board, and they assume they(cabelas) will consider you contacting them a waste of time.

Unreal the Lloyd supporters and their arrogance. Another fine example of how some of outfitters really feel.
Old 12-11-2018, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Black View Post
Could you do everyone a favour? Please ask what their official stance is on this, and if any course of action will be taken by them. Tell them this topic is being followed by law abiding outdoorsmen that also shop at their stores.

PS. You may want to mention that some outfitters have openly endorsed Lloyd getting on the board, and they assume they(cabelas) will consider you contacting them a waste of time.

Unreal the Lloyd supporters and their arrogance. Another fine example of how some of outfitters really feel.
And how f d up this world is!!
Old 12-11-2018, 04:14 PM

forgot.

Maybe post the email contact ar cabelas for us so we can all have our input to them.

Thanks.
Old 12-11-2018, 04:36 PM

It’s funny how some of you will chastise an individual for a small error but have no issue with someone like Lloyd who should not even be able to hunt (poach?) ever again based on his history of convictions. And that he is even allowed to run and win a position with APOS should tell everyone what most have thought of that organization for a while now. It is guys like him who give all good outfitters a bad name, you would think instead of sticking up for him many of his brethren would be casting him out.
Old 12-11-2018, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocpilefsj View Post
It’s funny how some of you will chastise an individual for a small error but have no issue with someone like Lloyd who should not even be able to hunt (poach?) ever again based on his history of convictions. And that he is even allowed to run and win a position with APOS should tell everyone what most have thought of that organization for a while now. It is guys like him who give all good outfitters a bad name, you would think instead of sticking up for him many of his brethren would be casting him out.
All for one and one for all. I know as a free thinking individual I don’t have to agree with every huntiing practice just because (penned hunts for example)... but has Lloyd turned over a new leaf? Or is he still stuck in his ways? Time will tell. I think my Dad guided for Lloyd back in the day, if he was still alive I could ask for some stories. Going through some of his stuff when he passed I found some Great White goodies.

LC
Old 12-11-2018, 05:50 PM

A dedicated thread about Great White Holdings back from 2013 (among many others where the company was mentioned):
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showt...white+holdings

Another one about his "farm" from 2010 (maybe a thing of the past now):
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showt...hlight=mcmahon

I searched his name and his company on this site now and the weird thing is people have been saying the same thing back in 2007! Then and just earlier this year, they were surprised/annoyed he was still allowed outfitting and hunting altogether. Now the dude is on the board.

Still can't believe that story with the stolen antlers. If one wanted to come with something like that, I bet one could not even with a creative type of mind.

Someone in some thread mentioned that some reporter said there is not enough story to report or something along the lines. Seems to me there is plenty. Like I said before, good enough for a movie script.
Old 12-11-2018, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Wow lol. You are going to waste someone in HRs 20 mins of time.
Cool!
Old 12-11-2018, 07:50 PM

Quote:
forgot.

Maybe post the email contact ar cabelas for us so we can all have our input to them.

Thanks.
On the Cabelas site there is only a phone for customer service, I could not find an email. So I click on their Facebook page and sent them a message.

Here is the link to their Facebook page. If someone knows the whole story and all the details they could write it up on their Facebook page. That might garner more than 20 minutes from HR

https://www.facebook.com/cabelascana...paign=facebook
Old 12-11-2018, 08:16 PM

Great.

I have a slow week.
Old 12-11-2018, 08:20 PM

Quote:
You do like to be confrontational with anyone who doesn't believe(as you do) that outfitters walk on water, don't you?
lmfao !!!!

Oh ya, they all walk on water for sure, that’s exactly what I said 😂

I asked a simple question. For all we know nobody ran against him at the annual meetings and he was acclaimed into the position. If nobody jumped up that was there and challenged the 70 year old man about his past I guess they’re all idiots in your mind.

I never defended anything he did and as I’ve said 3 times in this thread already, APOS is broken and needs a major revamp. I also said he’s the last thing APOS needs sitting on their board.

I will say that maybe the old man feels bad about the things he did in the past, as people have mentioned already lots of us did stupid **** when we were kids, aand lots of people did stupid **** when they were a lot older too !!! None of it was right, but he’s paid his debt to the house, he’s square with the law.

There’s far more important things out there to worry about !
Old 12-11-2018, 08:22 PM

A lot of good outfitters are APOS members...partially because to operate in Alberta they have to be members. There are some great outfitters and some not so great ones. Not sure why calling Cabelas about APOS will accomplish? Guided hunters drop a crap tonne of $$$ in a Cabelas each season. Not sure they would give it a second thought..but maybe.

LC
Old 12-11-2018, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
A lot of good outfitters are APOS members...partially because to operate in Alberta they have to be members. There are some great outfitters and some not so great ones. Not sure why calling Cabelas about APOS will accomplish? Guided hunters drop a crap tonne of $$$ in a Cabelas each season. Not sure they would give it a second thought..but maybe.

LC
Money talks. The purpose is not to punish the good outfitters but to encourage Cabelas to let the APOS know that allowing Lloyd to hold an executive position is unacceptable. Someone posted they spoke with the APOS and were basically brushed off. I don’t think they will brush off Cabelas.
Old 12-11-2018, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post

LC
Perhaps making it a law abiding resident boycott thing vs. a shady organization thing, cabellas will follow the money?
Old 12-11-2018, 09:15 PM

Default Media

Has anyone contacted the media? It’s really the only way to get the governments attention these days.
Old 12-11-2018, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torkdiesel View Post
lmfao !!!!

Oh ya, they all walk on water for sure, that’s exactly what I said 😂

I asked a simple question. For all we know nobody ran against him at the annual meetings and he was acclaimed into the position. If nobody jumped up that was there and challenged the 70 year old man about his past I guess they’re all idiots in your mind.

I never defended anything he did and as I’ve said 3 times in this thread already, APOS is broken and needs a major revamp. I also said he’s the last thing APOS needs sitting on their board.

I will say that maybe the old man feels bad about the things he did in the past, as people have mentioned already lots of us did stupid **** when we were kids, aand lots of people did stupid **** when they were a lot older too !!! None of it was right, but he’s paid his debt to the house, he’s square with the law.

There’s far more important things out there to worry about !

Keep digging
Old 12-11-2018, 09:51 PM

All I can say from reading this thread is . Sounds like everybody hates a guy thats kill a bigger buck or bucks then most can even dream about .
I remember when I worked the oil patch 15 + years ago and that fellow in Sask shot the Hanson Buck . Most of my coworkers including the driller were from the area the buck was from . All they could talk about was that he was a poaching s.o.b. ect. They had no evidence and all they could do was talk **** . But he must have Broke this law that law because there is no way you can kill a buck off that size and do it legally. Some of the biggest loosers I have ever had the pleasure off meeting . Bitter little tiny men to be exact .
Old 12-11-2018, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travco1 View Post
All I can say from reading this thread is . Sounds like everybody hates a guy thats kill a bigger buck or bucks then most can even dream about .
I remember when I worked the oil patch 15 + years ago and that fellow in Sask shot the Hanson Buck . Most of my coworkers including the driller were from the area the buck was from . All they could talk about was that he was a poaching s.o.b. ect. They had no evidence and all they could do was talk **** . But he must have Broke this law that law because there is no way you can kill a buck off that size and do it legally. Some of the biggest loosers I have ever had the pleasure off meeting . Bitter little tiny men to be exact .
There is a difference here Milo Hansen wasn’t one of the worst convicted poachers like Lloyd is.
Old 12-11-2018, 10:06 PM

Quote:
You read this thread and that’s what you got from it? Was your job scrubbing the doghouse 12 hours a day everyday?
Old 12-11-2018, 10:11 PM
Banned

Quote:
You’re not even comparing apples to oranges there. Sooo far off...
Old 12-11-2018, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talking moose View Post
You read this thread and that’s what you got from it? Was your job scrubbing the doghouse 12 hours a day everyday?
Haha. Or the bandaid who got woke up from a 3 hr nap. I think he’s missing a fair bit of “daylight”.
Old 12-12-2018, 04:22 AM
Gone Hunting

Good morning.
While I cannot profess to know the gentleman being "ostracized" here, I do know that 'ol Lloyd knows more about killing big wt's than just about anyone that walks Gods earth.
Some will again, flippantly "ostracize" any such, as we have and continue to see with the industry and any of its small businesses. And thats just it, and thats the problem here. Afew have rallied up here in a contempt fueled rage? regarding a PEER stakeholder Assn. and over things in which they have next to zero complete understanding.
Everything is in the details, and without knowledge of said, this coon hunt some of you are on here, is nothing more than a moonlight walk with dogs that dont have noses for coons guys.
There is a board in place that is doing wonderful work as a stakeholder in Ab, as good of work as any other, and with ALL stakeholders best interests at the foremost in their minds, tasks and overall objectives.
This stakeholder group is an advocate for EVERYTHING that ALL hunters, anglers and trappers, among others, both want and NEED.
BE EXTREMELY CAUTIOUS ABOUT CASTING YOUR OWN PEOPLE AND CLOSEST ALLIES, OUT.

It's just Alberta boys... Take what you can while you can,, if ya cant beat em join em.

Keep a strain on er

Last edited by packhuntr; 12-12-2018 at 04:33 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 12-12-2018, 05:44 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Seems to be a logical choice....sign of the times for our leadership across the country.......

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 12-12-2018, 06:08 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
Seems to be a logical choice....sign of the times for our leadership across the country.......
Do you derive pleasure from being WRONG?
This is certainly not a lone wolf governance model here, such as we have witnessed with our current Federal and Provincial elected.
APOS is controlled by the MEMBERSHIP. The President, for example, is merely a SPEAKER, and is just another individual on the MULTI person elected board.
Some of you guys are simply out of control here.
I will stress this again. If some of you desire positive change in this province, please join the rest of us, and further our collective cause(s) through betterment of any of the multiple stakeholder associations/groups in existence today. Again, a GREAT place to start would be the AFGA....

It's just Alberta boys... Take what you can while you can,, if ya cant beat em join em.

Keep a strain on er

Last edited by packhuntr; 12-12-2018 at 06:15 AM.
Old 12-12-2018, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by packhuntr View Post
Do you derive pleasure from being WRONG?
This is certainly not a lone wolf governance model here, such as we have witnessed with our current Federal and Provincial elected.
APOS is controlled by the MEMBERSHIP. The President is merely a SPEAKER, and is just another individual on the MULTI person elected board.
Some of you guys are simply out of control here.
I will stress this again. If some of you desire positive change in this province, please join the rest of us, and further our collective cause(s) through betterment of any of the multiple stakeholder associations/groups in existence today. Again, a GREAT place to start would be the AFGA....
Surely your not suggesting that complaining on the internet isn't an effective way of making change?
Old 12-12-2018, 06:18 AM

When did convicted criminals become an acceptable face for an Industry promotional organization?
Next we'll have embezzlers as Directors of Accounting orgs or convicted crooks running for Premier?
I am amazed at those who would give this guy a pass on his offences.
I guess ethical hunting is not that important to some.
Old 12-12-2018, 06:23 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by cody j View Post
Surely your not suggesting that complaining on the internet isn't an effective way of making change?
Haha! Reality is, it actually CAN be. However, this in NOT one of those instances. This "witch hunt" that has taken place here is nothing more than a sick, erroneous grandstanding attempt by a select few, very ill informed individuals...
Edit. And as seen "slipped in" above,, they just keep coming...

Keep a strain on er
Old 12-12-2018, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by packhuntr View Post
Good morning.
While I cannot profess to know the gentleman being "ostracized" here, I do know that 'ol Lloyd knows more about killing big wt's than just about anyone that walks Gods earth.
Some will again, flippantly "ostracize" any such, as we have and continue to see with the industry and any of its small businesses. And thats just it, and thats the problem here. Afew have rallied up here in a contempt fueled rage? regarding a PEER stakeholder Assn. and over things in which they have next to zero complete understanding.
Everything is in the details, and without knowledge of said, this coon hunt some of you are on here, is nothing more than a moonlight walk with dogs that dont have noses for coons guys.
There is a board in place that is doing wonderful work as a stakeholder in Ab, as good of work as any other, and with ALL stakeholders best interests at the foremost in their minds, tasks and overall objectives.
This stakeholder group is an advocate for EVERYTHING that ALL hunters, anglers and trappers, among others, both want and NEED.
BE EXTREMELY CAUTIOUS ABOUT CASTING YOUR OWN PEOPLE AND CLOSEST ALLIES, OUT.
Fancy words you have there... but if expect us to believe that the APOS has, and I quote .... "ALL stakeholders (Resident Hunters) best interests at the foremost in their minds, tasks and overall objectives." then you must be off your rocker.
Old 12-12-2018, 07:07 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by brendan's dad View Post
Fancy words you have there... but if expect us to believe that the APOS has, and I quote .... "ALL stakeholders (Resident Hunters) best interests at the foremost in their minds, tasks and overall objectives." then you must be off your rocker.
Nothing fancy Sir, matter of fact the exact opposite...
Moreover, the proof of the matter youve alluded too would apparently be an incredible shock to you... The Stakeholder groups and organizations you "should" have membership in, will ALL be able to provide you with this related information. Nothing is hidden, and any and all Stakeholders including likely associated governing bodies, will unquestionably keep records on what they and their peers have done in preservation & protection of our collective culture and privileges/rights. Again, nothing is hidden, and EVERYONES associated accolades will be no different.

Keep a strain on er

Last edited by packhuntr; 12-12-2018 at 07:16 AM.